Let me introduce you to my little friend - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #1

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Let me introduce you to my little friend

My trailer is in the shop having frame mods done. So, I am stuck playing with other stuff.

The boss tells me that I have spent too much this year on the trailer, so the solar cells, golf cart batteries and Xantrex inverter, battery charger, and transfer switch will all have to wait till next year.

Before I purchased the trailer, I bought:
Eliminator 1000A/700W Power Box | Canadian Tire
This is actually the most recent of a string of these. Each one bigger then the last. The first one only has a 200W inverter. It also has a rechargeable LED flashlight that is removable. It was enough to get the mini van going after someone left their reading light on all night. The battery is losing some of its punch now. Typically we have used them, on trips, as a 120VAC source for the toys that we couldn't find a 12VDC adapter for. It also has a 12VDC power port (lighter socket). The battery allowed me to use a 12VDC fan all night long in the tent when it was just too hot.

I never purchase them for full price. Canadian tire eventually puts everything they sell on 50 to 60%, or more off. Every one of these power packs that I have purchased was bought on such a sale.

This one retails for $349. I bought it for $140. The display is a charge indicator when the inverter is not used. When the inverter is on, the display shows load. It has a HUGE, (heavy 25-30lb) battery! It says it is 33Ah. I think it is meant as a starting battery. There is also a disconnect switch on the battery booster output. In the off position, it checks the polarity of the battery. The LED lights up green if it is good, red if not. If green, you turn it on and it boosts. No worry about sparks. The accessory switch was left on in the Limo for two months, (we only use it for vacations). When I used this to start it, I flooded the engine. I cranked and cranked that V8. No problem it eventually started.

I now have a place for it under the dinette seat in my Trillium 4500. The PO must have put a battery there. They had installed battery tie-downs and wires back to the stock Trillium converter. You can see on the side of this unit, two battery posts. The jumper cables attach here. I connect the trailer to them. The van charges the battery pack when we drive, but the converter does not. This is ideal, since the stock converter is just a transformer and a diode. Not much of a battery charger, but the Fantastic fan works fine off of it.

This is what will pass for a battery, inverter, 12VDC outlet, and emergency lighting, until my wife says I can get the Xantrex.

Boaters have a version as well. It has a compressor, not sure why.

I really feel for poor American campers. They don't have a Canadian Tire store. Canadian Tire ROCKS!
Attached Images

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have 7 or 8 units like this and I don't think I paid more than $50.00 for any of them!

My research and experience tells me these all use either 7 or 18 ah sla batteries which seem to be common alarm batteries.
Since I am also in the alarm business I have purchased the identical batteries as well as much larger ones for less than these units by far.

I have a veritable "Battery Power Farm" at home and with me when I travel and for Emergency Radio Communications work.

The batteries easily charge with simple,cheap smart chargers easily obtained in the $20.00 range and are really just like small Rv Batteries in general.
Actually I have a few that are around 100ah which is about the limit of easy carry for me.

I am having fun.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
But will it will make coffee?
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We carry a battery jump start device as well. My wife received one as a gift when we retired. I initially thought it was simply taking up space, however it rescued us and others on numerous occasions over 11 years. We carry ours in the storage comparment of the CRV.

The same could be said for our small compressor. We use it to top our tires as we travel but again it's rescued others as well in our travels. It also travels in the storage compartment with spare brake pads, a fan belt hose, a bottle jack and a hiking backpack.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote