Leaving tomorrow for Backus to pick up new 16' Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-25-2017, 06:03 AM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Congratulations - don't they look great, so shiny under the factory lights?

That rear end sag of the truck might just be the perspective of the photograph. A side view would tell better.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #16

Name: Alice
Trailer: 16 'Scamp Trailer
California
Another pic of the car/trailer lineup

I am now home safe. Yay!

Here is another pic of the 4Runner and trailer straight from the side. I think it was just the angle of that other shot. However, when loaded with more weight in the rear it tends to fishtail at 56 or 58 instead of at 62 mph. I think I should get a sway bar. Is there a best kind that folks recommend? Also maybe check my tire pressure?

Also, I put a back-end cargo carrier, which was pretty heavy even empty on the back of the trailer to take it up to where I am parking it the other day and man oh man I felt every bump in the road on the way up. Maybe can't do that. Any advice?

Thanks everybody!
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp on top of Sierras2017.jpg  

Old 08-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #17

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Scamp 5th Wheel
Pensacola Florida
Leaving tomorrow for Backus to pick up new 16' Scamp

Best of luck on your new adventure know you will enjoy. I know you have probably received more info than you can remember but let me add one more thing. NEVER disconnect without putting chocks on both sides of wheels. Embarrassing to chase camper down a
Hill or trap you between camper and TV
Old 08-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceGardner View Post
I am now home safe. Yay!

Here is another pic of the 4Runner and trailer straight from the side. I think it was just the angle of that other shot. However, when loaded with more weight in the rear it tends to fishtail at 56 or 58 instead of at 62 mph. I think I should get a sway bar. Is there a best kind that folks recommend? Also maybe check my tire pressure?

Also, I put a back-end cargo carrier, which was pretty heavy even empty on the back of the trailer to take it up to where I am parking it the other day and man oh man I felt every bump in the road on the way up. Maybe can't do that. Any advice?

Thanks everybody!
Alice,

It sounds like you should adjust the loading to reduce the fishtail (also known as sway and snaking). In my opinion, a sway bar will help resist the sway, but it is best to cure the basic cause of the instability by keeping your tongue weight up in the proper range. While you may want to add a sway bar for additional peace of mind, the loading should be addressed first.

Here's a video which illustrates the issue.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #19

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Your picture looks like front of trailer is higher than the rear. (It's really hard to tell for sure). This means minimal tongue weight, not good. Trailer needs to be level or slightly tipped down on the front.

More weight in the rear makes it worse. There is a learning curve on towing. Google tongue weight and sway.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Fishtailing at normal towing speeds is an indication of an unstable towing set-up and should be corrected before adding any auxiliary devices, such as an anti-sway bar.

From your pictures and description, I'd say likely causes include: (1) low tongue weight exacerbated by (2) cargo box on rear, (3) tongue-high attitude, and (4) tow vehicle geometry (short wheelbase and long rear overhang). Tire pressure could also be a factor and (very rarely) a defective axle with improper wheel alignment.

Some suggested changes:
(1) Make sure your draw bar has the trailer sitting level or slightly nose-down when hitched and loaded. Get a drawbar with more drop if necessary.
(2) Add a device to remove play from the drawbar connection (Roadmaster Quiet Hitch, for one). That can explain "feeling every bump."
(3) Weigh your trailer as currently loaded- total weight, axle weight, and tongue weight (any two yields the third). Determine tongue weight as a percentage of total weight. It should be 10-12%. If the tongue weight is low, adjust loading to move weight forward. Remove the rear cargo box. Carry no more than a half-tank of fresh water and no grey water when towing. Load heavy items over the axle or forward of the axle. Reweigh.
(4) Check tire pressure.
(5) There's not a lot you can do about the tow vehicle geometry. Older 4Runners are not ideal as tow vehicles for the reasons mentioned. You may be able to slide the drawbar further into the receiver and drill a new hole for the pin to move the ball closer to the rear axle.

I suspect the one change that will make the most difference is losing the rear cargo box. That, combined with a brand new, lightly loaded trailer, resulted in a too-light tongue. As an alternative to a rear cargo box, consider a box on a tray over the LP tank(s) on the tongue.

When you think you have the set-up correct- level with 10-12% tongue weight- take it out and test it. It should track straight without fishtailing at all normal towing speeds and beyond. Start slowly and gradually increase speed. Try a little steering wiggle and make sure the trailer comes right back in line. Know how to use the manual brake lever at the first sign of trouble. I tested mine up to 70 mph, but I never tow over 65, usually 60-62 mph. Never a hint of fishtailing.

Once you are confident the set-up is stable, then add an anti-sway bar as an extra measure of safety.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #21

California
Getting my Scamp hitch worked out

OK, yes. Thanks for this advice. Scamp told me the ball should be 21" from the ground but you are right, it is a little high as is.

I had uhaul put on the hitch for me so maybe should take it back to them to look at based on the new information. Or maybe I'll just pick something out on etrailer.com with less rise AND less length if I can find it. They probably have a better selection.

And of course I'll check the tire pressure.

I'll look into it this weekend, but thank goodness at least I got it home safe and sound so now the pressure is off. I might also sleep a lot this weekend.
Alice
Old 08-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #22

California
To Herman Parker: Yes! So Scamp told me I didn't need chocks but I brought two anyway. I don't see how it is supposed to not roll away otherwise.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:28 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceGardner View Post
OK, yes. Thanks for this advice. Scamp told me the ball should be 21" from the ground but you are right, it is a little high as is.

I had uhaul put on the hitch for me so maybe should take it back to them to look at based on the new information. Or maybe I'll just pick something out on etrailer.com with less rise AND less length if I can find it. They probably have a better selection.

And of course I'll check the tire pressure.

I'll look into it this weekend, but thank goodness at least I got it home safe and sound so now the pressure is off. I might also sleep a lot this weekend.
Alice
I would look into the tongue weight first. I really think that is the most likely issue. If you do end up changing the weight distribution to increase tongue weight, the hitch will drop some.

I had some fishtailing on my first trip, too. Been there, not fun. But it can be fixed.

And yes, rest first!
Old 08-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #24

California
As for increasing tongue weight: Well hmmm, I've got double propane tanks on the front, and the bigger battery. Not sure how to get more tongue weight up front without maybe filling up the black tank or packing the bathroom full of something heavy anytime when I'm going somewhere. I've got the front bathroom in the Scamp, and then on the same side as the awning, there are a couple cupboards.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:54 PM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
(2) Add a device to remove play from the drawbar connection
(2a) The adjusting bolt under the coupler should be properly adjusted so there is not excessive play.

This adjustment probably doesn't have much to do with the sway you experienced, but it's something that needs to be done and that sometimes gets missed.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:56 PM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
You can easily buy a ball mount (the par that slides into your hitch receiver) at Walmart or any trailer or rv place. You probably just need one that is a couple inches lower than what you have now. But by all means, weigh that trailer tongue; a bathroom scale should work for you. Hitch weight should be 10%-14% of total trailer weight.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:06 AM   #27

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Hitch weight: just lowering the tongue will increase your hitch weight. Don't put a box full of stuff on the back of the trailer. Amazon sells a variety of hitch receiver stabilizers. I bought one for under $10.

Dont trust Scamp or Uhaul to make the decisions for you. You will be the one driving and at risk. Spend some time on google and YouTube and you will be an expert!! Not that Scamp and UHaul are not trust worthy , they are. But ultimately it is up to the driver to get it right.

FWIW, in the middle of our last trip, I changed out the receiver on our tow vehicle. It had been the right height for our old Casita but it was too low for our larger wheel Escape. $20 at Harbor Freight and I was set.

Towing a trailer regardless of size is tricky. If it's not set up right it can be dangerous!
Old 08-05-2017, 06:59 AM   #28

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Buy a drop hitch.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2inDropHollow12inShankBack.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	109828

Tags