locating an owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
locating an owner

I saw a 13' Scamp at a home near where I live. How would I find out (without knocking on the door) if the owner is a member of this club? Don't want to break any rules here but would like to see that unit sometime. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bill
Chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Take a pic of it in front of the house ( showing both ) and post the pic with your request. But, knocking on the door or leaving a note is probably a better idea.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Knock on the door! Majority of rv'ers are very nice and will be more than glad to show off their lil glass trailer. Just don't be creepy! Leave a note with your name, number and a little explanation of your interest in their glass trailer!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Knock on the door! Majority of rv'ers are very nice and will be more than glad to show off their lil glass trailer. Just don't be creepy! Leave a note with your name, number and a little explanation of your interest in their glass trailer!
Agreed! I'd feel a little strange to find a picture of my trailer and/or house posted anywhere on the internet (even here), but leave a note on my door with a phone number and I'd be happy to show off my trailer. I'm thinking a note might be better than knocking, since it allows the owner to respond at his/her convenience.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #5

Nevada
I'll probably send them a postcard or leave a note. Long time ago I was real gutsy, probably would knock on the door in a heartbeat....but times have changed. I try to be more considerate now and hesitate to intrude on anyone. It's in a neighbor hood and I'm sure 10 people will see me leave the note, that's a good thing. I'll gladly speak to one of the neighbors just to let them know what I'm doing. Now, if it was in a campground the owner would have no peace until they answered the door! Thanks for your feedback.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:52 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I think that pretty much all moulded owners kind of expect to be asked questions about our eggs. I know I hit up a few for a peek and info before buying one. All were more than happy to show them. I wondered how long it would be before I was asked. One hour into my first trip at a gas stop, I put a note in the travel log too
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:32 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
When I am finally finished working on my 4500 I will have to move it to the overflow parking lot at the other end of the building [with locks and chains]. I will put a note in the window saying it is not for sale. This will save a lot of hassle for the tenants in that wing. People just look for an owner and ask "Is it for sale?".
Knock on the door or stop by if you see them in the yard. Betcha they won't bite.
Good Luck. SD
Old 08-03-2014, 05:33 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There was a discussion here a while back started by someone that really didn't like people coming on their property and asking if the trailer was for sale, so not everyone wants to be bothered by lookers and questions. We ourselves are not like that and don't mind curious people at campgrounds, gas stations, or rest stops. We get more interest in our teardrop than the Uhaul. There was also a recent discussion over on the tnttt site started by someone annoyed by lookers with questions. Our attitude is we are always open to show our campers and even had a "visitors welcome" sign made for those that are too shy to ask. Rule #1, make the bed as soon as you get out of it, LOL.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #9

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Ours can be seen from street and we get folks knocking on the door all the time to ask about it. We don't mind. Most want to know if we want to sell, which we don't. I think most of us are used to it.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita
Registry
One thing that I have done is print out some FB home pages and have them to give FG owners when I run into them. Just keep a few copies in your car & camper. I tell them there's lots of good info to check out that will help them with the care and maintenance of their unit. It's a good conversation starter. It's surprising how few I run across that know about us.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #11

Nevada
I like the idea of printing out FB home pages. Never thought of that! I always wonder when I see a Scamp or Casita, are they members? Thanks for that tip.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:15 AM   #12

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Just knock on the door and say HELLO. That's the way we do it in the Teardrop and Vintage Trailer family. Just don't be dressed like a bum.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 AM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I vote for the note in the mailbox. Let them know that you are interested in looking at the trailer and are interested in learning more about the molded fiberglass. That way they can call you on their schedule if they want to respond. They may not be members here, but might belong to one of the other online groups.

The gentleman that knocked on our door at 6:00 AM one day did not get our typical FGRV friendly response.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
What works for Moi...

When I spot a trailer of interest I always send a letter, here's why:

1. As we hardly ever get a personal letter any more, it's a unique experience for the recipient. I usually put the trailers name in the address, i.e.; Hunter Owner, 128 Main St, Peoria, IN. And I always include an identifiable return address. With a little extra on-line searching you can often find the occupants name and further personalize the address.

2. A letter gives the recipient something to think about. When you knock on the door, if that thought isn't already in their mind they will say NO. Then, as little as 10 minutes later, after being told about the query, their spouse will help them change their mind, etc. but you will be gone.

3. Scribbled notes with a name and phone number get lost. A letter in an envelope may be set aside for future reference.

4. Scribbled notes are often seen as sent by bargain hunters and are ignored, a letter sends a more serious meaning and you can convey your reasons for interest, such as family camping, your retirement plan/needs etc.

5. A letter gives a potential seller time to scope out the current prices and be able to come up with a reasonable price before responding. Of course that can be good or bad, depending on your reason for asking.

I have gotten a number of follow up calls ranging from, "No thanks, but I will keep you in mind" to "I hadn't thought about selling it until now"

I obtained the Palomino pop-up I just finished rebuilding for my son and daughter-in-law in this manner. But, the seller waited almost a month before they made the decision to sell and called me on the phone. BTW: It was a super deal at their asking price.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Note is good, but not in the mailbox. I believe it's a violation of US postal regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #16

Name: Anne
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Jon is right about illegal use of mailboxes. No notes, flyers or literature can be left in or attached to mailboxes unless proper postage is used.
My preferences are in line with what Bob stated. A week after parking my trailer at my son's house someone knocked on the door while their toddler was napping to ask if i wanted to sell it. They got a rude send off from the in-law who was babysitting. A postcard or letter would have made it to me and I would be glad to direct them to this site.
My experience when I owned a burro was that people who just stopped by didn't realize the value and expected to pay what they would for a tent trailer of that vintage!
As another personal preference, I am always polite to those who disturb me between 9am and 5pm, as I often knock on doors in my community volunteer work. However, when I camp I look for privacy and seclusion. My dog is very suspicious, and in our 13 yrs together I have not been able to dissuade her, so I do not appreciate being disturbed on the road. I won't be rude but I will be terse in those situations. (Of course, some people seem to equate terse with rude. Oh well!)
Fire-N-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Knock on the door at a reasonable time of day or early evening. Introduce yourself and let them know that you would love a tour if possible (but its not obligatory).
Tell them you are happy to come back at a time convenient to them.

If they are not willing, then call up Scamp and have them give you names of owners in your area that 'give tours'. I did that and got a very nice tour of a little 13ft Scamp.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote