LED Lighting ??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #1

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
LED Lighting ???

I've just bought a spot on a small creek to camp..Put up some lights to run off the generator..But since have thought about 12volt LED Lighting..What is everybody's opion about LED lights to light a small camp ground off 12 volts...I would like to stay with the type that screws in a 110 socket..That way I could use the aluminum shrouds your can purchase at Lowes or any hardware store...How can you determine the draw on each bulb to see what would work the best to save the battery life...
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Found this on ebay.
10W LED Spotlight Flood Wash Light Projection Lamp Bulb 12V DC Cool White D5 | eBay
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #3

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Lots of issues here. First when using an inverter to step up 12V DC to 120AC there are always current losses from inverter operation. Second 120Volt LED bulbs are not as efficent from a power to lumen basis as 12Volt LED bulbs or Compact Florescent bulbs in 12V DC or 120Volt AC. Overall system efficiency will be better if you use 12VDC LED's or 12VDC compact florescent. It comes down to what is most cost effective and your energy budget based on battery bank size, number of lights, and hours of operation.

Decide on a battery bank size based on your needs, charging capacity of generator, possible solar panels etc. Decide on how many lamps you want and add up the amp hours consumed by the lamps as well as anything else you want to power. There are lots of details that must be taken into consideration. It took me weeks of research and reading about 12volt power systems in order to get to the point where I was confident that my design was realistic. Start with this forum, also check out AZ Wind and Sun Forums. You may or may not be interested in solar or wind but battery power is at the heart of these systems and there are some great people and resources there.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
peterh has posted a lot of info on LED lighting. He has taken 110V fixtures and modified them to take 12V LED's. An advanced search of posts containing LED by peterh results in relevant 68 threads. Happy reading.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I run low voltage 12V LED lights in my Boler.
The lights I use are designed to be used under kitchen cabinets

Excellent light, low current draw and being 12V DC no inverter/converter needed.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
I've just bought a spot on a small creek to camp..Put up some lights to run off the generator..But since have thought about 12volt LED Lighting..What is everybody's opion about LED lights to light a small camp ground off 12 volts...I would like to stay with the type that screws in a 110 socket..That way I could use the aluminum shrouds your can purchase at Lowes or any hardware store...How can you determine the draw on each bulb to see what would work the best to save the battery life...
Randy I think the main issue with your idea will be the way most LED bulbs throw light in the first place?
Unlike standard incandescent bulbs which have an omnidirectional throw most LEDs seem to be more directional in throw making a reflector based fixture sort of pointless.

There are reflector based LEDs which would likely work better for your needs.

Finding them in 12vdc may be a tougher job too.

I am using LED rope lights inside my Casita and I have to say they are working better than I ever thought they could. They provide an even light with no dead spots because they are many tiny bulbs distributed every couple of inches around the entire perimeter of the roofline inside the trailer.

It sounds like you want to light the outside? So that may not work and finding them in 12vdc may be hard too.

Another idea is something like this:

Photographic Camera Camcorder 160 LEDs Light Video Lamp | eBay

I have 2 of them and bought them for shooting video but I did think of using them in Florida at the Scamp Camp to light outside during night time events we did this year and they worked great! They were under a carport and mounted to the rails aiming up to bounce off the carport roof.

They wun on a variety of battery types and voltages and would be easy to run on 12vdc too.

They are brighter than a Million Suns (give or take a few Suns) and the ones I have also have dimming controls on them.
They also come in a wide variety of LED counts so you could get less or more brightness for less or more money.

Just some ideas.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #7

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
What I want to do is have a string of LEDs that I could hookup straight to a battery when I wanted it nice and peaceful with no noise, that would run for say atleast 6 to 8 hrs and as far as battery size I'm willing to buy what ever it takes and recharge the battery during the day off the gererator whenits noisy anyway...My place is very secluded with the closest house more that 3 miles away..Got a bunch of friends coming out the help run wire up in the trees with sockets on them (1) run with 110 light bulbs with a standard plug and a second set with sockets for LEDs and setup for a battery...Now all I woud need is the best LED bulbs I'm thinking around 10 or 12 should do the trick..These well be around 15' in the air....Any good suggestionson this setup........................THANKS RANDY
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #8

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Check out the lumens/watt. The higher that number, the more bang for your buck. That first lamp has 900L/10W = 90 L/W. The wattage of the latter isn't stated.

Also check out the lumens per cent. On the first lamp you have 90L at $20.50 or 2.3 cents / lumen. The latter lamp has 800 L at $69.55 or 8.7 cents / lumen.

The first lamp is also waterproof, the second isn't. I'd go with the first one. In fact.... I think I may pick one of those up.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Lots of good LED's on ebay. I have seen a 30W version of the light I posted. A couple of those and you could light up a field. I kinda wonder how long they would last though. A 30W LED would have to have some big heat sink.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Solar Streetlights

Quote:
What is everybody's opinion about LED lights to light a small camp ground off 12 volts.
Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base uses a commercial version of your idea due to their vast acreage without installed utilities.
I googled "Solar Streetlights."

Solar Street Lighting, Solar Street Lamps - Top Solar Lighting Supplier

SOLAR STREET LIGHTS USA - ENGINEERS OF WORLD CLASS QUALITY SOLAR STREET LIGHTS | Solar Street Lighting

Sol Outdoor Lighting - Solar Powered Commercial Lights
Old 05-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #11

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Lots of good LED's on ebay. I have seen a 30W version of the light I posted. A couple of those and you could light up a field. I kinda wonder how long they would last though. A 30W LED would have to have some big heat sink.
Indeed. I'm going to get a couple of the 10W units to play around with. Heck... they even have a 50W chip. I'm figuring on mounting the thing on a big slab of aluminum and sticking some extra radiating flanges. I was going to buy one of their power supplies, but I think I've got some old notebook PC power supplies sitting around that might do the trick.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
There's a good reason that finding 12 volt LEDs in standard 120 Volt configuration. It's just way too easy to screw a 12 volt light into a 120 socket and watch the fireworks.

Tags
lighting