Leaning toward Lil Snoozy but new twist - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Nick,
If you call Scamp they will refer you to an owner in your area so you can see their 5th wheel live & in person. This also gives you a chance to talk to an owner.
We love ours, the Escape would have been nice too, but price was a consideration. We decided on the Scamp 5'er & have no regrets. Went for the deluxe model with the larger fridge, since that was a major perk. Everyone is different. We're not particularly tall, 5'8'" & 5'9" & shrinking, I am very wide, the the bed is plenty roomy.
If you're passing through PA, we'd be happy to show you ours.
Happy shopping, & even happier camping.
Ellen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #22

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen B View Post
Nick,
If you call Scamp they will refer you to an owner in your area so you can see their 5th wheel live & in person. This also gives you a chance to talk to an owner.
We love ours, the Escape would have been nice too, but price was a consideration. We decided on the Scamp 5'er & have no regrets. Went for the deluxe model with the larger fridge, since that was a major perk. Everyone is different. We're not particularly tall, 5'8'" & 5'9" & shrinking, I am very wide, the the bed is plenty roomy.
If you're passing through PA, we'd be happy to show you ours.
Happy shopping, & even happier camping.
Yes I'm planning on calling Scamp this week. I have some other questions I'd like answered. Since you ordered a deluxe how long did it take for delivery?

Where are you in relationship to Pittsburgh? I'm heading there in a few weeks to my sons.
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #23

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
One caveat about a fifth wheel for full time living is to consider how much of the pickup bed you are willing to give up for the hitch. It precludes having a locking cap or canopy to store stuff that you would not want to carry in the trailer, or make it easy to steal.
Just another point to consider.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #24

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
One caveat about a fifth wheel for full time living is to consider how much of the pickup bed you are willing to give up for the hitch. It precludes having a locking cap or canopy to store stuff that you would not want to carry in the trailer, or make it easy to steal.
Just another point to consider.
Yep. You're correct. I have considered that. Since I'll be traveling solo I don't anticipate that as a big problem. I travel pretty light. I do have a retractable cap which makes it fairly easy to get in place for storage if I'm going to be one place for a while.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #25

Texas
Hey Lil Snoozy

Thought I'd just bring this back to the top. After BigLew's additional pictures and his visit to Lil Snoozy I definitely want to take a look before a final decision. I've decided I really would like to use the bed of the truck to store the off season and other items that I just wouldn't wan to clutter up the inside. So Lil Snoozy I'm heading your way the first of July for a look.

Course I still like the suggestion that Francesca made earlier but if I like what I see I may just be ready to pluck down a deposit.

As it gets closer to a visit I'm getting a little more excited.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #26

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Nick

Did you ever get down there to take a look at the Snoozy?
If so, I'm interested in your impressions.
Or did you post them elsewhere, and I just missed them???
I've been gone for awhile...

Thanks!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think Nick has had a change of plans and is holding off in his quest for a trailer until next year, according to some of his latest posts.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #28

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I did read that- but I'd still appreciate getting Nick's impressions of the Snoozy, if he went to look at it!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #29

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
The Lil Snoozy would rate high on the 'coolness' scale -- and with it's two-layer insulated fiberglass shell, that is a definite plus, as is the queen size bed, especially for a couple. For our use the lack of full cooking facilities would not please my wife, since she loves to cook. But that is just us, I'm sure and I expect most would be fine with the unit as is.

One trailer that wasn't mentioned, at least to my quick read-through, that may work well for a single full-timer might be a 17 to 19 ft Bigfoot. They are a bit more expensive, somewhat heavier, but very well made and well appointed. My parents had a 5th wheel version some years ago, perhaps 19 or 20 ft. It was a really nice upgrade from the 13 ft Scamp they previously had.

However some years later when they were no long able for trailer touring/camping I asked my Dad which trailer/motorhome of the many they had over the years he liked the best. His answer was the 13 ft Scamp that he towed with an old Toyota pickup. I asked what they did about showers and that sort of thing. His answer was, the money I saved traveling with the Scamp allowed us to buy a night or two a week at a nice motel when we were on-the-move and not using full facility campgrounds.

Yep! He'd be in his mid 90's had his health not failed. Not surprisingly I have similar opinions, and I'd love to bounce some ideas across his brain again.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #30

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Sounds like you have inherited some of your dad's traits, Mark Twain said, "it seems the older I get, the smarter my parents become"
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #31

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, Nick

Did you ever get down there to take a look at the Snoozy?
If so, I'm interested in your impressions.
Or did you post them elsewhere, and I just missed them???
I've been gone for awhile...

Thanks!

Francesca
I didn't make it there. Many of those I was going to visit enroute had to change their plans so didn't make it. Also as someone mentioned I have also taken a new direction for a few months and am going on a mission trip to the Philippines. Once I return I will start my quest again.

I do wish I would have been able to make it as I was leaning heavily towards the Lil Snoozy. May still. Only time will tell.

« our view | Play Pac »