Leveling blocks or jacks? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape
Anderson levelers

Sold on Anderson levelers, bought some last year and ran into a few others using them and all were very impressed with how light weight they were and didn't take up a lot lot of storage room.

Somewhat surprised no one else commented on these so far
Grant Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #22

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Allen View Post
Sold on Anderson levelers, bought some last year and ran into a few others using them and all were very impressed with how light weight they were and didn't take up a lot lot of storage room.

Somewhat surprised no one else commented on these so far
I use the Andersons. They work great. It is important to remember to use you chock blocks whatever leveling method you have.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #23

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Kickin it old school...

Go under the back bumper and the nut gets spun down to tighten against bumper. Then raise tongue a touch - stabilized. This picture is before I re-painted. They do work and hard to imagine a mechanical device with less to go wrong with it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Scamp Manual Says

From the owners manual supplied with my Scamp:

"Jacking up the trailer: On the trailer there are two min beams made out of 3 inch by 1 ½ inch tubing, one on each side. Either of these can be used as a point to jack up the trailer. Jack should be placed close to the axle or toward the rear of the trailer, so that the whole weight of the trailer is not on one point. WARNING: The rear bumper jacks are not intended to be used as a jack for changing tires. A scissor jack, hydraulic jack, or a floor jack should be used. A jack is not supplied with the trailer."

There you have it, directly from the manufacturer.

Anything you use to keep the camper from jiggling or tilting on the rear or front of the trailer should not have a lot of weight on it. The tongue jack and tires should bear most of the weight (95 percent or more) at all times, unless the trailer is supported by a jack bearing on the frame as close as practical to the axle.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:56 PM   #25

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't understand why one would only stabilize at the rear. My trailer has four stabilizers, two at front and two at rear. I level side to side and then level front to back, using the jack.
And then I use all four stabilizers because that's what they do - stabilize the trailer.
Our EggCamper came with stabilizers on the rear corners, and since I like a rock-solid camper (especially when stepping in and out of the camper), I added a jack as a stabilizer on each front corner (with PVC pipe cover to keep rain out of the jack's workings). I level side-to-side then front-to-back as Glenn describes, then I drop the front corner jacks with a little tension to stop side-to-side pitching in the front, and we're good to go. Dale
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06940.jpg   DSC06942.jpg  

War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #26

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Talking trailer stability

I use the BAL leveler on the lowest tire when on uneven ground, portable stackable aluminum stablizers under the frame where the tongue is attached, and the trailer's rear stabiizers' wheels chocked when not using the BAL. I also carry stacking leveling pads for use under the stabilizers on uneven/wet ground. I do love my BAL!
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't understand why one would only stabilize at the rear. My trailer has four stabilizers, two at front and two at rear. I level side to side and then level front to back, using the jack.
And then I use all four stabilizers because that's what they do - stabilize the trailer.
17' vs 13' maybe
Old 05-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
I really like the Andersons. But when I use them on concrete or asphalt one usually squirts out at high speed when pulling on or off. And if the ground is too soft they sink in.
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #29

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I use the BAL leveler on the lowest tire when on uneven ground, portable stackable aluminum stablizers under the frame where the tongue is attached, and the trailer's rear stabiizers' wheels chocked when not using the BAL. I also carry stacking leveling pads for use under the stabilizers on uneven/wet ground. I do love my BAL!
So when you use the BAL you don't have to chock the wheels?
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #30

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycarolyn View Post
We bevel both ends of a 2x6 board to drive up on if needed. Also we have a 1x4 piece of treated wood to place under the stabilizers in case we are in sand. Also use a 1x4 under the awning feet. We have a large plastic tub to store dirty (or wet) things in the back of the tow vehicle.
I noticed that a few of the people using wood in this thread are close to the border. From personal experience wood items are coming under scrutiny while crossing the borders - I was told mine were a no no. The plastic ones might be a worthwhile purchase if you travel across borders.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:27 AM   #31

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our wood blocks have never been questioned. The issue is firewood. Of course our blocks are painted to protect them.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #32

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wow...that's a shocker . Never thought about "wood" blocks being an issue. I carry both the plastic AND a couple of small wooden 2x6's. Wonder what these towns do about a Lowe's/Home Depots bringing in their stock from who knows where?? Same difference. If there are small bugs embedded in the wood that do not get cut or planed out, etc? Wonder if they look at Pressure treated the same?

I dunno.... just seems to me paranoia is taking over the world to the point of removing "peace" and "relaxation" from everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I noticed that a few of the people using wood in this thread are close to the border. From personal experience wood items are coming under scrutiny while crossing the borders - I was told mine were a no no. The plastic ones might be a worthwhile purchase if you travel across borders.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #33

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
So when you use the BAL you don't have to chock the wheels?
The BAL serves as a chock for the lower wheel. I do however chock the opposite wheel.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #34

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I use the Leggos. I also put them under the front jack so I dont have to crank so far. If you use a folding 4 legg canopy, half a bag of leggos under the canopy feet on the trailer side will let the canopy clear the Scamp door and you can place the canopy close to the trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:49 PM   #35

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Our wood blocks have never been questioned. The issue is firewood. Of course our blocks are painted to protect them.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app
LOL as with all things it works well until it doesnt!
many members here with attest it only takes that one time they ask!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #36

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Wonder what these towns do about a Lowe's/Home Depots bringing in their stock from who knows where?? Same difference. If there are small bugs embedded in the wood that do not get cut or planed out, etc? Wonder if they look at Pressure treated the same?

I can tell you what they do... if they purchase the wood from across the line the wood is transported across the border with a Phytosanitary certificate accompany it.

So nope its not the same difference as you and I picking up wood locally and taking it across with no certification that is bug free.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #37

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Rob, I always chock the wheel opposite the BAL - may be overkill.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #38

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Wow...that's a shocker . Never thought about "wood" blocks being an issue. ...
I dunno.... just seems to me paranoia is taking over the world to the point of removing "peace" and "relaxation" from everything!
I understand the reason many of these "rules" are there. I also understand that they can change from day to day. We've learnt to check the border websites to make sure the contents of the "sealed" bag of dog food does not contain something that may have been temporarily banned.

I forget which bug it was (Emerald Ash Borer or Asian Longhorned Beetle) that is a major concern on both sides of the border. I heard they traced bug zero to skids carrying products that normally would not be inspected for bugs.

Reasonable caution should not be considered Paranoia. If you are turned back at the border, you can't try to return for 24 hours. If you are a Nexus card holder, you are considered a "trusted traveler" and can bypass the long lineups at the border. One transgression and they can pull your card. Neither is a risk we want to take.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote