LED trailer lights / Non LED lights on tow vehicle - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #1

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
LED trailer lights / Non LED lights on tow vehicle

Can you use LED trailer lights with Non LED lights on tow vehicle? I know you have to change the flasher to a Electronic LED Flasher on the tow vehicle to make the LED trailer lights blink.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
My last 2 trailers had 100% LED exterior lights and my tv had -0- led's and I never had an issue nor had to change a flasher. I'm in the process of retrofitting led's in my current Eggcamper. With less light draw I figure I have more available for battery charge.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #3

Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Can you use LED trailer lights with Non LED lights on tow vehicle? I know you have to change the flasher to a Electronic LED Flasher on the tow vehicle to make the LED trailer lights blink.

Yes. I replaced the tail light bulbs on my 74 Boler with red LED direct replacement #1157 light bulbs a few years ago and it worked perfectly. The running lights on the trailer and my car lights were all non-LED. I did not change the flasher on my Ford Aerostar, and have not heard that it should be required. The only difference is that the LEDs draw less current, which is why I wanted to do it, meaning less draw on the car battery. I will be doing the same thing on my "new" Trillium when I start sprucing things up in the spring.

Also, make sure that the LED's you use are the right colour. Unlike incandescent lights which give of all colours, LEDs only produce the one colour they are made for. If you put white or orange LEDs in a red fixture, you won't get much light output, so use red LEDs for a red tail light fixture.

Rick G in Edmonton.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I replaced all 11 clearance lights and both tail lights on my 17' Bigfoot with LEDs. The lights on the tow vehicle are not LED and everything works great with no flasher change.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Kevin, before you rush out and buy a new flasher unit, TRY the new led trailer lights (when you've done the conversion) and see if they flash with your tows flasher. I really don't think you'd need to do a swap on the car to power lights on the trailer. The trailer lights get their juice from the PLUG connecting the tow and trailer. If the lights flashed before the swap, there's a good possibility they'll work after with the old flasher unit.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #6

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
Kevin, how old is your tow vehicle? You probably remember flasher units that were "load dependent" and would flash quicker when a bulb was burned out. I remember these units had trouble with the added load of trailer lights. Most turn signals and hazard flashers work now through a simple relay that's controlled by the car's computer and I don't think that LED's would be a problem.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #7

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Reg. Cab long box
2 wheel drive
Automatic with a 4.8 V8
I will try it with what I have now in the spring.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #8

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
I am not opposed to LED trailer lights, but I don't really see any economy in replacing good, working non-LED trailer lights. The power draw of the old lights is extremely low compared to alternator output, but if you need new trailerlights get the LED if that is what you want.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
California
Registry
LED trailer lights, non-LED TV lights. Standard flasher. No problems.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I figure you are pulling almost 10 times the amps for a conventional bulb so maybe with 10 trailer lights you are using 15-20 amps and with leds 1-2 amps which leaves another 18 amps for your battery, I like those numbers. If I could, I'd switch out the tow vehicle also, particularly the headlights.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #11

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDeutsch View Post
I am not opposed to LED trailer lights, but I don't really see any economy in replacing good, working non-LED trailer lights.
It is not the economy Don, LED's are usually brighter and take longer to burn out. Both those make switching to LED's for signal and marker lights a safety factor.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
Registry
In addition they emit light quicker thereby allowing more reaction time to those following
Old 11-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #13

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
I don't know that the draw is being figured correctly. From Popular Science; "Your 55-watt headlamp bulb draws 4 to 5 amps from the car's electrical system,". If this is correct both headlamps draw 10 amps. Auto alternators output 30 -50 amps. Tailers lamps, non-LED, should be drawing way less that 10, maybe 1-2? That would still leave 18 - 38 amps to charge the battery right?
Old 11-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
well, 10 for head lights, 10 more for the rest of the car lights, 15 for the car battery, 10 for the trailer leaves little for the trailer battery

a standard 1157 bulb draws 2.6amps with both filaments on but the LED version of that same bulb only draws 270ma with both filaments on.