List of must haves for our maiden voyage! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
List of must haves for our maiden voyage!

Now that we are heading out, with our weather radio on board, I need to bring what we will need for the maiden voyage home to Michigan. I got all the basics, bedding, kitchen ware, bathroom needs covered. Are there any things you think make spending time on the road in your TT more enjoyable? As in things you wouldn't have thought of had you not spent time in one on the road? I realize I can stop and get what I need but it's always nice to hear what others think is important or fun to have that's not on the essential list. Ideas? We are getting pretty excited....leaving the snow behind on Monday....reaching Arizona on Thursday....and then the fun begins!

Karen
Old 05-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
A lantern & portable bbq. Folding chairs
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My Sirius satellite radio. I pay the subscription year round, but only use it on the road and in the trailer. Even so, it's worth it to listen to Our Miss Brooks and Green Hornet radio shows, CBC news and current events, and your choice of music.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Propane fire pit.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #5

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
If your going to camp in Forest Service or State campgrounds you may need a Water Thief.
It's nothing illegal.
It's a rubber attachment for the end of your water hose that will slide on the threadless water spigots a lot of camp grounds use.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Propane fire pit, chairs, small outside table to put your drinks on, a couple of small flash lights, a large lantern, a outside door mat, mp3 player & speakers, small portable radio, playing cards or other small games, a small broom & dust pan, water pressure regulator, small BQ, a case of levelling blocks, First Aid kit, rubber gloves to wear if you need to dump your tanks and a box of sani wipes, a couple of good books or an e-reader and a couple of bottles of good wine - oh and the bottle opener!!

Have fun!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
....LOL, a real good quality church key, an a coupla nice large wine glasses!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #8

Michigan
Registry
Smile

Ha ha. I got those wine glasses and the church key. But there were a few items listed I'm putting on my list right now!
Old 05-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Don't forget the hot tub and sauna. You'll need bicycles 2 for each person, road bike, and mountain bike, canoe or two, kayaks, several different kinds of paddles and life jackets.
You'll also need bear spray, bug repellant (no deet, it melts plastic and some people think they're made of plastic), a couple cords of fire wood, lots of charcoal and starter fluid. A couple boxes of matches. Sunscreen, bug net hats and jackets. An couple extra 20 lb full propane tanks and a very large truck to haul all the stuff.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:40 PM   #10

Michigan
Registry
Ha ha. Keeping it simple this time so no hot tub. But rubber gloves. Yes! Bug spray ? Already? I suppose. I'm still in snow. But yes I suppose there are bugs in Tennessee.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
No that I've gone maxi on you lets get real for moment. Have you ever tent camped? If so the answer to your question is take the same stuff sans tent. If want even more simple go sans stove since you can do that inside the trailer. Lots of stuff to complicate your life is mandatory per some people's opinion. The more you can leave at home the more simple the camping, the more you enjoy the outdoors. In this case less is more.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #12

Michigan
Registry
Great response. As a matter of fact, we have been backpackers for the most part so get the less is more. Moving into the comforts of a FGtT now. Seems like a luxury for us. I'm sure it will be glorious. Love the tips.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:01 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
I still say LP fire pit. Don't have to haul wood, buy wood, split and carry wood. I did it for years and swore off the first lp pit until I sat around one. Efficient, warm, relaxing to look at, clean, easy to cook on etc. Lighter than any wood you carry and if you buy 1 $5 bundle each time you camp in 20 trips you could have bought an lp pit. For those against it, try one before you comment.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:08 PM   #14

Michigan
Registry
I have never heard of those. Where do you get them?
Old 05-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbingel View Post
Ha ha. Keeping it simple this time so no hot tub. But rubber gloves. Yes! Bug spray ? Already? I suppose. I'm still in snow. But yes I suppose there are bugs in Tennessee.
Don't forget the sunscreen! Its that time of year were the weather can switch fast.... we had weather in the low 80's here in BC this week for a few days... cool and rainy again today.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbingel View Post
I have never heard of those. Where do you get them?
Costco sells a fairly nice large one. A number of my friends including myself have a smaller one called a Fire Dancer. Camping World sells one called Campfire in a Can.

Gas fire pits are very popular in this area as most summers a great deal of the west both north and south have campfire bans due to high forest fire risks but the propane appliances including the fire pit are still permitted. Kind of takes the fun out of camping if you can't have a fire in the evening.

Agree with Newfisher that it really does save on the cost of firewood or the need to haul it around. Moving wood from area to area is a real bad idea these days due to the various bugs eating up our forests. You can also use most of the propane fire pits under your trailers awning if its raining and on top of the outdoor mat without fear of burning anything up. The fact you and the trailer don't smell like a campfire for days on end is another big plus.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't carry around firewood, or a propane fire pit.
I just sit around another camper's fire.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:47 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Gee Carol the after smell of a wood camp fire is all part of camping. I think I would miss it when cleaning out the trailer, kind of something to remind me of good nights around the fire with friends. I can understand the reasons for LP but.....
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:00 AM   #19

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
We've tried to keep things simple to keep the weight down, but extra food preparation items have slowly accumulated. We have a 24" X 48" folding table and a 2 burner propane stove for an outside kitchen. Plus a 5lb propane bottle so we don't have to keep buying those little cans. And an electric frying pan and a crock pot.
Also, if your trailer doesn't have a built-in step you'll want something to use as a step.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #20

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
The most important things of all: patience & a sense of humor!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote