Laughter Really IS the Best Medicine - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #1

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Laughter Really IS the Best Medicine

April brings us April Fool’s Day, when pranksters, jokesters and clowns really come out of the woodwork. Is it because April is that transition time from winter into spring? Certainly most of us out here are ready to welcome back sunshine and warmth after such a crazy winter. April, you deserve to be recognized as Humor Month!

Driving across our beautiful country, we drivers experience stressful situations. One of the biggest is being away from our families. Others include traffic congestion and those “four-wheel-drivers” who seem to have gotten their driver’s licenses from a cereal box. The list goes on! Does it ever end? The answer is no. As long as you keep looking for something stressful, you’ll find it. But by doing that on a daily basis, you’re doing yourself nothing but harm — and not solving any problems.

Instead of worrying or having negative thoughts, try having yourself a laugh. It’s free and all it takes is a smile. Go ahead, try it. It wasn’t that hard, was it? Smiling literally does your heart, body and mind tremendous good.

A recent study conducted by the University of Maryland compared responses to humor from 300 people. About 40 percent had suffered a heart attack or undergone a coronary bypass surgery. That group was found to be less likely to laugh in many different situations. The other half, with positive humor responses, suffered no heart health issues at all. There are several studies like these, all with the same conclusion: humor can be a key to wellness.

Scientific evidence indicates the brain releases certain chemicals after a good laugh, which creates a lasting euphoria. Humor is also what any effective family, church, business, organization or political leader uses in order to “break the ice.” It’s what makes people bond and relationships grow. Laughter and smiling are innate for human beings, and they show us some of the first emotions expressed by babies as they develop.

How often do you find yourself behind the steering wheel chuckling at something funny you’ve heard or seen? Think about it. When was the last time? Remember, it’s free and all it takes is a smile. Laugh, smile, than laugh again! Be amused and be amusing! Keep doing this more often and you’ll be amazed at how many of your concerns will vanish.

Enjoy your day everyone!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #2

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We are born laughing. Just look at a baby that laughs when you make a silly face, It is natural.

When a Moron cuts you off, laugh about it instead of shouting and giving the one fingered salute because you will wake up tomorrow being happy and the moron will wake up still being a moron.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #3

Name: Des and Diane (D & D)
Trailer: Boler 1300, 1977 (#2033, "L EGGO")
Ontario
Wow Donna! That's deep thinking and of course, absolutely right. Thanks for taking time to express it.

Des & Diane
Old 04-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #4

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Wisconsin
Thanks for the pep talk Donna! Helps keep our "mind right".
Tony
Old 04-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Des & Diane... thanks. I'm seeing a lot of negativity right now. Here occasionally on FiberglassRV, on my job, within my own family. Need to stop and realize most of the negativity is self-imposed. The ole cause and effect. Maybe it's the weather? Laughter feels much better doesn't it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #6

Name: Maggie
Trailer: 2010 Trillium 13' (California-made)
Vermont
Registry
Oh you nailed that one, Donna! Central Vermont was dusted with another 6" of snow to top off the 12+" still on the ground. And the day really tanked while listening to the Red Sox lose their first game of the season .

But then we listened to Abbot & Costello do the "Who's on first" routine ... and life suddenly looked better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
ole cause and effect. Maybe it's the weather? Laughter feels much better doesn't it!
Old 04-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #7

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Donna D...Thanks for sharing a laugh. Yesterday I had to have a stint removed. While on the Or. table the Dr. tried his best to make light of my situation!!! He said he wouldn't do anything "To shut off my pacemaker". Then he asked "What happened when the batteries wore out". He answered his own??? by saying "Install a new one". I said that they might have a recharger by then. He thought I could hook up my jumper cables to the car and hold on!!! I told him it was my wifes job to recharge my pacemaker and the Or. nurses started to laugh so hard they had to turn away...red faced.
Yes a little humour goes a long way!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: 24 ft 5th Wheel Shadow Cruiser
Michigan
Any Day we can Laugh,,is a good Day ! Ron