Lil Snoozy has closed shop - Page 15 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-28-2019, 01:26 PM   #197

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
This may be a long and beat-up thread, but reading a post like yours still shivers me to think a person can lay down and sleep at night KNOWING they're in "trouble" and will STILL take orders AND people's hard-earned money; most of them being like my wife and myself, were really looking forward to their new trailer and adventures. $10K is not small change to most of us. I dont blame you from running from there as fast as you could! I didnt put down NEAR that much on my Scamp in 2010. I would also have nightmares pop up of Lil Snoozy if/when I purchase another trailer and they ask for this much deposit!

I hope ALL depositers can one day post on here that they've received their refund!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMH View Post
I drove from Charleston to Charlotte in early February and stopped by the Lil Snoozy factory ... if you can call it that ... in St. Matthews. It appeared to be a shoestring operation. Thinking about buying a fiberglass camper and had never seen a Lil Snoozy, so was looking forward to the visit. I was met by a secretary who had her dog and child with her. She was rude and preoccupied. I thought maybe her child was sick and she was having a bad day. She took me to the back where there were 2 campers. One looked almost finished and an employee was working on the other. I asked if the cabinets could be painted instead of stained and she said they no longer did that as it was too much trouble. She seemed hesitant to answer any other questions and intent on cutting the visit short. There were a couple of cars there. One fellow walked through and spoke. Possibly, the owner. I left thinking ... good that I stopped by, cause now I know I definitely don’t want that camper.

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #198
MMH

Name: MMH
Trailer: Currently shopping
North Carolina
I hate that you all, apparently, have lost large sums of money, Darral T. This happened to me and quite a few others with deposits made to a building contractor in Charlotte. We all quickly realized there was no way to recoup our losses. A hard lesson.

MMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:28 AM   #199

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMH View Post
I drove from Charleston to Charlotte in early February and stopped by the Lil Snoozy factory ... if you can call it that ... in St. Matthews. It appeared to be a shoestring operation. Thinking about buying a fiberglass camper and had never seen a Lil Snoozy, so was looking forward to the visit. I was met by a secretary who had her dog and child with her. She was rude and preoccupied. I thought maybe her child was sick and she was having a bad day. She took me to the back where there were 2 campers. One looked almost finished and an employee was working on the other. I asked if the cabinets could be painted instead of stained and she said they no longer did that as it was too much trouble. She seemed hesitant to answer any other questions and intent on cutting the visit short. There were a couple of cars there. One fellow walked through and spoke. Possibly, the owner. I left thinking ... good that I stopped by, cause now I know I definitely don’t want that camper.
Just like you, I wonder why people buy from little hole in the wall manufactures, have to pay big deposits, and then wonder what went wrong when something happens. I think what you did was the smartest thing anyone could do, put your eyeballs on what is going on and decide from what you see and hear. I've only visited two fiberglass trailer manufactures, Casita and Oliver and both I left with a positive experience.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:30 AM   #200

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Just like you, I wonder why people buy from little hole in the wall manufactures, have to pay big deposits, and then wonder what went wrong when something happens. I think what you did was the smartest thing anyone could do, put your eyeballs on what is going on and decide from what you see and hear. I've only visited two fiberglass trailer manufactures, Casita and Oliver and both I left with a positive experience.

trainman
I think most of the buyers just loved the design and accepted the rest of the nonsense that went with it. There was some sense of security in that LilSnoozy had been in business for several years, and had a long backlog of orders. So it gave the appearance of a thriving business.

Many big and impressive RV manufacturers have gone out of business over the years, although I don't recall one that required nosebleed deposits. So the people that lost on those failures tended to be shareholders, debt holders, employees, and suppliers. OK, customers lost some too as warrantees went out the window (on the rig, but not the components). I've lost quite a bit on a couple of my "genius" stock picks...... Had I visited all of their locations, I would have been impressed. Had I snuck into the backroom, I would have run away.

Hindsight is always 20/20.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:52 AM   #201

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
If you remember Oliver did stop production some ten plus years ago as trailer sales plummeted and then resumed production when the economy recovered. They did not stop warranting there trailers and did not refuse service work on then during that time period, thus there bath enclosure business keep then going as well as Oliver's other products that they make. They were lucky, or smart would be the correct word for having a backup industry to keep the doors open, where many would no be so lucky. The RV business of today is probably the best it's been for a long time, I'm sure in the future it will have it's ups and downs just like in the past and yes, only the strong will survive.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #202

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
... They were lucky, or smart would be the correct word for having a backup industry to keep the doors open, where many would no be so lucky. ...trainman
Reminded me of a random fact that the Coors family of Golden, Colorado, survived prohibition of the 1920's and early 30's by manufacturing ceramic electrical insulators until prohibition was lifted. I recall that it was quite a profitable diversion for them at the time, but not as profitable as beer.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #203

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Reminded me of a random fact that the Coors family of Golden, Colorado, survived prohibition of the 1920's and early 30's by manufacturing ceramic electrical insulators until prohibition was lifted. I recall that it was quite a profitable diversion for them at the time, but not as profitable as beer.

They should have stuck to insulators. <_<
Old 06-01-2019, 11:05 PM   #204

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Beer making depends on agricultural crops (barley, hops), and the Coors family, along with the Monfort family of Greeley (cattle finishing/beef processing), were long-time, big-time supporters of agricultural youth programs (FFA, 4-H) in Colorado back when both companies were still family owned. So it was a show of loyalty back in the day for ranchers and farmers to drink Coors. That, and, well.... as a current U.S. Supreme Court Justice said recently, "I like beer!"
Old 06-02-2019, 06:02 AM   #205

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Mr Baglo , for once you and I agree !
Too bad it had to be over a poor imitation of a beer
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #206

Name: Al
Trailer: 19D Front bath Scamp
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Mr Baglo , for once you and I agree !
Too bad it had to be over a poor imitation of a beer
I'm in agreement as well. I'd never heard of the Coors brand before arriving at Ft Huachuca, AZ in mid 69. I'd also never seen an aluminum can, so my first night at the NCO club there was memorable - beer that tasted like water in a can I could crush between my thumb and index finger.
Al and Cindy K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #207

Alabama
Say what you will, but back in the day, when an 18-year-old could legally buy 3.2% Coors beer for $1.68 a six pack (yes in cans), it tasted pretty good after a hot day working in the hay field. Coors dominated the Colorado "barscape" until Olympia beer got a foothold in the 1970's. Now there is even a Budweiser brewery just outside of Fort Collins....

Tags
lil snoozy