LED bulbs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 13 ft Boler (built in Earlton
Registry
A while back when i was in Princess Auto , i discovered LED bulbs to replace the old ones we all know . they have 1157 and 1156 and other bulbs for automotive uses .They come in clear , amber and red . This may be a good inexpensive way to upgrade . I've seen them on sale a few times already . I plan on getting them . It's also good if you want to maintain the original vintage look of your trailer .
Perry Mac Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:41 AM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
A while back when i was in Princess Auto , i discovered LED bulbs to replace the old ones we all know . they have 1157 and 1156 and other bulbs for automotive uses .They come in clear , amber and red . This may be a good inexpensive way to upgrade . I've seen them on sale a few times already . I plan on getting them . It's also good if you want to maintain the original vintage look of your trailer .

Only buy one to try out.
I was very disappointed in the light out put when I purchased the same led replacement bulbs.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:35 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Only buy one to try out.
I was very disappointed in the light out put when I purchased the same led replacement bulbs.
John
You might want to check out the ones available at http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm -- there are [b]a lot of different ones!

There have been numerous previous posts on LED lights on this forum. The ones sold at Princess Auto in Canada I think have 9 LEDs, which don't have much light output.

Good advice to try one before you buy many, since they are expensive!

Brian
Old 01-26-2010, 05:37 AM   #4

Trailer: R-Vision
The problem with LED bulbs in an incandescent fixture is the fixture is designed to reflect
the light from the old style bulb, so the LED doesn't really work very well and is actually
dimmer than what it replaces.
Mike Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Registry
There are several good threads on the two Casita forums (Casita Forum.com & Casita Club.com) about LED replacement bulbs. Based on info there, I replaced all the 12v lights in my egg with LEDs. You can get "soft" white which have a softer, more yellow, more incandescent look to the light and you can get "cool" white which is very bright blue/white. We use the cool white over the sink/stove area and the warm white over the dinette for reading, computing, etc. Also check the lumens rating. I found some flat LED flat replacement "cards" with 9 LEDs on them that were rated at 120 lumens while some 16, 24, and even 36 LED flat units were only rated at 92. That made a big difference in the amount of light. I also used some of the bulb-shaped LED replacements for bathroom, over the bed and for the outside fixtures. I wanted to try all the various configurations. I may keep a mix depending on which fixture it's in or at some point I may replace them all with the ones I like best and that work out the best. One great advantage to LEDs, though, the LEDS really reduce power draw from the battery when boondocking. I've been very happy with the results. Also, it's a mod that I could handle. Both the flat LEDs and the bulb shaped ones had the standard 1141 bayonette base so it was a simple unplug the old and plug in the new. Even i could handle that one!

Also, some folks replace the standard, translucent plastic diffuser on the fixture with clear ones to get more light. I found in unnecessary to do so as we felt we got adequate light through the stock, translucent diffuser. Also Bargman now makes LED replacement brake light fixtures for older trailers that originally came with incandescent ones. Much brighter and a bigger, more square "light" pattern when braking. Our newer trailer came standard with the LED Bargmans and it is amazing how much brighter and crisper the brake lights are.
WtMtJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
The problem with LED bulbs in an incandescent fixture is the fixture is designed to reflect
the light from the old style bulb, so the LED doesn't really work very well and is actually
dimmer than what it replaces.
Check Ebay. There are 1157/1156 based bulbs that are multi-LED 'towers' We put them in three of our fixtures and they are fine, not quite as bright but really adequate. The ones we have came from China - no problems with delivery and the price was great, about $4 a bulb. Will post pics if anyone is interested.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I already have LED tail and marker lights but I need one of those bulbs i my interior and exterior (over door) fixtures. would be great to not have to worry about leaving one on all night. also heard they don't attract bugs like the old style bulbs do.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led lights, lighting