LED Group Buy - Round II - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post
FWIW, the question of cost versus equivalency on some of those eBay and Amazon sellers' products has been discussed on the mentioned forums. In correspondence with LED Trailer Lights related to that prior to this 2nd round group buy, he cautioned that those other lamps likely don't utilize internal voltage regulation circuitry (his are good from 8-30 VDC). This is especially important in RV applications where the converter is used with shore power for DC lighting, compared to an automobile that doesn't require such to avoid premature failure. True LED lamp comparisons should be made side by side viewing their circuit boards - not just the count of LED elements and advertised specs.

My only direct experience has been with the LED lamps I bought on the 1st round LED group buy last January. My knowledge on less costly product alternatives is second hand as described above. So as the saying goes, "you pays yer money and takes yer choice"...

LEDs are very forgiving. A voltage regulator is generally not necessary. The difference between them more than likely has to do with vibration testing.
A typical LED will operate between 10 mA and 30 mA, that's a pretty wide range. I always set the current at 20 mA, the middle of the range so that voltage swings wouldn't do much. Voltage regulation I believe is more like the 60s - 70s transistor radios advertising 12 to 16 transistors, when only 3 or 4 were actually used.
That's just my opinion after being around them and designing circuits using LEDs starting about the time they first came out.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #16

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian m. View Post
Just to clarify, the LEDs from the group buy that Jeff has been so nice to arrange, is from a company here in the USA that you can actually contact if you have questions. Definitely worth something I think. The above listed ebay site is from China, is full of stock photos that may not be what you are actually getting ,doesn't list the actual color temperature of the lights you are buying, and probably doesn't have someone you can actually contact if you have questions, definitely worth something.

The group buy bulbs are listed as 3150K which is warm like the existing bulbs in our trailers. Bulbs in the 5000-6000K range are bluer and whiter.
I think I'll differ a bit on this one. The bulbs are most likely NOT manufactured in the US. The chips probably from Israel, the assembled bulbs probably from China.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Brian
Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Correct, the bulbs are most likely made in China. I only meant to point out the difference you might expect in customer service between an ebay posting from China full of cut and paste information, and a company here in the USA with an owner you can get your questions answered. The color temperature thing is also important to some people. No actual temperature is listed in the ebay company. It's just a good idea to keep all these things in mind when making a purchase decision, IMO.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #18
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Just for comparison, these came from Superbright. At $17 + shipping they are pricey. In my opinion they are top quality. They draw less than 200 mA and produce a warm white light almost as bright as an incandescent 921 bulb. The flat design puts all the LEDs in one direction and fits flat in the fixtures in my trailer. Additionally there is a diode bridge circuit which eliminates polarity concerns and a regulator circuit that keeps the output light at a constant level for a wide variation in input voltage. I have seen similar looking lamps on eBay. They lack the bridge and regulator circuits. Quality?? Raz
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #19

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian m. View Post
Correct, the bulbs are most likely made in China. I only meant to point out the difference you might expect in customer service between an ebay posting from China full of cut and paste information, and a company here in the USA with an owner you can get your questions answered. The color temperature thing is also important to some people. No actual temperature is listed in the ebay company. It's just a good idea to keep all these things in mind when making a purchase decision, IMO.
Amazon has what appears to be the same bulb with color temperature listed for less than eBay.

All that said I bought the ones that are listed for the group buy last spring from the same place and I'm very happy with them.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #20

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I have purchased several different styles of LEDs from Ebay all for less than $4.00 and they have all been very nice and work well, I prefer a brighter white light.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #21

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
I have purchased several different styles of LEDs from Ebay all for less than $4.00 and they have all been very nice and work well, I prefer a brighter white light.
Nice to have someone in the same camp.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #22

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
My order for 6 came. I think I am going to be very happy with them.

I only need four, so I think two people might get the others as prizes at the Bemidji gathering.

We must be having record breaking weather. It is +46 out there right now. -45 would be more normal for January here. So far we wouldn't have had to remove the battery. As it is we had to back the car up and connect it to test the lights. Can't believe I even wanted to go out to the trailer to change light bulbs in January.

Nancy
Old 01-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Just to throw another possibility into the mix - I used a bunch of these from Hong Kong. Cheap enough that if there is a problem (they are not voltage regulated) just replace it. I have not had a problem with the ones I've installed. One advantage of non voltage regulated LEDs is they do not create RFI (make your AM radio buzz). They are warm white...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I would imagine 99% of all LEDs are made in China.
I've put LEDs in three trailers now and all have been the 36 panel led from China.
I've had only one problem and that was when I pushed on the panel a little to hard installing it in a porch light. Half the panel would not light.
I have tried the expensive brake lights and others and nothing puts out as much light as these or allows me to read as well.
They fit in existing trailer fixtures and are held in place with the Chinese version of VHB tape.
They were about $2.00 a peice including shipping when I bought my first one. I just ordered 2 of the LEDS Jon has been using to compare with mine.
Like Jon said, if you have a problem just replace it.
Ebay is nothing to be afraid of. Do business only with those that accept Pay Pal and with your Pay Pal account you will be protected.
John
Attached Thumbnails
LED 002 (800x599).jpg