Lions and Tigers and Bear's Oh my!!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Lions and Tigers and Bear's Oh my!!!!

This was posted on one of the glamping forum's on FB. It was a member who's trailer door was ripped apart by a bear. And yes it's a sticky but hey, a door's a door!
Attached Thumbnails
10603694_760977687271627_815531929633150421_n.jpg  
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Yup its that time of year when the bears get extra assertive in finding food before heading off to bed. Spent yesterday cleaning out every little scrap of food out of mine for that reason.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:30 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A salesman once told me that tent campers were not allowed to camp in Yellowstone because of bears but hard sided campers were because they are safer. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:48 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Yeah!! they walk right through tents, but they have to knock before they enter a FG. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:24 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Bears don't need doors, when I was up in the Yukon a trapper had been using a Boler as one of his "cabins" a bear went right through the kitchen wall in search of food .... the trapper used the kitchen regularly and cooked lot of bacon. In this case the bear just walked right through like a tent
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:54 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Bears don't need doors, when I was up in the Yukon a trapper had been using a Boler as one of his "cabins" a bear went right through the kitchen wall in search of food .... the trapper used the kitchen regularly and cooked lot of bacon. In this case the bear just walked right through like a tent

Ummm, bacon.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
A salesman once told me that tent campers were not allowed to camp in Yellowstone because of bears but hard sided campers were because they are safer. Raz
Trust me Raz had you ever had a bear come up to your tent and stick its face into the nylon & put its paw on your tent causing it to completely collapse with you zipped in it as happen to me (and 2 other tenters near by) while camping in Waterton-Glacer Peace Park in the early 70's you would agree a trailer is safer than a nylon tent when camping in Bear country!

I am going to take a guess that the incident pictured took place when no one was actually in the trailer. If it was a black bear and they heard someone inside they probable would have left. Not that it couldn't happen that one might try to get in when someone is in it but it is actually pretty rare.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Carol's story reminds me of that non-fiction book in Glacier Nat. Park. Good read but scarry
By Jack Olsen - Night of the Grizzlies
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H

Trust me Raz had you ever had a bear come up to your tent and stick its face into the nylon & put its paw on your tent causing it to completely collapse with you zipped in it as happen to me (and 2 other tenters near by) while camping in Waterton-Glacer Peace Park in the early 70's you would agree a trailer is safer than a nylon tent when camping in Bear country!
Well Carol, it was the 70's.

Name:   image-2166945747.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  12.9 KB

This is the closest I've ever come to a bear (except at the zoo). He came to visit one morning just outside the back door. Bears are more common in New Hampshire than here in VT and nothing like what you folks see. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A couple of years ago, my friend Sandy who's a Bolerite shared this picture with me. If my rememberer is right, the trailer was dropped at a trailhead and the owners trompped off into the wilderness. Came back several days later and a bear had made it's way inside. I don't know what or if food was left open inside or if "odors" caused the bear to check it out.

As Gina D has said... all molded towables "Hard and crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside."
Attached Thumbnails
BearDamageToABoler.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Carol's story reminds me of that non-fiction book in Glacier Nat. Park. Good read but scarry
By Jack Olsen - Night of the Grizzlies
Will have to read it. Fortunately the bears that took our tent down where black bears. Not so scary. All bets are off when it comes to Grizzlies.