Lil Snoozy Purchase - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thumbs up Lil Snoozy Purchase

Well folks, I finally did it. I wrote a check and ordered a new Lil Snoozy. I want to thank all of you that contributed to my questions and helped me decide on which Egg was best for me. While all trailers have their positive points and faults (this is subjective to each individual) I feel confident that I got just what I was looking for. I want you all to know that I have been researching Eggs for 3 or 4 years and just discovered this site a few months back. Your willingness to answer questions has allowed me to gather in a few short months as much information as I had attained in 4 years.
My experience up to this point has convinced me that the people at Lil Snoozy, Alan and Nicholas, have the desire to build an excellent quality trailer and truly do take the time to provide every reasonable effort to satisfy their customers.
I would want to encourage anyone considering a new trailer to not ignore the Lil Snoozy. I feel confident that you will be impressed as I am and not sorry you took the time to investigate this up and coming builder. While I find the established manufacturers quite reputable and builders of quality trailers, I am now convinced with prejudice that Lil Snoozy has taken fiberglass trailers to a new level.
As my experience with Lil Snoozy progresses I will keep this thread updated for anyone with interest.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Now comes the hard part: waiting!

Be sure to post some pics of your first camping trip, when the time comes!

Congratulations on your decision!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Congratulations Bill... what a terrific gift to yourself for the New Year!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
How exciting, any idea how long it will before you have it?
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Please tell up what options you ordered, sometimes if you want to modify something, it helps to tell the manufacturer your wants so that he can make any changes he can to accommodate your ideas. An extra light there, an extra outlet here, I know I always need at least 2x12v outlets in any rv I've owned. If you plan on converting to led's maybe you can purchase before hand and tell Lil Snoozy not to install the regular bulbs and send them the news ones, or they may offer the upgrade. It's going o be fun planning your new little home. enjoy.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
BiP:
Glad we could help. Hope you have a good experience with your portable home and as much fun with it as we are having with ours.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #7

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
Hi Bill, we have visited with Alan and Nicholas also. We really like the lil snoozy too. We are hoping to order one in the spring, if all goes well. I really look forward to hearing more about your lil snoozy. Please keep us informed.
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ditto Harley's 12 volt outlets. We have two inside and one outside, useful for running our 12 volt compressor among other things. We use one inside continuouslly for our Internet booster and typically have a rechargeable flash light plugged into another.

The other thing that's easier to add during construction phase is more AC outlets - we have 10 with one of those outside.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Glad to hear of another Snoozy order. We were disappointed circumstances arose that required us to cancel our order and enjoy hearing of others purchase/adventures. We too were impressed with Nicholas and Alan and wish them the best in the New Year. Congratulations and be sure to post lots of pix!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Tell us what you like best about their design and execution, Bill. What are some of the factors that take it to a new level in your view? Shell strength? Interior finish? Other things? Please do a 'compare and contrast' for us.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Please tell up what options you ordered, sometimes if you want to modify something, it helps to tell the manufacturer your wants so that he can make any changes he can to accommodate your ideas. An extra light there, an extra outlet here, I know I always need at least 2x12v outlets in any rv I've owned. If you plan on converting to led's maybe you can purchase before hand and tell Lil Snoozy not to install the regular bulbs and send them the news ones, or they may offer the upgrade. It's going o be fun planning your new little home. enjoy.

Lil Snoozy comes Standard with 4 GFI 120V receptacles and 3 reg 120 V receptacles. LED lights are standard. See Lil Snoozy web site for standard options.

I ordered additional cabinet as some of our camping trips may be for as long as 4.5 months. We ordered rear awning, spare tire, 2 additional windows. We did electric range top delete so I may add my own propane stove & tank.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
What about heat options?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Tell us what you like best about their design and execution, Bill. What are some of the factors that take it to a new level in your view? Shell strength? Interior finish? Other things? Please do a 'compare and contrast' for us.
Shell strength and interior finish are definite pluses. Other factors I consider pluses are no plugs through fiberglass to lead to future leaks. Galvinized and/or Stainless fittings, frame, & fixtures to eliminate rust, disc brakes, and a solid screen door. Other positive factors include items such as air conditioner, refrigerator, etc. standard items easily accessible from almost any appliance store which can be easily and cheaply replaced.

I love the open design that is not claustrophobic with a full time bed and a regular queen size mattress. I also like the front of the trailer design that eliminates much wind buffeting when towing.

The only negatives from my viewpoint are they are prohibited by their insurance carrier to provide propane appliances. They will, however, construct in such a manner to allow you to easily do your own retrofit when you get it home. I would also prefer electric brakes rather than surge brakes. They do, however, have what is probably as good as you can get surge system with discs rather than drums and an electric lockout when your vehicle is in reverse to allow back-up without unwanted braking.

As I said in my thread, "I think they have taken fiberglass trailer construction to a new level", and as this point I could hardly be more pleased.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Thanks! That's good to know. Waiting is the hard part now. Did they say when it should be ready for pickup?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bill,

Thanks for your considered comments. I am always interested in the whys.

Propane question. I guess I don't understand the insurance/propane issue. I once looked up propane deaths and they are extremely rare.

I do see the advantage of mainstream appliance, particularly when they are equivalents like the AC unit. We use a $100 ac unit and is more than adequate.

For information purposes:
Why is the shell of the Snoozy stronger than other brands?

I agree about the caps, the rigs would look better without them though I've yet to see one leak on our 21 year old Scamp.

All in all choosing a fiberglass trailer is a good choice, people are continually impressed that ours is 21 years old. Equally I was impressed by all the Bolers we saw in Canada that were 30-40 years old.

Thank you for the information,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Since your trailer is all electric,will you buy a generator?
Harbor freight has one which has the advantage of being easily and cheaply replaced. Many people prefer the Honda though, at four times the price, claiming you get what you pay for.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Bill,

For information purposes:
Why is the shell of the Snoozy stronger than other brands?

I think the Snoozy shell is a laminate really of fiberglass sandwiching a foam core.
That would have to make it stronger and better insulated than any other Egg I know of?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #18

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Since your trailer is all electric,will you buy a generator?
Harbor freight has one which has the advantage of being easily and cheaply replaced. Many people prefer the Honda though, at four times the price, claiming you get what you pay for.
Floyd

I will never buy anything again at Harbor Freight no matter how simple and mundane.

I had a Shovel Head break from there,not the handle but the scoop!
Trust me it was not due to the level of exertion in its use either.

I love my Honda Generator and I think I told you when I got mine a group of us got a deal on 19 of them in one shot off of a Microsoft Touring display where none of them had been used much but none were new either.

Every one of them starts on the first or second pull even 5 years after getting them and most of us use them for Ham radio activity a lot.

Just not worth it to me to buy cheap for something of such potential importance some day.

But thats just me?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #19

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What about heat options?
Cube heater

This works fine for me. I don't do extreme cold camping.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #20

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Bill,

Propane question. I guess I don't understand the insurance/propane issue. I once looked up propane deaths and they are extremely rare.

My guess as to why they are discouraged from installing propane is the same as my reason for no longer working on propane A 100% INCREASE IN LIABILITY INSURANCE RATES!!!!!!!!! Without ever having a claim, working on propane equipment doubles my liability rates. At lowes check gas water heater prices. A propane water heater costs more becaues of liability issues, not because the parts cost more etc. etc. etc.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote