Lil Snoozy or Scamp13 Deluxe? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #21

Name: Nicholas
Trailer: LiL Snoozy
South Carolina
Bill,
We have a customer who sold a 2010 13 Scamp, and picked his Lil Snoozy up a few weeks ago. This gentleman lives in PA when he is not traveling, I am sure he would not mind you taking a look at his. PM me for his contact information.
As for the comparison. Like everyone else has stated before me, the 13 Scamp is MUCH smaller than the Snoozy. A better comparison is to the 16 Scamp. We still have quite a bit more elbow than the 16.
Also I think it is more official coming from the manufacture: We can accommodate the vast majority of custom features (within reason) Someone said earlier that they would not want the name all over the side. If that is a problem, those decals can be deleted. Also with respect to gas, if you absolutely must have a gas appliance, we can leave out the electric version for an easy retrofit and reduce the cost. For example: if you want a gas water heater, we can easily leave out out water heater. I will have all of the hoses stubbed out and run the 12v wires for an igniter. Then it is up to you to install the appliance.

As always, I am hear if anyone has questions, not just about the Lil Snoozy but anything

Thanks
Nicholas Smoak
Lil Snoozy Campers
LiL Snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
It really is unfair to both sides to compare the Scamp 13 to the Li'l Snoozy. While some prospective buyers of a Scamp 16 , an Escape, Casita 16 or even a Parkliner, would very much like a Li'L Snoozy...
A buyer who is a good fit for a Scamp 13 would not be a good fit for a Li'l Snoozy or it's direct competition.
The Scamp 13 does, as mentioned above, have the advantage of offering ample amenities in a smaller package. It can be pulled comfortably with a smaller tow vehicle, resulting in a considerable fuel savings. You can use just about any "drivethrough" with impunity or parallel park on a public street. Knowing you can get down the wrong country road and be able to turn around encourages a sense of adventure, they even allowed us on the Green River Ferry!(making an exception to the rules). A standard sized pickup and a Li'L Snoozy combo can easily be 10 feet longer and 1-1/2 feet wider than a 13 Scamp and a compact SUV.
All of these differences are advantages for the Scamp 13, but only if you are comfortable with less space and only a fullsized bed instead of a Queen.
All of the trailers mentioned, including the Li'l Snoozy, are wonderful, and have big advantages over their larger or stickbuilt counterparts.
There are several graduations in size, The Li'L Snoozy is too big for my needs, A 19 Escape owner might think it is too small, but it is just the right size for just the right buyer.
To paraphrase RuthG....
What a great problem to have, having to choose among so many great trailers.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #23

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Snoozy View Post
Bill,
We have a customer who sold a 2010 13 Scamp, and picked his Lil Snoozy up a few weeks ago. This gentleman lives in PA when he is not traveling, I am sure he would not mind you taking a look at his. PM me for his contact information.
As for the comparison. Like everyone else has stated before me, the 13 Scamp is MUCH smaller than the Snoozy. A better comparison is to the 16 Scamp. We still have quite a bit more elbow than the 16.
Also I think it is more official coming from the manufacture: We can accommodate the vast majority of custom features (within reason) Someone said earlier that they would not want the name all over the side. If that is a problem, those decals can be deleted. Also with respect to gas, if you absolutely must have a gas appliance, we can leave out the electric version for an easy retrofit and reduce the cost. For example: if you want a gas water heater, we can easily leave out out water heater. I will have all of the hoses stubbed out and run the 12v wires for an igniter. Then it is up to you to install the appliance.

As always, I am hear if anyone has questions, not just about the Lil Snoozy but anything

Thanks
Nicholas Smoak
Lil Snoozy Campers
Thanks Nicholas for your reply. I talked with your Dad and will take your advice on the electric range top deletion and retrofit a propane stove if I should decide on the Lil Snoozy. I will know for certain after visiting your facility in December which trailer I want. I am leaning more and more to your product. Especially after reading Ruth G.'s response. The standup closet is an issue to me as well as it is to Ruth. In my e-mail with Alan I discussed the possibility of a stand-up closet located by shortening the entertainment counter by the bed and putting a small closet in that location. We will be discussing this in more detail when I get to SC. As far as the comparison between the Scamp 13 and Lil Snoozy, I was comparing weight only. Many people seem to get hung up on the fact that the Scamp is smaller (a given) and that I cannot compare weights fairly. I wasn't attempting to be fair. My point was I want to know what the real world weight of each will be equipped as I want. I stated I am interested in the DRY WEIGHT of both so I can compare how much more weight I will be taking on when going for a larger trailer. We all load our trailers differently so the only way I can make an informed decision is by knowing dry weight. I have found the Scamps to be considerably heavier than information I get from the manufacturer. If the Snoozy turns out to be considerably heavier than the advertised weight on your web site it could be a problem.
While I have you here, I have one more question. What is the width of the entertainment counter?
Thanks again
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #24

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth G View Post
Hi Bill,

What a great problem to have, having to choose between two great trailers.

I've had several scamps and now own a lil snoozy. There are pluses and minuses to all trailers. I'm very happy with my lil snoozy. It's extremely comfy inside. I like having a queen size bed that is a bed all the time. I didn't like having a bed that is also a dinette. I don't have a place in my snoozy for a closet. I have two large hooks hanging on the outside of the bathroom where I hang things. I think the table is plenty big, I don't feel crowded on the table at all.

The storage on the lil snoozy is easier than the scamps. The scamp storage is odd sizes and odd places.

I miss the propane from the scamp. I'm using an electric cube heater in the lil snoozy. But then again, I also have a generator on the snoozy, which I never had for the scamp. I also have a small portable propane heater, not as good as a built in heater. You could ask Alan about a built in propane heater.

The air conditioner is better on the scamp. But, if the air conditioner on the snoozy breaks, it's much cheaper and easier to fix. When we went camping in 100 degree heat and 100% humidity the air conditioner worked, but not as cold as the scamp would have been. Good enough, though.

I have no idea what the weight is, not sure where to weigh it.

There is more upkeep and things to do on the scamp than the snoozy. I had problems with things rusting on the scamp, the outside metal is not galvanized. The chains were rusting, door hardware was rusting. The front door leaked on the scamp. The scamp people keep putting rivets thru the trailer to hang curtains. The buttons for the rivets break and rot and need to be replaced. I still don't understand why they drill thru the fiberglass for curtain rods.

I have two extra windows on the snoozy. One across from the couch, and one on either side of the bed. The light and brightness of the snoozy is terrific.

The lil snoozy people realize that things break down the road. they've made it cheap and convenient if the air conditioner or refrigerator breaks, to pull it out, and replace it with a model from Lowes. If a tire blows, much easier to get to on a snoozy than a scamp. The hitch is easier on the snoozy, easier to put on the tow vehicle, easier set up.

You're welcome to come to virginia and visit, and see the lil snoozy. feel free to email me or ask any other questions. And it certainly helps to see both of the trailers and compare yourself.

Good luck,
Ruth
Thanks Ruth. Good information. The closet and propane stove are issues for me as well. I will be retrofitting my own stove and am working out the closet issue.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Bill,

I thought the closet would be an issue, but i've decided that I don't need the closet at all. I don't miss it. If you put a closet where the entertainment unit is, it would work. But, I put an extra window there, and just love having that extra window. The light is great.

I am a pack rat and always overpack for any trip. I've been happy with the storage. There are two big cabinets under the entertainment window, and I jam them full of clothes. There is a huge space under the bed for storage, and I can access it from inside the trailer or from a door on the outside.

I don't need a built in propane stove. I have a portable propane stove that I like. I cook outside in nice weather and on the counter in bad weather. Thats a difference I forgot to mention. There are great counters on the lil snoozy. There were no counters on the scamp. I had to use the dinette to prepare food inside.

I miss the built in propane heater. It's easier than the portable propane heater.

Stop in Virginia on your way to s Carolina. You can see what the extra windows add.

Ruth
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #26

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth G View Post
Bill,

I thought the closet would be an issue, but i've decided that I don't need the closet at all. I don't miss it. If you put a closet where the entertainment unit is, it would work. But, I put an extra window there, and just love having that extra window. The light is great.

I am a pack rat and always overpack for any trip. I've been happy with the storage. There are two big cabinets under the entertainment window, and I jam them full of clothes. There is a huge space under the bed for storage, and I can access it from inside the trailer or from a door on the outside.

I don't need a built in propane stove. I have a portable propane stove that I like. I cook outside in nice weather and on the counter in bad weather. Thats a difference I forgot to mention. There are great counters on the lil snoozy. There were no counters on the scamp. I had to use the dinette to prepare food inside.

I miss the built in propane heater. It's easier than the portable propane heater.

Stop in Virginia on your way to s Carolina. You can see what the extra windows add.

Ruth
Thank you for the invitation. I had already decided on the extra windows. Is there room for the window and a small closet? I'm only talking 22" max of counter space. I can even get buy with 18", but I would have to hang cloths from front to back rather than side to side.