List - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Perris Pacer
Registry
Ok I've noticed that whenever I go camping I always take way to much stuff, you see I have me and my wife and an almost three year old son. And when we go camping ( only in the tent trailer to this point) we always have a truckload of gear, even if it's only for one night or so. I'd thought maybe I could get an Idea of what to pack in the new trailer, to keep there on a permanent basis, and so the question what do you guys pack it your trailers for camping?

Thanks
Jason
JasonWesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Most important thing for me is the WIFE.
If I forget anything else, I can buy it.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Quote:
LOL!
Smart man!
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

After every trip, remove anything you didn't use.... soon you will have the bare, basic necessities. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
lol
Old 10-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
After every trip, remove anything you didn't use.... soon you will have the bare, basic necessities. Larry

That's good advice thanks
Old 10-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Jason, This is a hard question to answer. But know you will find after a few trips what is "have to takes" and what is " leave at home". But only "you" can really determine that. What makes your family comfortable while camping? The first few trips I drug it all with me but learned that if I didn't use it on a 3 week trip, I probably would never use it so why drag it around? We all have our own wants and needs. Personally I wouldn't leave the driveway without clothes ( I like clean clothes) clean sheets, fresh pillows, towels and a coffee pot. Others could care less about any of that and can get by with an old musty sleeping bag. Of course there are must have's like a Flashlight but I really don't even use a flashlight all that often so it's only there for emergency's. But for you it may come in handy every trip. Because each trip for us, is different I keep things like toasters for example, both electric and campfire, stored in an area of our barn ( it's really a big building and not a barn) if we are going to be in a campground/rvpark with hook ups the electric toaster get's put in, if we are going to be dry camping the campfire toaster gets put in, that way I am not dragging things each and every trip that are not needed for that particular trip. But I have that luxury because of the barn and that's probably not feasible for everyone to be able to change out the trailer by trip needs. Personally I need to learn to cut down on what I take food wise, we would never end up eating all that food I take. But I never want to Not have enough. LOL. That's why I say, only you can decide what works for you. But will try and suggest a few things that are always in the trailer.

Silver ware and utensils, pots and pans ( though some of those get changed out per type of trip) For me there is no use to drag along electric skillet or crock pot when we are gonna be dry camping. And why drag a heavy dutch oven if we are gonna be with full hook ups resort type place for the trip?
place setting for each of us
Paper plates and cups ( just a few of each)
First aid kit
Flash Light, and that's about it. But add lot's of stuff for the type of trip we will be taking.

As for what always ends up in the truck,
Lawn Chairs
Tools ( though limited cause I will just call someone to fix what needs fixin)
Jack, and that's about it. Of coures it gets loaded up with the trip "needs"

Good luck figureing it out, cause I don't think most of us have. People either take toooooo much or learn to live without. But don't think there is the perfect answer. Just learn to have fun no matter what you forgot to take along.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Howdy, Neighbor! We are in Galt, but have SOME ties (Church) to Lodi.

and Welcome to MFROG!
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #9

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
well, jason, i agree with larry 100%. i have the bare essentials in our trailer, left in all the time and the way i look at it---if i don't have it, i don't need it---i improvise. even a supply of pots and pans barely gets used---i do alot of cooking using tin foil packets and as long as i have a roll of tin foil i can cook darn near anything! half the fun of camping, for me, is doing things differently than at home....not having all the conveniences, improvising and enjoying each step along the way!
happy camping to you!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
When a friend touring my trailer commented that I had more food (staples) than she did in her whole kitchen at home - I started to rethink what I carry!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
"...the question what do you guys pack it your trailers for camping?"

Thanks
Jason
I have spent the last few years developing a "master checklist" spreadsheet, creating a list of columns with headings like "tools", "first aid", "cooking gear", "food", etc. Many items appear in multiple columns. Then depending on the trip or activity and cut and paste a unique list just for that, and save it as a PDF. I've attached a sample PDF showing the two columns I have for our Trillium. Hope this helps.
Sample_checklist_columns.pdf
Old 10-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #12

Registry
Hey thanks all I got some really great advise and now i have some info to use when me and the wife out together the list for the trailer
Old 10-29-2009, 11:31 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Howdy, Neighbor! We are in Galt, but have SOME ties (Church) to Lodi.

and Welcome to MFROG!
Hey Sweet I Went to School in Galt. Graduated from Galt high even, the other cool thing is i got this trailer on Liberty road just east of 99
Old 10-30-2009, 08:11 AM   #14

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Jason - my kids went to GHS - you are the age of my youngest, Steve Weinel. He has an older brother Chris (born 1978) and an older sister Jessica (born 1976).

I have SEEN that rig out on Liberty. I am sure it is the same one - the red/white combo. On the North side of Liberty and the folks had it parked next to a Stickie 5er, right???

I had thought about trying to buy if for a Project Trailer, but I'm glad YOU guys got it.
(Wife would NOT have been happy had I dragged it home).

Enjoy!!

Regards,
Alan W.

Quote:
Hey Sweet I Went to School in Galt. Graduated from Galt high even, the other cool thing is i got this trailer on Liberty road just east of 99
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Quote:
I think temps can be bought.......true?
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:22 PM   #16

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I don't like packing and unpacking so I had dedicated silverware, dishes, cups etc. that are always in the trailer. Same goes for foil, waxed paper etc. Tools, flashlights, matches etc. also always in the trailer. Small electric appliances always in the trailer.

It's really only clothes and food that I take in and out of the trailer.

You folks really need to take a couple of camp trips to identify what you took you didn't need and what you didn't take that you did need.

I'm up in Sonora. We have quite a few Scamp, Casitas, Perris Pacer etc. within a 50 mile radius. I've been thinking about a little trip to New Hogan Res. that would be at Valley Springs. I'm thinking about November 18 to 21st if anyone cares to join me.

We've Alan, Earl, Jason in Lodi/Galt area. Bob and others in Arnold area. Myself, Dave in Sonora. As well as others not too far away.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #17

Registry
That sounds like it would be cool, unfortunatly I already have something doin that weekend
Old 11-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #18

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Hi Jason! Having 2 kids I can totally identify with taking too much stuff. Since you have such a young little guy may I suggest keeping a shoe box for "rainy days" in the camper. With my now 6 yr old I still keep one stocked with Dollar Store toys, popsicle stick crafts, crayons, notepad, playdoh, new story book, Army men, cars (yes, she is a girl but loves them just the same, lol), just odds and ends that only come out on rainy days so they are new and exciting to keep her entertained. If it's always in the camper you dont have to worry about forgetting to pack the rainy day box. We also always have a sand bucket and shovel. Most campgrounds have a playground with sand and if not we've found she is just as happy digging in the dirt. The bucket is handy when she wants to carry pine cones, rocks or whatever treasures she finds. Bubbles are a must too! If you can keep just a few of these items in the camper at all times you will have one happy little guy no matter what the weather and it's less stress not having to remember it every time. Some days my daughter hopes it rains so she can play with the rainy day box, lol.

Hope this helps,

Melissa
Old 11-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #19

Registry
That is such good advice thank you so much for taking the time to give your input my wife thanks you as well.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Exclamation

You're quite welcome. If you've never camped with little ones you dont usually think of these things. I wish somebody had told us sooner as we had several rainy days in a tent with a very unhappy 2 yr old before we were "enlightened", lol. One other thing we did was try and bring a movie (either rent, borrow or purchase) she'd never seen before. Sometimes little ones can be crabby and nothing will make them happy especially if they are over tired from being stimulated all day. She never napped good while camping. We'd save the new movie for those moments. We have a little portable DVD player we can plug in. Sometimes it was the only way to get her to relax enough to lay still and go to sleep after an exciting day. When we used this technique she never usually made it any further into the movie then 10-15 minutes. Then Mom and Dad get to sit outside and play some cards or just look up at the stars in peace. Many parents take this rare opportunity to enjoy an adult beverage as well.

Enjoy making memories with your family.

Melissa

Quote:
That is such good advice thank you so much for taking the time to give your input my wife thanks you as well.