Leveling blocks, etc. for solo? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2017, 04:35 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Leveling blocks, etc. for solo?

Just curious what sort of side-to-side leveling blocks people have found best to use when setting up solo. I guess any system would require some visits back there, but minimizing that might be good.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:59 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I use 2x6" wood blocks. Just cut a board.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I use a BAL Small Trailer Wheel Leveler and have for almost 12 years. I wouldn't be without it. Follow This link to see.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:54 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Over the years I have acquired a few sets of those 8X8 plastic, stackable lifts. The sets are in a nice bag and holds 12. you have to build these up like this but they interlock
---- -----
------ ----- -----
------- ------- ------ ------
I have never had to go higher then 3 high and each one lifts 1 inch.
I also had welded to frame 4 jacks on the corners of the frame that stops any wriggling of the Boler. I like the 8 inch wide so the whole of tire fits on platform
Gerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm with Byron, I use the BAL Leveler. Now with my tandem axle, I use TWO.

I just park where I want, BAL goes under the tires, lift... and done.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #6

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Bob, take a look at the Anderson leveler as well. Simple, effective and easy to use.
Attached Images

Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:05 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
California
I use the Anderson and it's great, but usually there are two of us. When I'm by myself I have to keep getting in and out of the truck to check the level. I haven't used the BAL, but if I was going solo I would seriously look into it.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Boler
Registry
The BAL Leveler works even when you can't leave the TV attached to pull the TT onto blocks.

Quite often we are on a site where the best view out the back window of the "Little Pumpkin" is in a direction where it needs to be disconnected and swung around by hand.
Rick Heemskerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #9

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 19
California
Another vote for the BAL leveler. I started with wood, went to plastic blocks and then got the Anderson. I liked the Anderson, but on occasion, I would go to far or not get it straight and it would get crooked and I'd have to start over. With the BAL, it's a one and done.
MaryLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #10

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
Ditto on the BALL Leveler. I often travel alone and love it. Also great because it's a perfect chock even when you don't need leveling.
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I tried the Anderson Leveler and had success with it, but now use the BAL Leveler. Both work fine, but the BAL is easier. I store it in a padded pizza delivery bag thanks to a tip I read here on the forum. Another neat trick to help you level when you're solo is to attach the bigger sized bubble level (6" or larger) on the front of your trailer. Place it high enough that you can see it looking thru your back window, or possibly with the rear view mirror. Pulling your trailer just a few feet forward or backward can make leveling easier.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I boondock a lot. Level ground isn't usually available. I have jacks on the four corners that can adjust my unit side to side and front to back. I carry about a dozen pieces of 2 x 10 about a foot long to place under the jacks as necessary.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I travel solo & use the Anderson Leveler (now 2 of them since I now have an Escape 21). I watch the belly band through the rear view mirrors and usually get the trailer level with one or at most 2 tries.

The BAL leveler does have the advantage that you can level the trailer without moving it (while disconnected from the tow vehicle), but it does take up more storage space, may not fit some 15" tires, & takes a bit longer to set up.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:50 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I travel solo & use the Anderson Leveler (now 2 of them since I now have an Escape 21). I watch the belly band through the rear view mirrors and usually get the trailer level with one or at most 2 tries.

The BAL leveler does have the advantage that you can level the trailer without moving it (while disconnected from the tow vehicle), but it does take up more storage space, may not fit some 15" tires, & takes a bit longer to set up.
I leave the trailer hooked up until I've leveled side to side with the Bal Leveler. Then I unhook, lower the front until the trailer about 1/2 front low, deploy the stabilizers and raise the front to level. Light the fridge and I'm done.

I don't think the BAL takes any longer to set up than blocks or Anderson. And I can put the trailer where I want to without messing around.
I'm not sure about the 15" tires but who has 15" tires on their single axle trailer?
Old 09-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #15

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I have used wooden 2x6 and 1x6, then plastic, then Bal, now Andersen.

Plastic and wood was ok, but took too long.

I have 15" wheels and load range E tires on my 17' Casita because we go into very primitive areas, would not have smaller wheels. I like plenty of ground clearance.

The Bal will not fit unless the tire is resting on flat pavement, or unless I first put the tire on a small piece of wood so the Bal slides under. Does not work in soft ground, just won't go under the tire. It is heavy, awkward and dirty and tiresome to use.

I now use the Andersen and have only once needed blocks of plastic under the tire because the site was so slanted. It is much easier and faster than the Bal, which now sits at home. We RV usually 2 to 4 months at a time at least once a year. Other times, closer to home, for a week or so.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I leave the trailer hooked up until I've leveled side to side with the Bal Leveler. Then I unhook, lower the front until the trailer about 1/2 front low, deploy the stabilizers and raise the front to level. Light the fridge and I'm done.

I don't think the BAL takes any longer to set up than blocks or Anderson. And I can put the trailer where I want to without messing around.
I'm not sure about the 15" tires but who has 15" tires on their single axle trailer?
I had them on my Escape 17B.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:55 PM   #17

Registry
15" tires and BAL leveler

Quote:
I had them on my Escape 17B.
According to Amazon's web sit the specification are copied below. Should clear up any misconceptions about tire size that can be used.

• "Eliminates the need for moving trailer onto blocks or ramps
  • Fits 13", 14", & most 15" wheels
  • Includes a ratchet wrench that can be used to turn the drive screw, elevating or lowering the tire lifting pads to the level position."
Old 09-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #18

Registry
I don't want to get into an argument as to which is better since each has its advantages. Like Henry, I had problems getting the BAL leveler under my ST 205/75/15 tire when on soft surfaces such as grass or loose gravel. Other than that and storage, I like the fact that you can re level the trailer without needing to re hook to the tow vehicle.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
I don't want to get into an argument as to which is better since each has its advantages. Like Henry, I had problems getting the BAL leveler under my ST 205/75/15 tire when on soft surfaces such as grass or loose gravel. Other than that and storage, I like the fact that you can re level the trailer without needing to re hook to the tow vehicle.
What ever works best for you. Arguing about which is better is not a good thing. What's better for you might not be better for me or the other way around. I think it's good to know the options. When I bought my trailer Anderson levelers were not an option, so I bought the BAL and for me it's been great.

As with many things some people find blocks of wood easiest to carry and use vs some other leveling item(s). That's OK Discussion concerning the pros and cons and misconceptions is valuable as long as it not taken personally. This helps other make a good decision for themselves.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #20

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I run 225/75R15s. Won't fit these tires now, period. Did fit the original 15", bought new from Casita, not sure what size they were.

One thing you could do is run up on an angled 2x6 wood block, then roll unto the Bal. That should work. Then roll out the same way.

I did have some problem with the ratchet that came with the Bal, it does not afford much leverage, so I sometimes used a 18" socket wrench, which made it a lot easier. At home I would just use my 18v drill with the socket. If I remember correctly, the socket was hard to find because it is square.

I see you live in GA. If you ever run through TN on I40, I live just east of Nashville, and 17 miles south on I 840. Send me a private email and I will meet you or you can come over and I will give it to you.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote