Light AND Comfortable Chairs? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Light AND Comfortable Chairs?

I'm making my list of things we need for our trailer. I already have most items from our popup but would like to replace our camping chairs. We have the traditional folding fabric style. The ones you have to pry yourself out of b/c your bum sinks so low and cuts off circulation to the legs and feet due to pressure on the back of the thighs.
I was wondering if anybody has found a comfortable yet still lightweight folding camp chair?
Old 04-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I know what you mean about the umbrella style chairs. They're really easy to haul, and light, but extremely uncomfortable after awhile.
We purchased metal directors' style chairs at Aldi's, during a couple of their special purchase sales. They're great: lightweight, slightly padded seat, a flip-up table for drinks. padded armrest, side pockets for pens, sunscreen, bug repellant, etc. Downside: they take up more space to haul, but not as much space as our loungers.
My friend got a similar chair at Kmart. I've seen them (for a much higher price) at the sporting goods stores, and once in awhile at Sam's Club for a good price.
Try them out, though, before purchasing. They all seem to be different seating heights. I have a shorter one for my short legs, my husband's is taller.
We've had two shorter ones for two years, and look like new. The taller ones, purchased last year, are very sturdy also, and expect good wear from them, also.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I agree with Sherry, I have one like this which is very light. It is slightly bulky but not bad compared to the more comfortable recliners (I might pack one of those for a long stay in one place.) The tray is great. It is much more comfortable than the umbrella style and has lasted longer.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I know you said "light", but I'll mention this because I just got one and I'm lovin' it. Google "zero gravity chair". Like this one: Caravan Canopy - Infinity Zero Gravity Chair - Beige - Outdoor Recliners - Camping World
It supports the legs and will recline as little or as much as you want, and locks into place with a lever on each side if you want it to stay in the position you've set. I got mine at Kohl's but they are on Amazon and many other places. Feels like it might weigh about 20 lbs but I would rather give up a little lightweightness for more comfort. Unless the extra weight will put you over some limit, you won't regret one of these.
[edit: mine weighs 18 lbs, compared to my old simpler folding lawn chair at 6 lbs.]
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Something to consider is how the chair legs rest on the ground. Unless you always sit on a paved pad, the legs with long bars on the ground (like the ones shown above), are less prone to sink into the soil than the "peg legs." We bought the directors chairs from Sams and have been very happy with them, although they aren't exceptionally light or compact.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #6

I guess I'll wait to get the actual weight of our trailer to decide how much chair weight we can carry, lol. Those all look nice though! Have to do something for sure, cant take those umbrella chairs any longer.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
I was wondering if anybody has found a comfortable yet still lightweight folding camp chair?
IMHO there is comfortable, OR there is lightweight... but not both.
My fat a** needs a substantial seat, and since I lift weights for a living (really!) I decided to use the most comfortable chairs that I already have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0478.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	34792 Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0526.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	34793
2nd Row Seats out of the minivan
Old 04-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
IMHO there is comfortable, OR there is lightweight... but not both.
My fat a** needs a substantial seat, and since I lift weights for a living (really!) I decided to use the most comfortable chairs that I already have.

Attachment 34792 Attachment 34793
2nd Row Seats out of the minivan
I like your solution!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #9

Those small blocks of wood and rods keep them from tipping back???? They dont look heavy enough to ground the chair base. I've never removed my 2nd row Toyota Seats, will have to see how they work.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #10

Registry
Cool

Quote:
Those small blocks of wood and rods keep them from tipping back?
The lever under the front of the seat which allows it to slide forward or backward in the van (to adjust legroom) are still fully functional on my bases. When I want to recline I can shift the seat forward first which re-centers the base under the reclined seat, preventing them from tipping back. See post #13 in my link.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #11

Ahhhhhhhhhh, that's what that meant, ok. So the center of gravity stays where it should, lol.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:54 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
We have always used our beach chairs. Very lite and low to the ground so you can stretch your legs out.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Here are the ones we found at Costco which are quite light and comfortable, and relatively inexpensive.

Old Timers "relaxing" | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Brian
Old 04-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #14

Brian, those look like the style we have and it cuts the circulation off to my legs and feet. I think there is too much pressure on the back of the thighs as it always leaves. Maybe it's b/c I'm short (5 ft) and my toes barely reach the ground.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #15

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I snag up those old aluminum webbed chairs at garage sales any time I see them (Not made anymore.. sigh)

They are comfy and don't weigh much more than an envelope. folds flat.. tossable anywhere.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Brian, those look like the style we have and it cuts the circulation off to my legs and feet. I think there is too much pressure on the back of the thighs as it always leaves. Maybe it's b/c I'm short (5 ft) and my toes barely reach the ground.
Our chairs are like these:

Brian
Old 04-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #17

Brian, I cant tell but it looks like your chairs support your Bum so it doesnt sink lower than your thighs cutting off circulation. Is that correct?

Oh I know Gina! My G'parents always had those light aluminum lawn chairs too. I never see them for sale here in FL though. Wonder why they stopped making them? Maybe somebody here should start. Might be a profitable little business as I've seen postings on the web by folks looking for them too.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #18

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
They still have those web chairs at Target here, or at least, did the last time I looked. They are not as comfy as the sports-type with the side tables, though, and don't last as well, and weigh just as much.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #19

Registry
Red face

Quote:
My G'parents always had those light aluminum lawn chairs too.
Wonder why they stopped making them?
Ever have a chair collapse beneath you? They're made of Steel now, a little heavier but stronger.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I snag up those old aluminum webbed chairs at garage sales any time I see them (Not made anymore.. sigh)

They are comfy and don't weigh much more than an envelope. folds flat.. tossable anywhere.
Because they're aluminum, when scrapped across asphalt to throw under the trailer at night (to keep the dew off), no RUST. Unlike powdered coated steel. I have the aluminum frames to three chairs under the carport. The webbing is still available online and I've seen it at Wally World.

I can't sit in most slingback chairs for more than about five minutes. First few minutes feel comfy, then it feels like a hot poker jabbed into my spine. Previous back surgery has a tendency to do that! Give me my lightweight, aluminum web chair anyday.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
light