LED replacement lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I purchased one 36 LED replacement for the 1156 incandescent bulbs in my Scamp to try out.
The 36 LEDs are on an 1 1/2 inch square card with a pigtail and a base to plug in. It also has stickum on the back to attach to the fixture
I just tried it out in complete darkness and it is more than adequate.
Most important to me is having enough light to read and I can with no problem.
It's a softer light than the incandescent, has a slight blue tint and they are much less expensive than anything I have found.
I have just ordered 6 more to change all the bulbs in the trailer.
They are $9.99 for 2 with free shipping on eBay. They come from China so it takes about 2 weeks to get them.
If your interested they are item # 170507325894 on eBay.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
John;
I also ordered a bunch from several suppliers. The first set of 2 had 1 LED not illuminated so I complained and was sent a second batch of 2. The 2nd supplier didn't send the 1156/1141 socket adapters and they also sent a 2nd set (Still with the wrong adapters) I gave up and installed them in my trailer.
The light is good, and the current draw is low. However, after several weeks, I now see a bunch of non-illuminated LEDs, in 3 of the 5 I installed.
This almost matches what a friend also found after 2 weeks in Algonquin Park. He also had separation of the red double sided tape used to hold his up. In mine, I just set them onto the lens of the old 1141 bulb lamps so they weren't stuck down.
So, for all interested, they do work, aren't too expensive, but are low quality and expect failures.
YMMV
Mike .....>

Quote:
I purchased one 36 LED replacement for the 1156 incandescent bulbs in my Scamp to try out.
The 36 LEDs are on an 1 1/2 inch square card with a pigtail and a base to plug in. It also has stickum on the back to attach to the fixture
I just tried it out in complete darkness and it is more than adequate.
Most important to me is having enough light to read and I can with no problem.
It's a softer light than the incandescent, has a slight blue tint and they are much less expensive than anything I have found.
I have just ordered 6 more to change all the bulbs in the trailer.
They are $9.99 for 2 with free shipping on eBay. They come from China so it takes about 2 weeks to get them.
If your interested they are item # 170507325894 on eBay.
John
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
The price of LEDs really are starting to come down now. Our trailer interior and porch light are already all LED lit, and it works really well for us. My LED lighting efforts in my home had not met with as much success until just recently, though.

Most of our home lighting is already done with low-energy fluorescent bulbs, but the track lights in the family room, where we use the lights a lot, were not. In all we had 260 watts of 12 volt MR-16 bulbs in the room. Often only half of those were being used at any one time, but that's still a lot of energy I'd like to save. Problem was there are no compact florescent bulbs that fit in with the room design, and the LED bulbs I tried out were miserable failures.

Recently, however, five and six watt warm-white MR-16 LED bulbs have started to show up on eBay and elsewhere. I tried a few of them out and have now re-lamped the whole family room with them, so where my lighting used to consume 260 watts, with 110 of those in our most-used lighting, we're now pulling down just 49 watts, 18 watts of which are in the most used lights.

Not much use for trailers, I know, but it demonstrates how far LED technology has come in the last five years. Five years ago it was hard to find anything that put out a nice, incandescent-bulb-like light, and when they did become available they were really, really expensive. Now bulbs that will save lots of energy are becoming more affordable.

But not cheap. The total cost of my ten replacement bulbs was about $175. They will save us money in the long run, but that was a huge price difference when the incandesent bulbs cost around $4 each.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
There's some interesting Info on white LEDs at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emittin...phor-based_LEDs .

It says that currently, most commercial white LEDs are actually blue LEDs with a yellow phosphor, and that this type is not as efficient as other methods of producing white light - like three colored Leds. Maybe there will be more efficient designs in the future.

I am afraid that a lot of these Taiwanese things are factory seconds. I used to deal with some of these companies that manufactured infrared leds and they would sort and grade the parts by light output and frequency. The parts were built by subcontractors for the big names, and there were a lot of rejects that couldn't pass the customer requirements, and they would be sold off for use in non-critical applications, like toys and stuff on the grey market. I imagine the same thing goes on with solar cells.

They probably work fine, but aesthetically, there can be problems with appearance and reliability.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #5

Name: Tina
Trailer: Bigfoot
Quebec
We changed ours at the end of last summer, everything is LED now in the Boler now, love it! The exterior light looks a bit strange with the yellow casing but all nice and bright for less energy needed to use them. A big plus when using the deep cycle bat.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=220632996442

Best model for the price!
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
There's some interesting Info on white LEDs at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emittin...phor-based_LEDs .

It says that currently, most commercial white LEDs are actually blue LEDs with a yellow phosphor, and that this type is not as efficient as other methods of producing white light - like three colored Leds. Maybe there will be more efficient designs in the future.

I am afraid that a lot of these Taiwanese things are factory seconds. I used to deal with some of these companies that manufactured infrared leds and they would sort and grade the parts by light output and frequency. The parts were built by subcontractors for the big names, and there were a lot of rejects that couldn't pass the customer requirements, and they would be sold off for use in non-critical applications, like toys and stuff on the grey market. I imagine the same thing goes on with solar cells.

They probably work fine, but aesthetically, there can be problems with appearance and reliability.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:

It says that currently, most commercial white LEDs are actually blue LEDs with a yellow phosphor, and that this type is not as efficient as other methods of producing white light - like three colored Leds . . .
THe technique is very much like what goes on in a fluorescent bulb or tube. Fluorescent lights work by exciting mercury gas by running an electrical current through it. THe mercury gas then gives off a high-energy, ultra-violet light that then excites the white phosphor lining the inside of the light tube, and it is this phosphor that emits the light we see.

LEDs do much the same thing, with one high-energy (blue or ultra-violet) photon striking a phosphor, which absorbs the photon's energy and emits a second, lower-energy (warm white spectra) photon but, as is true of all things, you don't get something for nothing. The difference between the high-energy blue photons and the lower-energy white light photons is dissipated as heat. Even so, LED warm white lights use 2/3 to 1/2 the energy of their fluorescent light counterparts.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #8

I plugged my trailer into the 110V and have left all 7 36 LED lights on for the last 40 hour's and not one is burned out.
I read somewhere that if they're going to burn out they will do it in the first 20 hours or so.
Just thought I'd do an update. Every light in my 16" Scamp is now LED and all for about $35.00.
John
Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
All my lights in my Scamp plus the porch light are 150 lumens Revolution by Starlight. Bayonet mount. $14.95 x 5 = $75

Click image for larger version

Name:	109_7816.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	29892 Click image for larger version

Name:	109_7817.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	29893

I love them and they have a little blue hue which does't bother me.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
If you change to LED for the taillights, use the RED ones, NOT the clear ones.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
If you change to LED for the taillights, use the RED ones, NOT the clear ones.
Haven't done that as yet but am thinking about it. And, yes when I was inquiring about LED's for the taillights the fellow told me to use red ones. He showed me the difference between the red and white.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
All my lights in my Scamp plus the porch light are 150 lumens Revolution by Starlight. Bayonet mount. $14.95 x 5 = $75

Attachment 29892 Attachment 29893

I love them and they have a little blue hue which does't bother me.
Joy,

That looks great. How long have you had these LEDS? Any quality problems with the individual lights going out?

I read another thread regarding LED replacements, and someone posted that because the "regular" interior fixtures are not designed for LED bulbs they don't give off the correct reflections. Have you heard this? You don't experience any problems with the quality of the lights?

JMP
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
I plugged my trailer into the 110V and have left all 7 36 LED lights on for the last 40 hour's and not one is burned out.
I read somewhere that if they're going to burn out they will do it in the first 20 hours or so.
Just thought I'd do an update. Every light in my 16" Scamp is now LED and all for about $35.00.
John
This is a pic of the led that I was referring to. It's installed in the standard Scamp fixture.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Led.jpg  
Old 07-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Joy,

That looks great. How long have you had these LEDS? Any quality problems with the individual lights going out?

I read another thread regarding LED replacements, and someone posted that because the "regular" interior fixtures are not designed for LED bulbs they don't give off the correct reflections. Have you heard this? You don't experience any problems with the quality of the lights?

JMP
Jane,
I've had my LED's since February and have had no problems with them. I've heard something in the past about reflection but don't remember what is was.

As you can see the Revolution plugs into the light bulb socket with the LED directed out. It's called revolution because you can revolve a bit to direct the light correctly. Now the one John used does the same are far as directly the light out as you can see in his picture. I liked the idea of simply plugging in the Revolution as compared to having to mount the little square pad as John does.

There are other plug-in LED's that have the LED all the way around and then some that have the LED's on the very end. To me they seem less efficient than either my bulb's or John's. Maybe that's where the reflection issues came in.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #15

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
sometimes things are sooooo simple!!
I had the whole LED thing sooooo... wrong I thought I had to re-wire the whole trailer --why I have no idea --too much tech talk??!!
now I see I just need to change to light bulbs DUH!!!-this I can do!!!

thanks for keeping it simple aka KISS
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #16

Question

Quote:
Jane,
I've had my LED's since February and have had no problems with them. I've heard something in the past about reflection but don't remember what is was.

As you can see the Revolution plugs into the light bulb socket with the LED directed out. It's called revolution because you can revolve a bit to direct the light correctly. Now the one John used does the same are far as directly the light out as you can see in his picture. I liked the idea of simply plugging in the Revolution as compared to having to mount the little square pad as John does.

There are other plug-in LED's that have the LED all the way around and then some that have the LED's on the very end. To me they seem less efficient than either my bulb's or John's. Maybe that's where the reflection issues came in.
Thanks again for the info.

I logged onto Amazon.com to check out the Revolution LED bulbs, and they are currently out of stock.

Where was your source?

JMP
Old 07-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #17

I purchased mine while in Quartzsite, AZ at Gamblers RV, $14.95

You can find them at www.pplmotorhomes/parts/rv-lights/12vledbulbs a bit pricey
at $23.95.

I saw them at Porter RV in Coos Bay, OR last week for $17.95 They have an online catalog.

This is the 150 Lumens not the 200 lumens which is much brighter.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #18

Thumbs up

Quote:
I purchased mine while in Quartzsite, AZ at Gamblers RV, $14.95

You can find them at www.pplmotorhomes/parts/rv-lights/12vledbulbs a bit pricey
at $23.95.

I saw them at Porter RV in Coos Bay, OR last week for $17.95 They have an online catalog.

This is the 150 Lumens not the 200 lumens which is much brighter.
I understand that we're talking about the 150 Lumens.

I have been researching LEDs and, for a little more than $24, I can purchase LED fixtures with the bulbs. So, I think I'll try to get the best price possible on the Revolution plugs.

I will be driving through Quartzite in December and can wait till then. In the meantime, Amazon.com may be restocking that product. I'll also try your Coos Bay source.

I have to say, you seem to spend a lot of time at RV stores while on the road.

Thanks again for your input!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #19

[QUOTE
I have to say, you seem to spend a lot of time at RV stores while on the road. [/QUOTE]

Actually I don't.

I'd never been to Quartzsite before and LED's were on my mind when I went there so I sought them out and was happy I did.

I have no RV parts place here where I live and needed replacement covers for my running lights. I took the opportunity to go to Porter's while at the Oregon gathering.

I do keep lists of things I might like to look at with hands on., just in case I happen upon an RV parts store which is rare. I've never been a catalog orderer which is what the web seems like to me. I like hands on before I make a purchase.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
1141 or 1156

I am curious about the difference between 1141 bulb bases and 1156. The ebay seller the OP (Perry J) referenced has the same items (2x 1156 36-LED panel) but Scamp says their trailers take 1141 bulbs for the interior fixtures (1156 for the tail light single filament top bulb): Scamp Trailers - Frequently Asked Questions
Are the 2 types interchangeable? I bought some (more expensive) LED bulbs in the circular format as 1156 replacements for about half of the interior lights in my Scamp 16 a few months ago, and would like to upgrade the rest, especially at this price. The flat panel seems particularly well suited to the Scamp dome lights. Can I use the 1141-type bulb?

EDIT: Never mind. After reading the description more carefully, the ebay seller also lists 1141 bulbs as among those this LED will replace. I will give it a try.
Tom Byron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led lights, lighting, lights