LED replacement lights - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #21

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ames View Post
The problem with LED bulbs in an incandescent fixture is the fixture is designed to reflect
the light from the old style bulb, so the LED doesn't really work very well and is actually
dimmer than what it replaces.
Here is the quote about LED bulbs in incandescent fixtures.

I also saw something about taping the inside of the incandescent fixture to alleviate this problem. Anyone know about this?
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #22

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Here is the quote about LED bulbs in incandescent fixtures.

I also saw something about taping the inside of the incandescent fixture to alleviate this problem. Anyone know about this?

Jane, I have tried the round LED lights and the directional led lights at a cost of 7 to $14.00 each.
I gave up on LED lighting as I didn't want to change fixtures, didn't like the expense or the lack of light until I discovered these comparatively inexpensive lights.
I enjoy reading and these are the first lights that work in my trailer fixtures that put out enough to read comfortably.
When you have 36 bright LEDs on a 1 1/2 inch square panel it barely need a reflector.
They work better than any LEDs that I have tried.
I have LED lights in every fixture in my 16' Scamp for about $30.00.
Any other change over would have cost 75 to $100.00 and not have been as satisfactory.
John
I attached a pic of one of the fixtures in my Scamp with the self sticking LED panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Led.jpg  
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Smile

I found that quote regarding the use of reflective tape when installing LED bulbs in incandescent fixtures. Wouldn't you know, it came from Frederick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Does your light fixture have a highly polished mirror reflector inside? These could work [b]IF it does.
My slimline fixtures had only a gloss white painted (Plastic?) surface, and it was not reflective enough for LEDs which are highly [b]directional, unlike incandescent. I have a roll of tape which has a mirror finish to make reflectors out of, got it at an industrial hardware store.
John, I see that you have been researching LEDs for some time.

Luckily for me, I have lots of time to make a decision regarding LED replacements.

I think that the connectors on one or two of my fixtures may be going bad. If that is the case, I may as well purchase new LED fixtures and bulbs. That would be very expensive and so I'll just "wait and see" what's happening with those fixtures.

If I do go to bulbs alone, given Frederick's tape idea, I'll want to find a quality product that fits my needs. I like your idea. I'll be interested in how well your new bulbs hold out over time.

BTW, I inserted your item number in the EBAY search area, and they came up with zip responses. Ebay may no longer be carrying those LED bulbs.
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
For what it's worth, the 150 Lumens Revolution lights are back in stock at Amazon.com for $15.05 ea.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #25

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Jane, some of my LEDs have burned over 50 hours with no problem.
I just ordered 2 more. I'm going to put a light in the exterior storage on my trailer and in the closet.
Item #170521701173. They also carry other types of LED lamps
John.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led lights, lighting, lights