Let's get organized - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Let's get organized

Moderator's note: this topic was split off from Question about Ventilation - Avoiding Condensation

Sticky notes on steering wheel act as good reminders of such things, like raise tongue jack, latch cabinets, remove wheel chocks, or whatever other things you may forget that are out of the ordinary.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #2

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I have all kinds of organization things to attend to with the scamp. For one, I need to type up a list to check off and call upon it before camping. Second, I need to get some order with supplies. Plastic bins to hold stuff that " goes together" to form a kit if you will. When I camp, it's different most every time because I can't seem to remember where the heck I put things! That causes me some annoyance and stress.

So OK then. Tomorrow night I'm going to hook up to the van so I'm ready to go in am. My van to trailer hook up is perfectly level, so no need to worry about tongue jack adjustments. I bought a special 2" ball from Curt with a 1" rise on the shank which gave me a perfectly level setup on a 2" drop ball mount.

Thank you all ever so much for your time and kind help. Hey, it stopped raining!!! (For now anyway)😃

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:11 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Wendy, just try to stay organized between using 3 or 4 different campers like we do. There's a real problem of where did I put things. Ends up always a fun trip though.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #4

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
I've found a smartphone app, List Master, that I've found to be really useful as a check list for camping. As I check each item off it goes to the bottom of the list instead of being deleted so the same list can be used over and over.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC2887.JPG  
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #5

New York
Registry
Just saw this list master app. Costs $9.99. The free version only let's you have 30 items. Sure would beat pieces of paper which I'd probably lose anyway! So you really like it?

Old 06-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #6

New York
Registry
Mary and Bob, I think I'd not only Lose my stuff with 3 trailers, I'd lose my mind! As I get older, it's getting harder to keep sharp and keep it all in my noggin. Sigh. 😌

Old 06-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Just saw this list master app. Costs $9.99. The free version only let's you have 30 items. Sure would beat pieces of paper which I'd probably lose anyway! So you really like it?

When my checklist exceeds 30 items.... staying home will start looking good.
Of course for some of us that's just our medications and health checks.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #8

New York
Registry
Haha! The medications, now that's a real one. Forgetting my thyroid meds is a sure fire way to be certain to forget everything else! 😊.

I don't keep foodstuffs and other items in the trailer or tow vehicle between trips, so going beyond 30 items in a list is unfortunately easy to do.

Been a camper now for at least six years, but am only beginning to feel certain about remembering certain things. Sometimes, it's even forgetting my pillow. Duh.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #9

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post

Is it 30 "Items" or 30 "Lists"? I didn't see any limitations. What I do notice is the paid for app is add free and costs $1.99 not $9.99. I'm using the freebe and do like it. Right now I have 5 lists with a total of 88 "Items", 25 in my "Breaking Camp" list, 22 in my "Pre Check List", etc. Many of the "Pre Check List" and "Breaking Camp" list are redundant, such as checking the hitch, the lights, the brakes and putting away the entry step.
2012 4Runner Ltd
Old 06-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have a "colored" check list I generated using Excel. I have apx 75 mandatory items I check BEFORE I leave the house with the Scamp each time. Every item is "checked" or I dont leave. That's just me.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #11

Name: roy
Trailer: Casita 16', Sunrader 18'
Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to roy vannoy
I also down loaded the master list Free. I would like to see more ideas for items you have installed on your list to include on mine. Thanks.
roy vannoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:31 AM   #12

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
Hi All,

I have three large bins, different colors for items to take camping.a list of what should be in there is in pernament marker on lid. If I am looking for clothing, it is in the clear bin...etc.

The electrical cords, flashlights, batteries etc are in the one bunker beside the door, easy to access. Games, books above the dinette table. And so on.
Anything to do with set up is in the bunker under the seating area with the outside hatch door.

The cheap dollar store bins are great for storing things I want in the cupboards..mosquito coils, matches, bug spray. Other ones hold craft suppliesupplies. The lids insure that the matches work.

Trailer and fix it tools in a medium size bin in the back bunker.

I'm sure you get the picture. It was annoying to me to set this all up but once done, we can find anything in the trailer in the darkest of nights.

At the end of season everything comes inside in bins, cleaned and re packed. The trailer is washed down inside, washed and waxed outside, mouse proofed and locked up.

I spent my first year with my Boiler fishing around trying to find stuff and decided that was enough of that.

Now, just clean the trailer inside and out, get it safety checked, load and position my bins, grill and screen house and go RVing!

Have a great summer, Linda
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #13

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy vannoy View Post
I also down loaded the master list Free. I would like to see more ideas for items you have installed on your list to include on mine. Thanks.
Happy to share what I've got so far. I like that I have my smartphone with me so if I get distracted for any reason I can see where I left off or even add to the list if needed.

Ooops, I now see I need to add "Verify Refrigerator is Working" to the "Breaking Camp" list.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC2888.JPG   _DSC2889.jpg  

_DSC2890.jpg   _DSC2891.jpg  

_DSC2892.jpg   _DSC2893.jpg  

2012 4Runner Ltd
Old 06-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #14

Ontario
lists

Great lists. In my case, make sure meds and c pap is in van with me.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #15

Name: roy
Trailer: Casita 16', Sunrader 18'
Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to roy vannoy
Thanks for sharing the check lists.
roy vannoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:53 PM   #16

Ontario
I have a binder in my Boler that contains all receipts of work done to it, sales slips for tires, plumbing parts etc. I think it a good idea to add those check lists. Also the same lists in my maintenance binder in my van.

Thank you for sharing your list and just the idea of having one. I do all of that automatically but I could easily overlook something.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:58 AM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Rename this thread???

Perhaps this thread should be renamed as it has evolved into Organization ideas, a topic which may have greater interest than the original.

If so, I don't know how to do that and will leave it to the more knowledgeable.

David
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #18
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
This thread was split from the original thread, because both are good discussions.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #19

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
Great approach, OneOleMan. One of the things we've done is to create a cheat sheet similar to that listing each task in order for both set-up and take-down, and then laminated it so that it was durable. That way we can go through it as a sort of checklist each time to make sure we haven't neglected anything or done anything out of order (like removing the wheel chocks before connecting the Scamp to the tow vehicle!). Once it becomes old hat and you stop feeling the need to check the list, that's when you'll get into trouble.
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #20

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
Once it becomes old hat and you stop feeling the need to check the list, that's when you'll get into trouble.
Soooo true
2012 4Runner Ltd