Let the grunting begin boys! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-29-2007, 05:05 AM   #29

Trailer:
Quote:
Here're photos of a Washington-registered Mercedes camper I saw in Alaska a few years ago, on which you can see the ground clearance compared to the nearby vehicles and also see that the pumpkins are **above** the centers of the wheels.
Indeed, a Unimog.

As a kid in 1960s France, a lovely old Citroen Light 15 swayed across the road towards us, hit the side of our stickie trailer (removing the skin all down one side!) and then collided head on into the French Army Unimog behind us. The engine was punched downwards out of the Citroen by the Unimog which had a ground clearance about 3" less than the hood height of the Citroen. The Unimog suffered some paint scratches!

Miraculously, the entire family of at least six climbed out of the Citroen unharmed. My dad always remembered the reaction of the French policeman who turned up when my dad pointed out that the Citroen driver was so drunk he was having trouble standing: "But of course, he has just had his Sunday lunch"!

Andrew

Old 03-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Not Landes but [b]Last-Kraft-Wagen ( last = load )
Lex, after I posted that, I realized I had put in the wrong L-word, but couldn't recall the proper one, even with the help of an old German dictionary -- Thanks for the correction!

As I recall, the automobile is PKW for Personnen-Kraft-Wagen.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:39 AM   #31

Trailer: BIOD Bambi 1980
Registry
Quote:
As I recall, the automobile is PKW for Personnen-Kraft-Wagen.
Pete, just 1 n to much: Personen
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:36 PM   #32

Here's a whole set of interior views of an MAN camper disguised as a Garbage Truck

MAN Camper
Old 04-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #33

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
it needs a dust ruffle.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #34

It's an OFF_ROAD GARBAGE TRUCK and they don't use dust ruffles...Duhh!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #35

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
That's really uptown. Why can't the windows be seen on the outside? Stealth windows that don't need curtains?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:36 PM   #36

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Why can't the windows be seen on the outside?
Because the photos of the outside show the upper shell lowered (closed) for travel,
and the photos of the inside show the upper shell raised (opened) for camping use.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:14 PM   #37

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
I'm no fan of this pretty fanatical and graceless approach to "camping", but the way this thing is targeted for extreme situations does seem to make some sense if you are stuck in the middle of the Sahara or maybe downtown New York.

Something that struck me positively is the way the kitchenware drawers are arranged. Some designer evidently spent a lot of thought determining the needs for silverware, kitchen utensils, cookware, etc. and then arranged everything into neat, easily accessible receptacles which keeps everything in its place and secured. Of course, the designer had the room to do this which we may not have.

The downside may come if the needs change, or you need to replace that item that fits perfectly and then can't find it. It would be interesting to find out how adaptable some of this stuff is. Maybe a little chaos can be a good thing.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:22 PM   #38

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Something that struck me positively is the way the kitchenware drawers are arranged. Some designer evidently spent a lot of thought determining the needs for silverware, kitchen utensils, cookware, etc. and then arranged everything into neat, easily accessible receptacles which keeps everything in its place and [b]secured. Of course, the designer had the room to do this which we may not have.

Maybe a little chaos can be a [b]good thing.
Only if your chaos is in a separate vehicle (back in the trailer) where you CAN'T HEAR IT RATTLING AROUND AND MAKING A LOT OF NOISE!

My friend Kathy test drove a motorhome once and swore that she'd NEVER buy one. All of the noise the "stuff" makes as you are driving down the highway completely unnerved her. She hated being confined in the same compartment as the "stuff".
Old 04-05-2007, 01:00 AM   #39

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Pete.. NO NO NO.

You HAVE to have the dust ruffles to hide the rocket launchers! Everyone knows THAT!
Old 04-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #40

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Here's a whole set of interior views of an MAN camper disguised as a Garbage Truck
MAN Camper
Yep, that's the one we discussed in the other topic, which I linked in a previous post. I still don't think it looks much like a garbage truck.

I like the idea of the fitted interior, to keep stuff from rattling, to make missing items more apparent, and to encourage putting things away. I suspect anyone who can afford a unit like this can afford the fitted supplies...

I found some photos of the Pinzgauer-based camper which I mentioned earlier. Sorry for the image quality... they are from a poor cell phone camera:

Name:   PinzgauerCamper.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  49.7 KB

For scale, I should mention that this truck is quite small - no larger than a full-size pickup - those are little wheels, not anything like the ones on the MAN. The Pinzgauer is normally a sort of van body, which has been cut off to make a shallow-tray pickup; the camper is carried on that, and connected to the cab.
Attached Images

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #41

I missed the previous link -- I got it from another rv group (where it was also in two threads!) and someone there mentioned they had seen it on a woodworker's group because of the custom cutlery and cup containers.