LED trailer lights / Non LED lights on tow vehicle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #15

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Only reason I want to change to LED's because they are usually brighter than stock bulbs.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:36 AM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I added LEDs to make the trailer more visible at night and bad weather. The original tail light arrangement was a single 1157 bulb at the bottom of a 9" x 5" lens with no reflector. I replaced the incandecent bulb with a plug-in LED bulb then added two sealed LED units under the lens. One of the new LED units is wired to the tail light circuit and the other is wired to the brake/turn light circuit. Lots more light without more current draw.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:43 AM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
I added LEDs to make the trailer more visible at night and bad weather. The original tail light arrangement was a single 1157 bulb at the bottom of a 9" x 5" lens with no reflector. I replaced the incandecent bulb with a plug-in LED bulb then added two sealed LED units under the lens. One of the new LED units is wired to the tail light circuit and the other is wired to the brake/turn light circuit. Lots more light without more current draw.
M1 series Marker Lamp
Old 11-24-2010, 06:08 AM   #18

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Hi Jim,

I replaced the tail lights and the clearance lights on my EggCamper with LEDs. No problem with the flasher. But, before that, I replaced all the interior lighting with LEDs as well. I did the interior to reduce the drain on the battery. I like the way the look, but more, I like the idea of LED longivity. They'll outlive an incandescent bulb by years.

Also, and you've probably discovered this. I replaced the rubber rings that seat the lights in the fiberglass openings. The new ones were relatively inexpensive and more flexible than the ones that I removed.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
well, 10 for head lights, 10 more for the rest of the car lights, 15 for the car battery, 10 for the trailer leaves little for the trailer battery

a standard 1157 bulb draws 2.6amps with both filaments on but the LED version of that same bulb only draws 270ma with both filaments on.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #19

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
Hi Jim,

I replaced the tail lights and the clearance lights on my EggCamper with LEDs. No problem with the flasher. But, before that, I replaced all the interior lighting with LEDs as well. I did the interior to reduce the drain on the battery. I like the way the look, but more, I like the idea of LED longivity. They'll outlive an incandescent bulb by years.

Also, and you've probably discovered this. I replaced the rubber rings that seat the lights in the fiberglass openings. The new ones were relatively inexpensive and more flexible than the ones that I removed.

Ron
Yes, I spent over $200 @ Superbrightleds and got both interior and the exterior lights with new gaskets, now I'm waiting for springtime when I uncover the Nestegg to install the exterior, the interior replacements already in. By the way we may have a rally next summer in the midatlantic area, hopefully it is not too far for you.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Actually, you may need to be careful going the other way, ie adding a trailer with incandescent lamps to a tow vehicle that is wired for LEDs. In some cases the wiring for the tow vehicle lights is not large enough to carry the additional current.

For example, I had to add a Trailer Wiring Harness to my RAV4 even though it was purchased with the "Tow Package". The harness goes between the trailer connector & one of the fuse panels under the dash. Had to pull all the panels off the driver's side of the vehicle to make the run.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #21

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Only reason I want to change to LED's because they are usually brighter than stock bulbs.
So why doesnt everyone that changes their trailer lights change their tow's lights too? My stock tail lights are as bright as the lights on the tow because I keep the metal reflector plates behind the trailer bulbs polished and mirror shiny. Many owners let these plates deteriorate or get dirty from road grime, which diminishes the lamps effectiveness.

I totally agree with DonDeutsch. What's to drain the battery when the engine, the alternator, and the battery are operating together to produce more than enough electricity to operate all your lights? S