Loading generator on truck - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
You could get one of these big game hoist. I have one. Sportsmans guide has them on sell for $89.00 that have a 300lb range. They would pick up a gen. with no problem. And it swivels to load into the truck.
Nice! And the price seems right.

I'm sort of leaning in the direction of the Yamaha EF3000iSEB right now because of the boost feature and the ability to shut off the fuel separate from the ignition shut-off. And it's blue. Did red already.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #16

Name: Orlen
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Colorado
eu2000 and Dometic Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
I stand corrected on the size of the air conditioner on our trailer. It's a Dometic Penquin, either a 11,000 or 13,500 BTU unit not the 15,000 BTU mentioned earlier. Regardless, so you're saying that the air conditioner, say at 13,500 BTU, would run fine with the Honda EU2000is after installing the "hard start" capacitor?
I used an eu2000 to run a Dometic Penguin 13,500 BTU A/C on a previous camper (a Rockwood popup). It worked just fine with the original factory cap so I did not install a hard start cap. Current draw was about 8.9 A in run and start current for about a half second was about 12 A with a sharp spike of over 20 A for a few milliseconds.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #17
SRD

us
I didn't expect to address the size of the generator with my original post but since the subject was brought up, both of the following links suggests that a Honda EU2000is is not large enough for my Dometic Penguin 13,500 (I just checked the size).
Honda Generators - Wattage estimation guide
http://www.dometic.com/b154c316-93cf...c7604cad.fodoc

Why do personal experiences differ?
Old 09-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I didn't expect to address the size of the generator with my original post but since the subject was brought up, both of the following links suggests that a Honda EU2000is is not large enough for my Dometic Penguin 13,500 (I just checked the size).
Honda Generators - Wattage estimation guide
http://www.dometic.com/b154c316-93cf...c7604cad.fodoc

According to these two links the Honda EU2000i is at it's limit when the A/C is running. Since most manufacturers specifications are usually a bit conservative the 0.1 amp over spec. is most likely good to go along with a slight specification variation of the A/C. This doesn't take into account the starting current, therefore with soft start (I think somebody referred to it as "hard start") it's quite possible that it would all work.

EDIT to reword the specifications.
A/C specifications = it won't require more power than.
Generator specifications = it'll produce at least this much power.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #19

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
One reason might be that different generators have different surge capacity even with the same continuous wattage output rating. Inverter generators generally have lower surge capacity.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #20

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
One reason might be that different generators have different surge capacity even with the same continuous wattage output rating. Inverter generators generally have lower surge capacity.
The Honda generators are "Gensets" meaning generator/inverter type.
I agree that surge the difference. The Dometic specifications are with standard start and would require a bigger genset to start. However once it's started the A/C would most likely continue to run.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Actually, with a LOT of experience with AC's in Toyota Motorhomes, 9800 BTU roof ac's run fine with a Honda 2000 and a "Few" have gotten by using a hard-start kit on 13,500 AC's with a Honda 2000, but not all were sucessful. What you are up against is called "Locked Rotor Current" and is caused by the system being pressurized when restarting. Look up locked rotor current in the specs when looking for restart current requirements.

As far as lifting a 3000, look in Craigslist for a used wheelchair lift. They are usually rated to lift at least 300 lbs. and most use a nylon web belt rather than a cable for lifting.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
SRD

us
I understand a little better now but why does Dometic call for a 3.5kw generator?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #23

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The Honda generators are "Gensets" meaning generator/inverter type.
"Genset" just means "generator set", meaning a generator combined with an engine to drive it. Everything we call a "generator" in RV discussions is assumed to include the engine, and is really a genset... even the cheapest non-inverter fixed speed noismaker. The term was in common use before inverters existed; it does not imply the inclusion of an inverter.

I'm only talking about the meaning of the term "genset"... the Honda EU series are indeed generators (or gensets) which incorporate an inverter (no disagreement there).

Any modern generator (or genset) which can vary in engine speed (something Honda calls Eco mode) while still producing the standard 60 Hz AC power will be using an inverter to accomplish this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #24

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Many of the Toyota motorhomes have a 2.8 kw gen set and it will strain if any other electrical are in use at the same time as a 13,500 BTU a/c. I am sure that the reason for the 3.5 spec is to allow for other electrical loads at the same time and not cause the a/c to pull down the generator
Old 09-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Old 09-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #26

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I'm with you.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #27

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I'm with you.
For once I agree with Tom completely and I am not ashamed to admit it!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #28
SRD

us
My wife came up with a suggestion this morning that I have to admit is probably the best idea so far. Her idea was to get a platform lift. After hearing that I immediately thought of a motorcycle lift or something similar.

I stopped by Camping World this morning to check out the Honda EU3000is and was surprised to learn that some of the features that steered me in the direction of the Yamaha are now found on the Honda, namely a fuel level indicator and separate fuel shutoff valve. So, I may go the Honda route again.

Tags
generator