Light AND Comfortable Chairs? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I snag up those old aluminum webbed chairs at garage sales any time I see them (Not made anymore.. sigh)

They are comfy and don't weigh much more than an envelope. folds flat.. tossable anywhere.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester/ 2012 Toyota Highlander
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Brian, those look like the style we have and it cuts the circulation off to my legs and feet. I think there is too much pressure on the back of the thighs as it always leaves. Maybe it's b/c I'm short (5 ft) and my toes barely reach the ground.
Our chairs are like these: YouTube - Review Tommy Bahama Reclining Event Chair

Brian

Old 04-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #17

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Brian, I cant tell but it looks like your chairs support your Bum so it doesnt sink lower than your thighs cutting off circulation. Is that correct?

Oh I know Gina! My G'parents always had those light aluminum lawn chairs too. I never see them for sale here in FL though. Wonder why they stopped making them? Maybe somebody here should start. Might be a profitable little business as I've seen postings on the web by folks looking for them too.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #18

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
They still have those web chairs at Target here, or at least, did the last time I looked. They are not as comfy as the sports-type with the side tables, though, and don't last as well, and weigh just as much.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #19

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
My G'parents always had those light aluminum lawn chairs too.
Wonder why they stopped making them?
Ever have a chair collapse beneath you? They're made of Steel now, a little heavier but stronger.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I snag up those old aluminum webbed chairs at garage sales any time I see them (Not made anymore.. sigh)

They are comfy and don't weigh much more than an envelope. folds flat.. tossable anywhere.
Because they're aluminum, when scrapped across asphalt to throw under the trailer at night (to keep the dew off), no RUST. Unlike powdered coated steel. I have the aluminum frames to three chairs under the carport. The webbing is still available online and I've seen it at Wally World.

I can't sit in most slingback chairs for more than about five minutes. First few minutes feel comfy, then it feels like a hot poker jabbed into my spine. Previous back surgery has a tendency to do that! Give me my lightweight, aluminum web chair anyday.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #21

Name: Brian
Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester/ 2012 Toyota Highlander
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Brian, I cant tell but it looks like your chairs support your Bum so it doesnt sink lower than your thighs cutting off circulation. Is that correct?
My wife is 5'-4" tall, and you can see in the pictures her knees are bent, so I think the chairs we have would be okay for someone 5' tall. I found the chairs pretty comfortable, although we did not have much time for sitting! We paid about $35 for them at Costco.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
They still have those web chairs at Target here, or at least, did the last time I looked. They are not as comfy as the sports-type with the side tables, though, and don't last as well, and weigh just as much.
The only ones available here in the Portland area are the vinyl tubed ones, not the webbed kind. Trust me, I've looked at every possible store. And, the tubed type have a much heavier frame. If I could find the aluminum framed, webbed type brand new, I'd buy a half-dozen! I remember distinctly when there were on sale at the end of the season they'd be $10. Then suddenly aluminum shot up in price and they were gone never to be seen again.

Sigh.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #23

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
My wife and I tried out every sling-back chair we could find before buying the most comfortable ones we found (at Sears). We then tried the directors chairs and put our nearly-new sling-backs into retirement. For us anyway, there was no comparison in long-term comfort.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #24

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
My wife and I tried out every sling-back chair we could find before buying the most comfortable ones we found (at Sears). We then tried the directors chairs and put our nearly-new sling-backs into retirement. For us anyway, there was no comparison in long-term comfort.
I'm with Ray. I had the umbrella type until I went to a 3 day agility trial and nearly killed my back. Someone was selling the director's chair type for $79 and while I did not buy one for that much, I went home and looked online and found one for a better price. Later I bought a second one at Ace Hardware. That was five years ago; they are much easier to find now. They are very light, easy to use and carry, and so much better for your back than the sling type. And the one I bought five years ago looks like new.

Tags
light