Loading generator on truck - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Loading generator on truck

I'm about to buy another generator and was thinking of getting either the Honda EU3000is or Yamaha EF3000iSEB. Both are well over 100 lbs. and loading onto my pickup might be a challenge. While camping I intend to leave it on the truck but before and after trips is the problem. Any suggestions from those with a similar situation would be appreciated.

Also, I just sold my Honda EU2000is because it would not run the AC. Any suggestions on either of the above generators powering an AC? My Bigfoot 21RB has a 15,000 BTU AC I believe.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
You probably would have been better off keeping the Honda EU200i and purchasing a second EU200is with the connection kit. 4000 watts split and easier to move.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
How about a truck-mounted crane? Unfortunately, the crane would weight about the same as the generator, unless you were to find (or make) a more suitable size than my quickly found example.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
You probably would have been better off keeping the Honda EU200i and purchasing a second EU200is with the connection kit. 4000 watts split and easier to move.
I think that this is a good suggestion. You can also add an inverter to use with the generator so the inverter just provides the boost for starting the compressor.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWM&cad=rja
Old 09-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #5

Quote:
While I don't generally like the idea of more complication (twice as many parts; two engines to maintain) in this case I think this a good idea. When you need a small generator for other purposes, you don't have to haul all 4000 watts worth around.

I was surprised when I first heard that these generators work well in pairs, but apparently they do, nicely coordinating with each other.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
You can also add an inverter to use with the generator so the inverter just provides the boost for starting the compressor.
This is sometimes called a "hybrid" generator system. It's a good idea when the only problem with the generator's capacity is handling the starting surge.

Just as two generators that incorporate inverters into their designcan combine their outputs, an inverter generator and a battery-driven generator can combine their outputs. After the generator starts, a converter or battery charger needs to charge the battery back up, using the generator's output but at a much slower rate.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This is sometimes called a "hybrid" generator system. It's a good idea when the only problem with the generator's capacity is handling the starting surge............
Right, which is commonly the problem with AC units due to the large surge starting the compressor, especially if there is residual pressure.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Here is a crane made for your truck bed, $129
Pick-up Truck Bed Crane
Old 09-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
SRD

us
Quote:
I thought about getting a second EU2000is for the ease of loading but the remote start option of some larger generators is appealing. Besides I figured the only time the generator would have to be moved is before and after a camping trip. The rest of the time it could be stored in the pickup under a camper shell. I've seen others with a similar setup just roll the generator onto the tailgate to run it. My first thought was to get a lightweight loading ramp that I could remain at home. Might be nice to have anyway for other uses. Being able to power the 15,000 AC is still a concern though.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Come along or block and tackle plus a ramp? Assuming you can put a dolly under the genny.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Come along or block and tackle plus a ramp? Assuming you can put a dolly under the genny.
That sounds like a good idea. I could use one or both of the tie-downs in the front of the pickup bed to attach it. Or something more elaborate that I just found on YouTube ...

I was thinking of also getting the wheel kit for the Honda. The Yamaha already has that feature.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I see you have a Bigfoot and know even less about A/C, but there's quite a few folks that have A/Cs that install the "hard start" capicator on their A/Cs so it will start with the Honda 2000.. which is too late for you since you sold your generator.... hummm
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #13

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Hoist

You could get one of these big game hoist. I have one. Sportsmans guide has them on sell for $89.00 that have a 300lb range. They would pick up a gen. with no problem. And it swivels to load into the truck.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I see you have a Bigfoot and know even less about A/C, but there's quite a few folks that have A/Cs that install the "hard start" capicator on their A/Cs so it will start with the Honda 2000.. which is too late for you since you sold your generator.... hummm
I stand corrected on the size of the air conditioner on our trailer. It's a Dometic Penquin, either a 11,000 or 13,500 BTU unit not the 15,000 BTU mentioned earlier. Regardless, so you're saying that the air conditioner, say at 13,500 BTU, would run fine with the Honda EU2000is after installing the "hard start" capacitor?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
You could get one of these big game hoist. I have one. Sportsmans guide has them on sell for $89.00 that have a 300lb range. They would pick up a gen. with no problem. And it swivels to load into the truck.
Nice! And the price seems right.

I'm sort of leaning in the direction of the Yamaha EF3000iSEB right now because of the boost feature and the ability to shut off the fuel separate from the ignition shut-off. And it's blue. Did red already.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #16

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
eu2000 and Dometic Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
I stand corrected on the size of the air conditioner on our trailer. It's a Dometic Penquin, either a 11,000 or 13,500 BTU unit not the 15,000 BTU mentioned earlier. Regardless, so you're saying that the air conditioner, say at 13,500 BTU, would run fine with the Honda EU2000is after installing the "hard start" capacitor?
I used an eu2000 to run a Dometic Penguin 13,500 BTU A/C on a previous camper (a Rockwood popup). It worked just fine with the original factory cap so I did not install a hard start cap. Current draw was about 8.9 A in run and start current for about a half second was about 12 A with a sharp spike of over 20 A for a few milliseconds.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
SRD

us
I didn't expect to address the size of the generator with my original post but since the subject was brought up, both of the following links suggests that a Honda EU2000is is not large enough for my Dometic Penguin 13,500 (I just checked the size).
Honda Generators - Wattage estimation guide
http://www.dometic.com/b154c316-93cf...c7604cad.fodoc

Why do personal experiences differ?
Old 09-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
I didn't expect to address the size of the generator with my original post but since the subject was brought up, both of the following links suggests that a Honda EU2000is is not large enough for my Dometic Penguin 13,500 (I just checked the size).
Honda Generators - Wattage estimation guide
http://www.dometic.com/b154c316-93cf...c7604cad.fodoc

According to these two links the Honda EU2000i is at it's limit when the A/C is running. Since most manufacturers specifications are usually a bit conservative the 0.1 amp over spec. is most likely good to go along with a slight specification variation of the A/C. This doesn't take into account the starting current, therefore with soft start (I think somebody referred to it as "hard start") it's quite possible that it would all work.

EDIT to reword the specifications.
A/C specifications = it won't require more power than.
Generator specifications = it'll produce at least this much power.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #19

Quote:
One reason might be that different generators have different surge capacity even with the same continuous wattage output rating. Inverter generators generally have lower surge capacity.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
One reason might be that different generators have different surge capacity even with the same continuous wattage output rating. Inverter generators generally have lower surge capacity.
The Honda generators are "Gensets" meaning generator/inverter type.
I agree that surge the difference. The Dometic specifications are with standard start and would require a bigger genset to start. However once it's started the A/C would most likely continue to run.

Tags
generator