Living in rv - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #15

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I went through the same thing with my mothers bedroom set. She had bought a solid wood bedroom set for the master bedroom that was immaculate. I inherited this bedroom set, but it was too big for my bedrooms, and I already had a nice master bedroom set.
My daughters didn't want it for their homes. They went out and bought new ones. Laminated with press wood core of course. I ended up giving it to a friend of mine who needed one.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 01-12-2016, 10:14 AM   #16

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Living in rv

We've been paring way down for the last couple of months in preparation for a move from Montreal to Vancouver. When we moved here we brought all our "crap" with us at great expense, which we now dearly regret.
Anyway, the decision we use is a bit morbid. We ask, "What would the kids do with these items if we were to die suddenly and they had to come in and clean out our junk?" If the answer is that they'd most likely take it to a thrift store or put it in the trash then out it goes. For those few items that have real or sentimental value, we ask them. They've taken a few things. Other valuable pieces we try to sell. But if there are no takers it's off to the thrift store!
Our small apartment in Vancouver will be sparsely furnished and contain few mementos.
I can't begin to tell you what a great sense of freedom (or lightness) this process of elimination has given us.

If we did go full time we'd have no problem getting rid of the little we have left.

Oh, and I'm going 6 months "full time" this summer. Just me in 13 feet (well, 10 actually)!

Old 01-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #17

Name: Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
Craigslist!

Take pictures of your things and list them on Craigslist. Save yourself the hassle of taking your discardable stuff anywhere -- people will come get it, and if no one wants to pay you for it, just list it under Free Stuff.

I needed 250 hard bound books gone quickly, I listed the lot as free, and two idealistic young women who were setting up an inner city coffee shop lending library took every one of them.

Everything I had was sold or given away with a minimum of heavy lifting on my part. I now live and travel full time with my cat in a 17-foot Casita. Nothing's in storage. This is my home. I'm 69 years old. The freedom is priceless.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #18

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Craigslist is good, and don't forget Freecycle for stuff you'd like to just give away.
I've used it quite a bit. Snap, it's gone and no effort on my part. It's great to see things find a new home, spare the landfill, even help out folks that are in need.
YMCA Thriftshops, Goodwill, lots of possibilities.

Walt
Old 01-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #19

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Wonderful story Wendy. Yes, freedom IS priceless.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Has anyone ever seen a moving van or a Brinks truck in a funeral procession?
Old 01-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #21

Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamper jim View Post
has anyone ever seen a moving van or a brinks truck in a funeral procession?
😅😅😅😅
Old 01-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #22

Delaware
I agree with Jon in AZ--kids do change as they get older and start to treasure the memories of their childhood--and the things associated with it.

rgrugg--i forgot about Friends of the Library--i'll have to check them out.

Marky--it was nice of you to give the bedroom set to someone who really needed it.

Wendy--that's a good idea--i never thought of Craig's list. Thanks. And I envy you in your casita traveling around.

WaltP--i never heard of Freecycle--i'll have to check on that too.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:11 PM   #23

Delaware
I have a new question---do the Casitas have a built in surge protector; if not would they put one in if asked? And if they won't can I have someone put one in? I know I can buy one and plug it in at the electrical post but I would worry about someone taking it when I'm away from my campsite.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:15 PM   #24

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Casitas do not come with a built-in. I don't think they'd put one in, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask.
It's not a complicated job though and any RV shop or electrician could likely do it.

Walt
Old 01-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #25

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I'm my parent's kid ( I'm 67 ) and I have no interest in any of the stuff they have, and that includes three recreational lots they own. And, I'd like my kid to come and get her stuff since our house is already small enough.
As housing, like condos, continues to shrink, people have no room for knickknacks and certainly no room for king beds.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:23 PM   #26

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Casitas do not come with a built-in. I don't think they'd put one in, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask.
It's not a complicated job though and any RV shop or electrician could likely do it.

Walt
Thanks Walt.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:20 AM   #27

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We are definitely in a period with unprecedented and accelerating change. Though we're not too bad at incorporating change into our lives, our children (with us for 2 weeks) are much more able to adopt to change.

What we consider important to our lives is not the same as them.

Books certainly are at the top of the trash heap of change. Our grandson is building a clinic in central India. He's thankful for e-books. He could never take 6 months worth of books to India but can download what he wants. Interestingly he commented on the most important items he brought with him. It included electronics and a good plumb bob.

Change, a young american man flies to the middle of India to build a clinic, e-book and plumb bob in hand.
You must be very proud of your grandson. I wish him much success in what he's doing. Aren't we lucky to be living today with the internet and different ways of communicating! He can bring his 'books'--no problem. He can talk to his parent's and you--almost instantly. And he can bring his
plumb Bob! (what is that, anyway?). Wish him the best. I looked up plumb Bob and now know what it is. Funny, when I first heard it I kinda of thought it was something like that (from my father and then my husband when they were building something). I always heard plumb line--never heard it referred to as a plumb Bob, must be a different way of using it.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:03 AM   #28
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Books

A while back a fellow that owns a used book store was on the local radio talk show. People come to him all the time for appraisals, especially family bibles. Most have no monetary value. Unless you have a first edition or a signed copy, donation or recycling is your best bet. Around here libraries are happy to get donations to sell at the annual book sale. I finally parted with my college text books. Most of them. Raz

Tags
vin