Lock Bumping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Quote:
The point of the RV article is that the Bump Keys are for the deadbolt locks -- They advised also locking the RV lock as an added deterrent to bumpers with only home lock keys.
The technique works on all locks with tumblers the the key fits in.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Quote:
While I know that my last post rained on the anti-bump lock parade, Here is the reality which I have learned from working in the IT security industry and it applies to physical security as well here.

Physical security must take place in layers. Perhaps a camper alarm might be in order if need be. Choosing where your camper resides is another. Figuring out layers of security is how you deter a breakin.
Just my .02 cents.
Good point.

My effort is to give information. Knowledge is power. From there you can decide what strategy is best for you.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #17

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Keep your insurance premiums paid because if they can't pick the lock they will find another way in and if your convinced that a lock will be your security and you want to spend the bucks go to a locksmith who sells Medeco Locks and you can buy an unpickable deadbolt or they also make unpickable replacement cylinders for about any make lock. The locks that these folks are bumping have nonrotating pins in them and the keys are cut straight across which makes them easy to pick or bump. Medeco's locks the pins have to rotate to get the lock open and the keys teeth are cut at different angles as well as depth.
The other safe locks would be the type that many auto makers are using now with the teeth machined into the side of the key. If they want to get in bad enough they will so, as said above locks are to keep out honest folk
Old 01-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
The technique works on all locks with tumblers the the key fits in.
I'll have to try my master lock key on my topper or Scamp door as I sometimes confuse them!

"Keep your insurance premiums paid because if they can't pick the lock they will find another way in "

I operate under the theory that one only insures what one can't afford to replace, and my 91S13 is affordable. In fact, when I was fulltiming, I worked under the assumption that I might have to walk away from the entire rig because it went over a cliff or something like that (hopefully without me in it; there is no insurance to replace me!). A brand new truck or trailer might be a different plan....

I AM considering, however, replacing the Schlage lock on the front door of my home with something, perhaps a combination lock so I have one less key to carry.