Like a kid at Christmas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Like a kid at Christmas

I feel giddy and lightheaded and just like a kid at Christmas. We visited my son and granddaughter in North Carolina this past week and swung by St Matthews on the way home. I had recently been thru some depression about how long things were taking, trying to talk myself into being calm and patient. HAH! I was SO delighted when I found I could pick up my Snoozy on my way back to Florida.
Neither of us have ever been RV camping, so Richard gave us a very comprehensive Intro to RVing 101. I had been checking out youtubes and getting lots of good info with no ability to practice. Ours is sort of a hybrid of the old snoozy and the newer one. The wheels are set out a little further from the body to avoid "rub" and the graywater tank is a little higher to give better clearance. The privacy curtains are no longer included- Richard said they were actually the ugliest things on the face of the earth and everyone usually wanted to redo theirs. Somehow the inclusion of the fantastic fan for the bathroom got overlooked, and the workman who does the installation was out sick. We agreed with Richard to take his check reimbursing us for the cost of the fan, and when we have time and will be in South Carolina, we'll make an appointment and buy one and get it installed then. Seems the fairest way to handle things as we had to be back in Florida by today.
Richard recommended towing with the blinds all rolled up so at pit stops people can look inside, otherwise he said you come back from the rest stop and there's a crowd of people waiting wanting to see it and ask questions. Yes, that happened to us twice at pit stops.
We took a wrong turn heading back to I 26 and got stuck on a narrow road that changed to gravel, and my cautious attempt to back up (turn wheel LEFT to turn camper RIGHT) had me backing up to the only tree near the road. Fortunately, nothing got crunched.
We spent the night at the Kingsland GA KOA. We have usually stopped there and used their camping cabins in the past, but those mattresses are now getting too firm for me. I had told the person who took my reservation that we were totally new at RV camping, and they'de told the night security to make sure we got set up properly. He plugged us into shore power, showed us the potable water and bath house, and wished us well. Then we went to open the Snoozy door....and couldn't.
Now I'm thinking it's just a really stiff latch, but last night at almost midnight and exhausted, we thought it had to be the locks. We tried every which way and I finally asked DH to please crawl into the storage portal and open the door from inside. He had to laugh, remembering his younger days as a plumber crawling under houses with the rats, snakes and spiders he HATED it!...he still retains the talent, and we got inside.
I had very carefully laid out EVERYTHING we would possibly need and somehow...only the bedding got packed. We resigned ourselves to eating breakfast and-dinner out. It didn't take us too long to get the bed made up and enjoy the 40*F ish night as we aired the fiberglass odors out. Shut up the windows at midnight and the cube heater kept us very comfie. The KOA gives a complementary waffle or pancake breakfast so after that we headed for home. Our kitties were so glad to see us. The pet sitter had gotten sick and apparently the fill-ins hadn't been as careful as the regular sitter. I feel good knowing that there is space for the cats and they'll be able to accompany us from now on.
Tomorrow will be showing off to the neighbors and maybe arranging for long term storage. I still have this goofy grin going. Life is good.

--
I'm the best there is,but I'm not available.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Congratulations!!!!!!!! It sounds like you're off to a great start and the fun is only beginning.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Like a kid at Christmas

Congratulations, Mitzi! It's been a long time coming.

A checklist might help with the packing…

That's the first I've heard of a campground offering a complimentary breakfast. Stayed at KOA's a good deal with my family back in the 70's, but since I started camping again with my own family, we've opted for public campgrounds. Guess things have changed!

You could take it to an empty parking lot to practice backing before you tuck it into storage. You'll soon be backing like a pro!

Happy travels and may the goofy grin never depart!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #4
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #5

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Mitzi,

Congratulations! I enjoy your enthusiasm. I have seen the outside of a Lil Snoozy, but not the inside.

Keep us posted on your camping adventures!

Take care,

Dean
Old 12-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Storage in Florida ??? Bring it down to the COE campground Ortona South for a few days the last two weeks of this month while we are there.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Congratulations on picking up your Lil Snoozy. Did you figure out what the problem was with the door lock?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #8
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Wow! Congratulations! I don't blame you for being excited. This all sounds great - that lock/latch problem is probably already solved, I'm betting. So cool!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Storage in Florida ??? Bring it down to the COE campground Ortona South for a few days the last two weeks of this month while we are there.
Will do- that's not tooo far from Lake Placid!
Old 12-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Congratulations on picking up your Lil Snoozy. Did you figure out what the problem was with the door lock?
Dave & Paula
It appears two weak wrists and grasps- DH has been able to open it but I have to wait for him to do the open and shut a few times before I can open it. It does loosen as it is used.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #11

Florida
My friend asked me to arrange a camping trip to Avon Park Air base, where we used to pause on the 3 day MLK Boy Scout Backpack up the Florida Trail that used to run up the west bank of the Kissimmee River before it was de-channelized. NB crew would camp overnight the first night, and the S Bound crew would be there for lunch on the second day. First time we did this (1996?) the temperature dropped to 17*F overnight.

Every year we'd run into people who had come to FL to train for their AT hikes and were unhappy because they hadn't packed properly and weren't prepared for cold. And FL is a DaMP cold- really bites your bones.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
And FL is a DaMP cold- really bites your bones.
The REAL damp bone biting cold is on the coast of Maine. We've experienced that many times. 60 degrees right now in Alva Florida and we see people wearing winter coats ????
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #13

Florida
I'm not one of them!
Old 12-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can feel your joy! I purchased my Scamp mid-December 2002. My Christmas present to myself that kept providing joy for years! I wish you well
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #15

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I can feel your joy! I purchased my Scamp mid-December 2002. My Christmas present to myself that kept providing joy for years! I wish you well

Did you have to tow it through snow and ice? I can't even imagine towing a brand new Scamp through snow and ice. That would be too nerve racking.

Happy Camping!
Marky
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #16

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyVasquez View Post
Did you have to tow it through snow and ice? I can't even imagine towing a brand new Scamp through snow and ice. That would be too nerve racking. Marky
I did it when I picked up my Scamp in Backus in February 2014. No problems. I learned to drive a car in Moscow, Russia where winter and snow season is from October till April