"LiL Snoozy" update - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
1100 watts is a very substantial solar panel. My 80 watt panel is about 7 square feet.

Scaling up from my panel to 1100 watts means the panels about 100 square feet or 7 feet wide and 14 feet long, that's a pretty substantial solar panel.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Wish I read this about the solar panel before we watched "This Old House". We think they had a panel on the show that produced one kw. It was not huge.

They said it used to cost $1000 but now is down to around $500.

Nancy (who someday hopes to see a Lil Snoozy)

Old 02-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
You can get a rough idea of the cost of RV based solar systems at AM Solar. I don't know anywhere that you can get 1K worth of panels for $500.00 & with current technology they would take more area than the roof of a typical fiberglass trailer.

Right now you are pushing it to find panels around $1.50 per watt & most are $2.00 or more. That does not include mounting, cables, controller, inverters, etc.

A typical complete home 1100 watt solar system runs around $6000.00. (Example from Blue Pacific Solar). The 6 panels used for this system are 185 watts each & each measure 62.2" x 31.81" x1.77".
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
In case anyone is interested in the "This Old House" install you can go to this link

Http://americanchoicesolar.com/PDFs/AC_250.pdf

At the bottom of that spec sheet they have a note:

ACS:Irradiance 1000W/m2, Module temperature 25degree C, AM=1.5

I guess I totally misunderstand all of this.

If I built trailers I would want to keep things simple and let people add what they want after purchase. This old dog doesn't learn new tricks.

Oh, and if by some chance this is some wonder panel I would not be able to lift it.

Nancy
Old 02-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #19

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Updates for Lil Snoozy

I heard about most of the updates you were planning when I visited your facility in December and ordered my trailer. I think all are a great idea including the additional driving lights in the rear and the larger cabinets.
One update you told me about but forgot to mention in your post is the increased size of the exterior access door to the under bed storage.
I found your under bed storage area unique in all the different fiberglass trailers I carefully considered before settling on the Lil Snoozy. I think your web site undersells this feature which my wife and I found to be very attractive. No other trailers we considered had a place to carry large items such as lawn chairs, screen tents, cooler, etc. without hauling them in your living space or hanging them somewhere on the outside of the trailer. A larger access door allows a person to get those bigger items into the very generous storage area your design provides.

I felt I had to add this for the readers here as you did not and since I find it a big plus in your design that I think they would like to know about.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #20

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
1100 watts is a very substantial solar panel. My 80 watt panel is about 7 square feet.

Scaling up from my panel to 1100 watts means the panels about 100 square feet or 7 feet wide and 14 feet long, that's a pretty substantial solar panel.
I think that Old Man Snoozy is out of his element and will have to backtrack on this. It is perfectly understandable, as 1100 watts sounds like nothing in the plug in world.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Alan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
First : Like i stated earlier I don't know anything a about solar power. Thats why we hired a professional company to design it for us. If they quoted us wrong I will be the first to tell it. All I do know is thats what they told us and it ran the ac and the refrig for about 30 minutes while they were demoing it to us. I have to go by what they are telling us but really appreciated you guys input now to verify what they are saying before I will offer it as an option. Based on what your saying is that it is impossible for this to be true?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #22

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Snoozy View Post
First : Like i stated earlier I don't know anything a about solar power. Thats why we hired a professional company to design it for us. If they quoted us wrong I will be the first to tell it. All I do know is thats what they told us and it ran the ac and the refrig for about 30 minutes while they were demoing it to us. I have to go by what they are telling us but really appreciated you guys input now to verify what they are saying before I will offer it as an option. Based on what your saying is that it is impossible for this to be true?
I believe the total system provided 1100 watts, but most of that came from the battery. Take a quick look on Amazon or eBay and compare the physical dimensions of the solar panels to the output in watts. You will find that you can't fit 1100 watts of solar panel onto the roof of a travel trailer.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #23
Commercial Member

South Carolina
Thanks Thomas, I will do that. Also I am going over to the office in a little bit and try to scan the paper work they gave me and post it for you guys who know solar to give me some help. Because I surely don't want to sell anything that is over stated or incorrect. Thanks Again
Old 02-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #24
Commercial Member

South Carolina
Ok Here we go. I will try and post the paperwork in a minute. But I went to the office and got the info and called this guy at home on a Sunday! It is an 1100 watt system he proclaims but Thomas is right it has 1100 watts storage using some kind of super deep cycle sealed battery. So he mislead me some what. The panel is a 135 watt panel and the box includes the charger, inverter, fuses and ass. wiring. Sorry for causing an uproar but I was saying what I was told. I will be a lot more careful in the future on things I am unfamilar with. Correct me if I am wrong but the way he explained it to me, you have 1100 watts in storage and the solar panel will recharge at a rate of 135 watts per hour. So it's up and down depending on how much you use and how much sunlight you can get? Thanks to all you guys in put and getting me on the right track. He said he welcomes any emails on solar questions. Richardk@cleanfieldenergy.com
Old 02-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #25

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Alan, as a practical matter, this is really just a conventional solar system. You really can't be running a refrigerator or an air conditioner off from it, though it would be great for an LCD television, lights, water pump, vent fan, etc. There may be some magic in the battery if it allows a greater percentage of total capacity to be used without damage. If it is just a lead acid deep cycle battery, then it is nothing special.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Ok, that explains a lot. Someone else might correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the battery sounds fairly typical in storage capacity and probably would only run the AC and fridge together (the AC is the real hog) for about an hour before being depleted. That said, the sizes are non really atypical. If you can keep the wires from the panel to the controller and from the controller to the battery as heavy gauge and short length as possible, and if it's either a 3 stage or a MPPT controller, this setup would probably power an efficient fridge and lights all the time (assuming decent sunshine), and the generator can take care of longer use of AC and microwave.

[edit]: Thomas, I was typing while you were posting.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
No other trailers we considered had a place to carry large items such as lawn chairs, screen tents, cooler, etc. without hauling them in your living space or hanging them somewhere on the outside of the trailer. .
Bill I guess you didnt look at an Escape?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #28

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
By the way, the extra storage you've come up with above counter level is really good news. I didn't mean to overlook that, Alan.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote