Let's welcome Valerie B.! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 5500
As a bonafide 'newbie' I'm now going through the 'Oh, M'God! What have I done? ' stage. Just bought a Trillium 5500 which is in fairly good shape (although not 'excellent condition' as depicted in the ad). Have yet to start on her other than to name her 'Trudy' (all my pets have names!). Several cosmetic issues, though none very severe;hubby rapped the frame in many places and declared it to be sound; a few electrical glitches; purportedly the water heater just needed an element before it was yanked, and no water system has been used within her for a few years, so hopefully THAT won't be a major issue; propane seems to work fine, but will have that system checked out and certified before using it in the bush! And, hey! She has her original upholstery which is in very good, (and pretty clean) condition. Not pretty, but...BONUS!Anyhow, I plan to restore her as close to her original beauty as feasible for such an inexperienced (albeit, very determined and 'game') person.
But....I don't know where to start. Thinking it would be wise to go 'top-down' and start with the roof vents..removing and making leakproof again; then pulling out & re-sealing all of the windows , as without doubt, they've leaked sometime over the past 26 years. And then...where ?? Can anyone out there recommend a basic, published guide that would assist me? Or, is there anyone out there willing to help me step by step? I hope to bring her home next week (and, am hoping even more fervently that I'll get her through my garage door , so I can work on her in all but the coldest weather this winter). My husband thinks I'm nuts, but if he wants to come camping with me, he'd better help with the heavy stuff! Sorry for such a long-winded post, but felt you needed to know just how much help I need. Pulleeezze?!?! THANKS FOR ANY/ALL HELP!!!!
Valerie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Valerie, welcome to FiberglassRV We're glad you're here. I'll leave it to the others to help with the Trillium questions... just wanted to pass my "Hi" along.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:35 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Welcome, Valerie!

Quote:
But....I don't know where to start. Thinking it would be wise to go 'top-down' and start with the roof vents..removing and making leakproof again; then pulling out & re-sealing all of the windows , as without doubt, they've leaked sometime over the past 26 years.
This makes sense to me, since there's no point in fixing up interior parts only to have them wrecked again by water leaks. On the other hand, if you can confirm that a window isn't leaking, I'm not at all sure that it is necessary to remove and re-seal it. I've been working through mine, since the sealing putty is obviously well past it's prime; however, I have seen no evidence that any of them were less than completely sealed to the body.

If a standard roof vent is being removed, either without a fan or with one of those little old things in it, I would seriously consider upgrading to a modern high-flow fan such as a MaxxFan or Fantastic Vent unit; it's more than a bit of work to remove and replace any vent, and it would be annoying to do it only to need to do it again later for an upgrade.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Welcome, Valerie!
This makes sense to me, since there's no point in fixing up interior parts only to have them wrecked again by water leaks. On the other hand, if you can confirm that a window isn't leaking, I'm not at all sure that it is necessary to remove and re-seal it. I've been working through mine, since the sealing putty is obviously well past it's prime; however, I have seen no evidence that any of them were less than completely sealed to the body.

If a standard roof vent is being removed, either without a fan or with one of those little old things in it, I would seriously consider upgrading to a modern high-flow fan such as a MaxxFan or Fantastic Vent unit; it's more than a bit of work to remove and replace any vent, and it would be annoying to do it only to need to do it again later for an upgrade.
Thanks Brian! I've noticed that you are very helpful to many posters. Hope I don't have to pester you too much! Like you, I'll be towing 'Trudy' with our Sienna 'Sadie' who's almost vintage herself, but still runs happily some 300,000kms later. What a sweet pair of old gals I'll end up with once I get 'Trudy' all dolled up.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:56 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I hope to bring her home next week (and, am hoping even more fervently that I'll get her through my garage door , so I can work on her in all but the coldest weather this winter).
Isn't the 5500 the largest Trillium made? [b]I am envious! I am hoping that you have a tall garage door...
Old 09-09-2007, 05:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Hi Valerie Congrats on the new trailer. 5500's are fairly rare. My advice on the new-to-you trailer is to use it. Fix things that you need; in use, they will prioritize themselves rather quickly. If you find leaks, then fix them. Not many repairs are all that difficult. Identify a problem, then search it on the forums. For most issues, there are often a range of repair methods, usually with pictures (which always is a big help for me). Enjoy and post a few pictures.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Hi Valerie Congrats on the new trailer. 5500's are fairly rare. My advice on the new-to-you trailer is to use it. Fix things that you need; in use, they will prioritize themselves rather quickly. If you find leaks, then fix them. Not many repairs are all that difficult. Identify a problem, then search it on the forums. For most issues, there are often a range of repair methods, usually with pictures (which always is a big help for me). Enjoy and post a few pictures.
Thanks Cam. I was told they were not common and that only 65 Trillium 5500 were ever made, which is probably why I'm finding NO information online about them. I'd like to get some additional history for my 'gal' (besides being built in Markham, Ontario), like accurate production numbers, construction method, measurements, specifications, tank placement, why only 65 were made etc. I've contacted the current re-newed Trillium company website for more information (even just information about the history of the Trillium trailers in general), but have heard nothing.
Something I'd really appreciate right now is a quasi-sketch of, say, a cross-section of wall, likewise one of the floor, and an x-ray type view (through the floor as it were), so I could envision placement of tanks, water lines, propane gas lines, electrical supply lines, and all 'things I should know about before I cut into something I shouldn't have'! All I've managed to track dpwn so far is a floor plan sketch; nice, but not much help, I fear! Hope someone out there is able to steer me in the right direction to locate such info.
Oh, and BTW, I've come to the sad realization that no way, no how is this old gal gonna get the 'other' old gal into my garage through the too-low garage door. So will have to work on her outside until the Northern Ontario winter freezes my fingers, and then hold off until spring. DARN!!!
Also,once I figure out how to post photos, I shall; maybe even some before/after ones if I'm brave enough!
Old 09-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Thanks Cam. I was told they were not common and that only 65 Trillium 5500 were ever made, which is probably why I'm finding NO information online about them. I'd like to get some additional history for my 'gal' (besides being built in Markham, Ontario), like accurate production numbers, construction method, measurements, specifications, tank placement, why only 65 were made etc. I've contacted the current re-newed Trillium company website for more information (even just information about the history of the Trillium trailers in general), but have heard nothing...
The connection between TrilliumRV and the original Trilliums is people. You might want to directly contact Tom Young by PM (member: TomA) or via e-mail (Sales@TrilliumRV.com).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #9

Quote:
The connection between TrilliumRV and the original Trilliums is people. You might want to directly contact Tom Young by PM (member: TomA) or via e-mail (Sales@TrilliumRV.com).
Finally....a lead!!!! Thanks Brian! I will follow up on it.
BTW, recently on some website (don't offhand recall which one now) I saw another Trillium 5500 owned (in 2005 according to the info with the photo) by a Joe MacDonald in Northern Ontario. Is there some way I can contact him through FGRV that you know of? Maybe I can 'pick his brains' if he's willing, instead of bothering you kind folk??? I sure do appreciate your patience.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Some info here
http://www.geocities.com/bolerama/trilliumtrailers
Old 09-12-2007, 05:47 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
<snip> Joe MacDonald in Northern Ontario. Is there some way I can contact him through FGRV that you know of?
He has set his e-mail to "private," but you can send him a PM that he'll receive the next time he logs in. Click here: Joe MacDonald Profile

BTW, did you see the current picture on the home page?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:00 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: And Welcome to the world of fiberglass !!! I don't know Trillium stuff but some repairs/modifications are general in nature so if I can help I will. Regards Alf S.p.s. Al Stansell on this Forum is re-building a Trill.5500... He might have some pic's
Alf S North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote