Lessons from Colorado - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-15-2006, 10:15 PM   #15

Denver likes to call itself Mile High and play up the image. Fact is, I-25 (which includes Denver and Co. Springs) sits on a gently sloped plateau that runs east into Kansas, which makes no such pretenses. The mountains start just to the west, and you have to get into them to appreciate the terrain.

Think of it this way. If you spent a few days in SF or LA, would you be impressed with CA's mountain scenery?

Of course, we in Indiana are more easily impressed.

Bob Smucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:25 PM   #16
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
If you spent a few days in SF or LA, would you be impressed with CA's mountain scenery?
You have a point.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #17
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
Notes for Gina- Denver was put where it is because it's at the confluence of Cherry Creek, route of the Smoky Hill immigrant trail leading from Kansas territory, and the South Platte River. That confluence made the place easy to find and reliably well-watered, at least for the first few thousand who settled here. It became the pre-eminent city because of the early Gold Rush finds just up the canyons to the west. Many other towns had more dramatic settings, including Colorado Springs, but only Denver had the magic combination of mineral wealth nearby and almost unlimited room to grow, and it's growing still.

The land around here looks flat, but I was surprised to learn recently that there's a 900-foot difference in elevation found within the city of Denver. The contrast with the mountains next door makes us look flat.

As for towing here, I wouldn't worry about it much. I'm the one who occaisionally raves about my positive experience towing a lightweight 16' Scamp with my Forester. I won't rehash all that, but be assured that our highway grades are long and not excessively steep, and sharp turns are rare. I find it possible to hit the speed limit on most uphills, and there's only one major paved road where I've resorted to 2nd gear for any distance (the west side of Rabbit Ears Pass).

The greater obstacles to camping here include the lack of pay showers at any campgrounds but the larger state parks, and the early closure of Forest Service CGs that mostly close after Labor Day, long before the aspens change and hunting season takes place.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #18
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Well, I will be towing there soon, but not in my Burro.

I have to take a small cargo trailer to CS via the southern route, across AZ, into New Mexico, then turn left up the 25.

Fotunately (Or unfortunately) I will be towing with my Jeep and will have substancially more power than I would with Element and Burro.

Since I will have nothing but time to look, I'll pay closer attention.

I get to do this trip there and back over Thanksgiving. sigh.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:14 PM   #19
Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We finally got the chance to give our 2003 Casita 17 SD a real workout this year with a four week trip to Colorado
Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom and experiences, Bob and Klaudia! Isn't it fun to be empty-nesters?

Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote