Lightsquared - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,063
Lightsquared

The other day I was poking around looking at wireless internet providers when I ran across a company called Lightsquared. They are a new player setting up a nation wide wireless broadband network. Their idea is to set up the backbone (including satellites) and sell access to anyone who wants to become a provider. Best Buy is one outfit mentioned. It turns out that the frequency bands that they purchased from the government (FCC) are right next to the GPS bands and at the eleventh hour things are going sour. It's an interesting drama happening right now with lots of high profile players and a very good example of the workings of Washington D.C . Raz

In The News - LightSquared
__________________

__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Posts: 543
Registry
Interesting Raz, totally believable of this VERY irresponsible government.

I have noticed there's not a whole lot of politics discussed on this forum. That's probably a good thing. People like me can get wound too tight!
__________________

__________________
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
Interesting Raz, totally believable of this VERY irresponsible government.

I have noticed there's not a whole lot of politics discussed on this forum. That's probably a good thing. People like me can get wound too tight!
And I respectfully suggest you discuss anything political elsewhere. There are plenty of places on the WWW that would welcome your views... no matter what they may be.

We talk molded trailers and camping here.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Posts: 543
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
And I respectfully suggest you discuss anything political elsewhere. There are plenty of places on the WWW that would welcome your views... no matter what they may be.

We talk molded trailers and camping here.
Worry not your little self, Donna. I like this site just the way it is.

Fiberglass trailers are way more stress-free!
__________________
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
And I respectfully suggest you discuss anything political elsewhere. There are plenty of places on the WWW that would welcome your views... no matter what they may be.

We talk molded trailers and camping here.
It was not my intention to start a political discussion but rather to alert members to a possible alternative to the current wireless broadband vendors. We found having Internet access while traveling a big plus but very expensive. This could really drop the price. It's worth following and based on some of the other things posted here in General Chat equally germain. Besides, this one could end up on 60 minutes Raz
__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
The most economical internet I found was Consumer Cellular, and for those members who are AARP also discounted service. I just bought a smart phone, no contracts, 100 minutes talk and 2000 messages internet , $25/month.
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The most economical internet I found was Consumer Cellular, and for those members who are AARP also discounted service. I just bought a smart phone, no contracts, 100 minutes talk and 2000 messages internet , $25/month.

Hi Jim, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, we just want data without the cell phone and I'm sorry to say $30 for 1/2 Gb ain't cheap. The going rate is $10/ Gb. Most folks have high speed internet provided by their phone or cable company with pretty much unlimited data use. We've cbosen to live in rural Vt. so wireless broadband is it for us and data limits are the norm. A lack of infrastructure is a key factor.The perk with having the wireless as our home access is that we take it with us when we travel. Raz
__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
I just saw another one advertised, /Cricket with unlimited for $25
Special Offer | Cricket Wireless
__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
reeves99's Avatar
 
Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Posts: 472
Registry
The whole concept of "air cards" and data gigabytes just confuses the heck out of me. Call me a Luddite (we've seen that word on these forums before) but I just prefer to take my laptop and get wireless wherever I can.
Phil
__________________
It's not the size.....
reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I just saw another one advertised, /Cricket with unlimited for $25
Special Offer | Cricket Wireless
I promise I am not being hard to please..... Cricket does not provide service in my area. Thanks again, Raz
__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
The whole concept of "air cards" and data gigabytes just confuses the heck out of me. Call me a Luddite (we've seen that word on these forums before) but I just prefer to take my laptop and get wireless wherever I can.
Phil
Hi Phil, if you can get beyond the alphabet soup and buzz words it's not that difficult. When you talk on the phone they charge by the minute. The "air card" or mifi uses the cell phone infrastructure to give you internet access. They bill you by the amount of data you transmit and receive rather than the minutes you use... This page might be 100 kilobytes. A detailed picture, 1 megabyte (Mb). A product manual, 10 Mb. A movie, 1 Gigabyte (Gb). It's very nice to have when on the road but quite costly right now. Raz
__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Expensive but worth it.

It's easy to justify when you're on the road 7-11 months a year.

We pay $60 a month for wireless and are fortunate to have a Verizon plan that proides unlimited data. We use about 10 gigabytes a month between us.

Since the plan services us on the road and when we're home I feel it's not too bad. I suspect an equivalent plan if we were stationary for Internet would be about $40.

I consider the $20 difference worth it to maintain communication while traveling.

I do suspect that with time as more high speed wireless networks are installed that the price for 10 gigabytes will go down.
__________________
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
It's easy to justify when you're on the road 7-11 months a year.

We pay $60 a month for wireless and are fortunate to have a Verizon plan that proides unlimited data. We use about 10 gigabytes a month between us.

Since the plan services us on the road and when we're home I feel it's not too bad. I suspect an equivalent plan if we were stationary for Internet would be about $40.

I consider the $20 difference worth it to maintain communication while traveling.

I do suspect that with time as more high speed wireless networks are installed that the price for 10 gigabytes will go down.
Since Verizon unlimited plans have gone the way of the Dodo that same 10 Gb would currently cost me $300. If we choose to reup, it will drop down to $80.

This of course is why Lightsquared is of interest, especially living in a rural area. More competition will force unlimited data. If these folks don't do it someone else will. It's a matter of time and spectrum. That said, Lightsquared has spent years and billions and I doubt it's going to happen. That may stifle things for quite some time. Raz
__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The most economical internet I found was Consumer Cellular, and for those members who are AARP also discounted service. I just bought a smart phone, no contracts, 100 minutes talk and 2000 messages internet , $25/month.
Just curious but why a smart phone if no data plan? A basic phone/plan does talk and messages.....
__________________

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.