Large Family Question - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 8 ft Jayco Pop-up
Hello To All,

I am new here and am currently looking for a fiberglass RV. I am the type person who likes to research things out and have a question for the more experienced. I am a family of 5 (Me, my wife and three kids ages 8 & under). Do I need to look elsewhere for a camper, or will a fiberglass work for my family? Thank you for the help.

God Bless,
Jake <><

Old 10-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #2

Name: Linda and Dale and Dallas the cat
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
California
I would think that if you got the front bunks like a scamp offers, you could put one above and have two sleep end to end? Other than that, most fiberglass sleeps four and one on the floor under the made up double bed. Can one or two bunk in your tow vehicle?

Old 10-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
Expect a variety of responses, but I suspect it'll come down to what you want out of the trailer. If you want to sleep everyone comfortably AND have a bathroom available at night - the 5th wheel options are pretty much it (course, seating all 5 in a truck might be a might difficult).

If you're thinking conventional pull trailer - there's the option of putting some of the crew in the tow vehicle (not so bad if it's a conversion van anyway) or a tent (probably what we'll be trying out next summer).

The tent option really can be pretty nice. Set them up with some nice padded cots, run power into it for cartoons/video games/etc and they'll be pretty happy. If you set them ALL up in the tent - then the big people get the trailer to themselves - which has advantages.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Our camping trips in our trailer consist of 2 adults and 2 kids plus an occasional tag along friend. When we have 3 kids then we pitch a tent (we always pack one in the trailer 'just in case') and a couple of kids will sleep there. Our 13' trailer sleeps the 4 of us fine and I know another member who had 3 smaller kids stuck a foamy under the dining table bed for his smallest and the other two on the bunks.

I think it depends on how you camp. In our case we spend all our time outside (cooking included) so having a big trailer doesn't make sense for us - we really use the trailer for sleeping and storing everything. If you want all the goodies (TV and bathrooms etc) I think only the Bigfoot and 5th wheel trailers would fit your family.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 8 ft Jayco Pop-up
Thanks to everyone. As of right now we only do tent camping. Me and my two boys love to camp, but my wife is a bit of a city girl. I applied for a lesser paying job to be able to spend a lot more time with the family and I thought a fiberglass would be an economical way to vacation. I was looking into a pop-up, but my wife would want a bath. That is when I found out about Fiberglasses, and I instantly fell in love. I was looking at alternative ways to layout the floor plan of a 16' scamp to include more sleeping room. Maybe a hoss camper is the way for me to go.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I met a father and his 4 kids at a camp spot this year. They camp 2 or 3 weeks a summer and it's just him and the kids - his wife hates camping so they just leave her at home =).
Old 10-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00630__Small_.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	16187
I guess it depends on your liking but we have "made do" very well with what we have for a two week vacation twice for the 7 of us. Three in the Casita and 4 in the Suburban at night. (actually the 16' Scamp earlier in picture)
So maybe some in the TV at night like Booker says.
Glad to see somebody else in Ky.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
Actually given your description...

I'd go with the regular trailer. If you stick with one of the 16' floorplans you CAN get ones that will sleep 4 (with bunks) and still have a walled in bathroom (either a real bathroom or a room for a portapotty).

If the wife doesn't come along (or you're just out with SOME of the kids) you'll have plenty of room.

If the wife comes along and you have the full crew - move yourself and the boys into the tent. Let the city gal have the trailer (with it's amenities).

It's a real minimalist approach, but one that might work for you.

Offering myself as an example - we picked up a slightly larger trailer several years ago to better fit our family. But as fate would have it - my wife really wasn't able to join us very often after that. So - MOST of the time I'm out with the trailer it's just me and one kid. Sometimes they bring a friend along - course they PREFER being in a tent when they do that so I've got the trailer all to myself then.

Some of that MIGHT be changing for us this next summer (we didn't really want to deal with infants when camping) so we'll have to try something new.

mkw
Old 10-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #9

Name: Karen
Trailer: Formerly Bigfoot 25RB21 and Scamp 19
Colorado
If I recall correctly from my early investigations, Scamp can build a version of the side dinette 16 footer that switches out bunks for the side dinette so you could potentially have front bunks, the dinette that converts to a bed, and more sleeping space on the side, but you can't have a bathroom in that setup.

I think the answer to your question depends largely on how you plan to camp. I have been getting by with four kids (7 and under) and two adults in a Scamp 19, but after a couple of trips where we had to be inside for significant periods of time due to weather, the space gets small really fast!

For us, where 90% of our camping is in bear country, putting kids in a tent is not something we want to do. But, for others, it works. It really depends on how and where you plan to camp.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Bigfoot Trailers go big enough, and stay fibreglass, but used ones seem to be a bit rare
Old 10-09-2008, 10:15 PM   #11

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Old 10-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
This summer, our nephew camped with us for two weeks in the mountains. Although we had a bed for him in the trailer, he preferred his "one story mansion", .... our little blue tent ... set up next to the trailer. He loved every day, and shares his stories with everyone. Most state park sites have room for a trailer, plus a tent pad. I was hesitant about leaving him "on his own", but he had the time of his life... even on cold and rainy nights. Never once considered moving in with us.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:13 AM   #13

Name: Alan
Trailer: FORMERLY:Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
California
Jake and Family -

Allow me to offer MY 2 worth - just remember free advice is worthe every penny!!

We are in a totally different stage of life - empty nesters... so for us the fiberglass we perfect. I **DID** look at some of the tent trailers. WIth the double fold outs and pop outs, they have TONS of room. And they have heaters and such now. AND they have bath facilities. Check them out!
DISADVANTAGE of Tent Trailers, set up and break down. Pain in the rear. AND having wet canvas to deal with. And, all in all, call it what you will, you ARE still in a tent.

You are doing it right... research, research, research. Call Scamp and they will refer you to folks who own and you can see one on the hoof.

On a different note - congrats for making the family choice to spend more time / less $$. NOT AN EASY choice,

God bless...
Alan
Old 10-10-2008, 08:06 PM   #14

Name: Thane
Trailer: Escape
My kids are 6 and 8 and they often share the upper bunk (heads on opposite sides) of our Escape, Floorplan B. If the wife isn't with us, then I sleep on the lower bunk and the big bed stays set up as a table; so 5 could work if two can share a bunk.