Lil Snoozy vs Scamp discussion (split from Classifieds) - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #41

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The bed will be up front where the sloping roof is. Kinda like how a truck camper is I would imagine.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #42

Name: mr. smyth
Trailer: burro
Florida
Question lil snoozy

looks like a heavy boat trailerwith no balanceso tongue weight will be very heavy???
smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #43

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think it's funny everyone has an opinion based on ONE photo
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #44

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Based on one photo, I must admit that I have a new opinion: a prototype really does appear to exist. I had my doubts.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:33 AM   #45

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
I agree 100% with Donna.

"I think it's funny everyone has an opinion based on ONE photo"

And yeah, that is what I'm doing. Some of this opinion is based on what the man said in the letter.

Take a picture of most any camper at the same angle and it will appear that the wheels are sitting way to far to the rear. I would fully expect the tongue weight to be the correct percentage to total trailer weight.

With most campers, including our "Eggs", the wheel wells are about as high as the seat platforms and take up a lot of storage space.
Looking at the photograph, imagine the seat height at about the same height as the top of the fenders to get a prospective of just how high the ceiling is above the seats.

From what the man wrote he was striving for good aerodynamics. The front being shaped as it is should direct air both upward over the top, and downward under the trailer. I don't see how the upward turn under the front is really much wasted space, as it is under the bed where he said the gray and fresh water tanks are located.

A couple of things come to mind regarding this set up.
1. The tanks are inside which will likely also mean the water lines are all inside. If this is true, there is less likelyhood of frozen pipes or tanks if that unexpected cold snap hits and the trailer is not winterized. Just turn on the heat inside and open the cabinet doors.

2. Anything hanging under a trailer is prone to damage over rough or uneven ground, as well as causing extra wind drag. With everything possible "Inside", some or most of this is eleminated. The smoother the bottom, the better.

3. The AC will be in the rear wall, not perched on top which adds height wind drag and potential leaks.

The look is definitely different. But with the right grafics and windows, it can have a lot of eye appeal.

Time will tell.
Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #46

Name: Ken
Trailer: Plans for a Lil Snoozy
Virginia
I checked it out

My wife and I stopped by their factory and checked it out. Their experience with boat building was very evident in a positive way.

I was amazed at the simple functionality. No way for it to leak or rot, for starters. Inside space was not taken up by the wheel wells. It sits on a commercial galvanized boat trailer with disk brakes. It is all electric, easily powered by the little Honda generator with electric appliances that are easily replaced and inexpensive. I was smiling at all the thoughtful things they have incorporated into the design. The bathroom door appears to be on drawer slides. Simple, functional, smart - it won't have hinges getting saggy and it doesn't block the isle when you open and close it.

The cassette toilet was a surprise. I did like the idea of being able to carry it into a rest area and dump it without having to find an RV dump.

My only concern is that I have a 200lb tongue weight limit. I was invited to make an appointment to tow it. We will load it to get the 200lb and see if it is stable (should be if the overall weight is in the 2000lb range).

I live almost 4 hours away, but I'm going to go do it. If it tows well with 200lb on the hitch, we talked about having the axle mounted a tad forward to create the proper weight distribution. If that works, I'm on it!
Ken in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #47

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cool for you Ken . If there was only one perfect trailer, there would only be one manufactucturer. Aren't we all glad, that's not the case. Different needs, different budgets, different areas of the country.... etc., etc., etc.,

Best of luck! I truly hope it works out well for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #48

Virginia
Good Point

You are so right, Donna. I enjoy looking at all the different ways folks approach this hobby. Seeing this little number reminded me of the camping when I was in the Army in Germany back in the '70's. I loved their simple straight forward way of doing things.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #49

Name: Carol
Trailer: Chalet XL for sale. Hoping to get a Snoozy.
New York
I am anxious to hear your experience. I am planning a trip down to SC in April and am going to squeeze in a trip to the factory to check out the Snoozy. It's hard to see the details from photos. Good luck!!
CarolMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #50

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
willing to show off lil snoozy

Carol,

I live alot closer than South Carolina. I'd be happy to show you my lil snoozy. I live in Williamsburg VA.

My lil snoozy tows easily. I hardly feel it, even going up to the mountains. I still have trouble backing it up, but I'm sorry to admit the problem is me.

I've had 4 used scamps and enjoyed all of them. I've had an rpod and enjoyed it. I'm always looking at trailers and thinking about them. I want minimum maintenance and fuss, and that's how I ended up with the lil snoozy. It feels much more durable than the rpod. If I wanted to live in a trailer, which I don't, the rpod had the most room, and was very comfy. It just didn't feel like it was built well. The scamps are wonderful, but I don't like the bed, and they are much more crowded inside.

I'd be happy to show off my lil snoozy to any lookers.

Ruth
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #51

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
I like em!

The Snoozy team brought 4 or 5 of them to the Cherokee Rally last October.
So we had a chance to see them get set up and explore the interiors.

One of the rally attendees, with a new 13'er, signed a contract for a Snoozy while at the rally.

They are very well thought out and seem a lot more roomy inside than our 17' Casita SD. There was a discussion recently on "Scampers" concerning the narrow isle in eggs like Scamps and Casitas. I was really impressed with the outside storage hatches, and under bed storage.

I have absolutely no problem with the total electric aspect. We don't boon-dock. We use the campgrounds power. But for emergencies the honda generator would surfice. Although doubtful that it would happily run the AC or heat at the same time while running a microwave.
I do like the idea of no LP tanks and no potential gas leaks.

Of course in an emergency with our camper we would not have AC and would have to depend on the battery and LP for other stuff.

The fridge, ac, suppy your own heater and hot plate, and so forth are all replaceable from HD or Lowes. I like the "straight in" entrance, making it easy to load bikes and such. Really like the Cassette toilet as I dispise dealing with a "slinky".

Concerning the hitch weight:

Remember it will increase as a generator is added to the tongue and "stuff" is put into the front storage.

The "man" was eager to hear suggestions and to work with folks to custom build what they want. He even walked around looking in the Casitas Scamps and a Burro for ideas.

If I was in the market for a new camper, it would likely be a Snoozy.

Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #52

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I will be picking up my Lil Snoozy in three weeks and am very excited. I had been researching and looking at glass trailers for four years and was unable to make a decision as to which one I wanted. Upon seeing the Lil Snoozy, I was so impressed with the thoughtful design and mostly the excellent build quality (that I believe will keep maintenance to a minimum), I made a decision to buy on the spot.
A visit to their plant is well worth it. I think their easy demeanor and eagerness to meet customer desires will impress any one that makes the trek to SC.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #53

Name: Carol
Trailer: Chalet XL for sale. Hoping to get a Snoozy.
New York
Ruth, thank you for your offer! I may just take you up on it - have to check out my route on the map.

Bill, I am anxious to hear about your Snoozy when you pick it up. What options you chose and photos of your new unit! Congratulations to you and good luck!

Carol Marie
CarolMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #54

Virginia
Carol, I think it is definitely worth swinging by there. They are right beside I-26, but you have to go a few miles from the exit to get back to them. I had a long talk with Nicholas Smoak, who stopped what he was doing and spent a good 30 minutes with us. He really has thought this thing through and was very helpful. He has experience with boats and airplanes, and his boat building experience really seems evident. This thing is built like boat and none if the inside components are structural.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #55

Virginia
Hi, Ruth, What are you using for a tow vehicle? Thanks, Ken
Old 03-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #56

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Ken,

I'm pulling my lil snoozy with a 2002 Toyota tundra.

I just got back from an rv show in Hampton Virginia. I like looking at the different choices, and see what they've come up with. The conventional rv builders have such flimsy rvs. They have more and more luxuries, they seem like homes. Im not sure what the point of these is. If you want to get away from home, and have every conceivable luxury, then why leave home at all. I guess I could sell my house and live in one of these.

There are more luxurious choices than a lil snoozy. I think I went round and round about it, and choose the lil snoozy for its durability. I don't want to worry about the maintenance all the time. I want something that has a minimum number of things that will go wrong.

Ruth
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
We have not seen Lil Snoozy yet but the layout as told to us is as follows: You enter from the back of the trailer, The wetbath is on one side and the Galley on the other. The bunks (or sofa) are forward of the Galley, the Queen bed is in the very front. I dont know where anything else is installed like fridge, A/C, furnace etc but that stuff isnt as important to us. From what know so far it will meet our needs the best if it makes it to production. The 2 most important points being a comfortable 4 sleeper and a bigger main bed. We would NEVER buy site unseen. Lil Snoozy is only 6 hrs from us and the kids will be on Spring Break so it should be a fun and hopefully fruitful trip.
I am wondering if melissab took delivery of this Lil Snoozy or not. I am very interested in this floor plan and was wondering if they actually could do such with this trailer.
George A Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #58

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RVIA Certification
A lot of RV dealers Won't/Can't sell new non-RVIA approved rigs. A few won't even sell used ones that weren't RVIA approved. Lil Snoozy might be looking at the opportunity to sell through existing dealerships as the demand grows.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #59

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by George A Shupp View Post
I am wondering if melissab took delivery of this Lil Snoozy or not. I am very interested in this floor plan and was wondering if they actually could do such with this trailer.

George, Melissa actually purchased at TAB travel trailer. So no, she didn't purchase the Lil Snoozy. But she's still around here.

I know someone here recently went to the Lil Snoozy Factory (sorry, can't think of who) but, hopefully they will see this post and help you with your questions. Good Luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
George, Melissa actually purchased at TAB travel trailer. So no, she didn't purchase the Lil Snoozy. But she's still around here.

I know someone here recently went to the Lil Snoozy Factory (sorry, can't think of who) but, hopefully they will see this post and help you with your questions. Good Luck!
Thank you Robin. I do see the t@b in her profile, that is what lead me to question if she every bought it or not. I am wondering why she did not buy as that may help me with deciding if I wish to buy or not.
George A Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy, scamp

« English Pod | Itchy »