Loner or grouper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
I'm obviously the odd-woman out! I am a people person and recharge my batteries by being in groups! I've been camping by myself (with the dog), but I find it to be a bit lonely, especially in the evening. I'm fine just going with my son, but I really enjoy it when several RV's/Tents or more go together. I love group campouts and rallys! I have two group campouts and one rally on the calendar between President's Weekend (Ladies Only Egg Get-Together at Madonna County Park in CA) and Mother's Day (San Antonio Lake Rally-CA) and a third group one in the making. Four in three months--not bad! No plans yet for June--anyone got any ideas???? Oh wait, you're all loners, you're not the ones to ask!

Old 01-30-2009, 12:45 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I am with Karalyn and Lisa, I like camping with others. I just like the whole groupee/grouper thing. We camped a lot when I was young, like every weekend durning the spring, summer and fall with a few times thru out the winter. Always with loads of family and friends. Dh and I camp pretty much the same way. Robin

Old 01-30-2009, 01:04 AM   #17

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I like to be in my own camper at night by myself to relax and sleep, but still want to camp with others around that I know.
That reminds me of when I used to do a lot of kayaking, and one thing I loved about it. My own boat, to paddle as I saw fit, and yet also a group of like-minded friends alongside in their own boats. We tended to camp the same way (the rivers were remote); in a group, but of small/single tents and such.

I found that very enjoyable. If I need to choose between one extreme or another, I'll probably go "loner," but the above scenario was really fun.

Raya
Old 01-30-2009, 05:21 AM   #18

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
My wife calls me a people person and I guess I am but I know what I like and do not like.
There are parties I HATE to go to because I know the people who will be there and when I go I can not wait to go home.
The wife and I do not drink, and some people even though they're adults act like kids when they get a few drinks in them and that is anoying.
As far as camping I like going with just one other party.
It makes for some conversation and a few laughs.
The wife is a total loner.
She like to be able to eat, or sleep of just do nothing when she wants to and not be disturbed.
Maybe it is all job related.
She deals with the public every day in high stress situations.
I don't so I have a different outlook at the public
Gerry
Old 01-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #19

Name: JerryPEI
Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Quote:
My wife calls me a people person and I guess I am but I know what I like and do not like.
There are parties I HATE to go to because I know the people who will be there and when I go I can not wait to go home.
The wife and I do not drink, and some people even though they're adults act like kids when they get a few drinks in them and that is anoying.
As far as camping I like going with just one other party.
It makes for some conversation and a few laughs.
The wife is a total loner.
She like to be able to eat, or sleep of just do nothing when she wants to and not be disturbed.
Maybe it is all job related.
She deals with the public every day in high stress situations.
I don't so I have a different outlook at the public
Gerry

Wooh.....!!!! I know what you mean. Sounds like my wife and I. My name is also Jerry.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #20

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
I go trailering with a group of retired teachers sometimes....
I'm not going to intimate if I'm a "loner" or a "grouper" but on another matter you reminded me of what I had heard about Teachers...

I heard they make great lovers... they make you do it over until you get it right...

ConwayBob
Old 01-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #21

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I too, charge my psychological batteries alone. But I also charge them up in groups.
[b]I don’t fly.

This is part of why I am such an enthusiastic trailerite. Not unlike the trials of ascending to the status of Shellback while in the U.S. Navy, air travel today is an intense test of endurance for the privilege of being transported, like cargo, to some other place. Trailering harkens back to an earlier era, when the journey mattered every bit as much as the destination… or at least it does for me. While many rail against driving as “Sailing from Tedium to Apathy, and Back Again,” I celebrate my time behind the wheel.

Driving is my “alone recharging” time. With Robert in the car with me, we are like a captive audience for our own conversations. On long trips, we rediscover who we are. Rallies and Gatherings are my “group recharging” time. While logging in to this website is like a trickle charge, meeting many of you at Bandon, or Lake Casitas, or Lake San Antonio, or Quartzite is the high-voltage stuff!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:41 PM   #22

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I am more like an eel than a grouper. I hide in my hole and slither out when something interests me.

I spend most of my time camping alone, locally. I get my enjoyment of other people while on walks with my herd. Two, now THREE Beagles on a tandem/triple leash brings folks out of the woodwork. So does the trailer itself. These are brief but frequent encounters.

I have a low "company" threshold, and my limit is about 2 hours before I get antsy to recharge. At work, or at other peoples homes, I could get a quicky recharge by going out and having a cigarette as an excuse. Since I no longer smoke, it's weird, one must find a more socially acceptable way to excuse yourself for a few minutes. Folks socially accept "going for a smoke", but not, "excuse me, I must get out for a few before I explode".

So... no, camping alone does not bother me in the slightest, I do it all the time. I do not let the lack of prospect for a companion stop me, nor does it effect my enjoyment, one way or another.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:12 AM   #23

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
At work, or at other peoples homes, I could get a quicky recharge by going out and having a cigarette as an excuse. Since I no longer smoke, it's weird, one must find a more socially acceptable way to excuse yourself for a few minutes. Folks socially accept "going for a smoke", but not, "excuse me, I must get out for a few before I explode".

If it helps, a nurse that worked in the same building as me a while back used to call "going out for a smoke" respiratory therapy. She'd stick her head in the door and ask if I wanted to join her for some "respiratory therapy".

As for the Loner vs Grouper ... I lean towards the loner side. Small groups where you can actually carry on a conversation are much preferred over the large groups. That might have something to do with living in a big city and wanting to "get away from it all".
Old 01-31-2009, 02:12 AM   #24

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Isn't that true about cigarette breaks? I've never smoked, but I've had a couple of high stress jobs where I worked with smokers, and I really envied them that ten minutes an hour to just go outside and breathe deeply. Totally acceptable, whereas if I had said "I'd just like to stare into space and do nothing for ten minutes per hour to recharge my brain," they'd have looked at me like a space martian. Practically made me want to take up smoking.

Frederick, I'm with you on driving vs. flying. I didn't fly at all for years, and do precious little of it now. I absolutely won't fly if it's someplace I can get to by car or boat. And yes, that driving time is wonderful for thoughts, conversation, or really listening to music. I now live about a block from work, so I walk, and I kind of miss that morning drive for that very reason.

But a road trip is the best. Especially if you drive at night, when the car is your world

I can't wait to get out and do some trailering. A lot of driving and then social contact with my own pod to retreat to. Perfect.

Raya
Old 01-31-2009, 04:08 AM   #25

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

Being all alone in the wilderness may be fun, but you have to be very careful. An accident that would be a minor annoyance in a group setting, could be fatal when one is by oneself. I am thinking of the fellow who got his arm trapped when a rock shifted and ended up having to amputate it himself with a pocket knife.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #26

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Being all alone in the wilderness may be fun, but you have to be very careful. An accident that would be a minor annoyance in a group setting, could be fatal when one is by oneself. I am thinking of the fellow who got his arm trapped when a rock shifted and ended up having to amputate it himself with a pocket knife.
Indeed you are right Roger there is risk. Heck there is risk in everything though.. even driving to get there. The guy who cut his arm off was a high risk taker being way out in canyonlands hiking by himself. The year before he was out by himself and got caught in a snow avalanche. He was risk taker.
For myself I don't set up too far off the main road and I never go hiking by myself... and I have a CB and a cell phone.
Which reminds me. If ever you get way out in the boonies on BLM land it will probably have grazing leases and the ranchers will mark the places where they have cell access. Like at the top of a rise. Look for those little piles of rocks, whatever they are called.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:19 AM   #27

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
North Dakota
Quote:
I am more like an eel than a grouper. I hide in my hole and slither out when something interests me.
That's such a great image! I love it!
Old 01-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Sirit Deluxe
Laura and I are always together. But as a couple we prefer to be loners out camping. We try to find the most remote spots where we do not have to see anyone else. We also hike as a couple as far from others as possible.
We are not anti-social as we do have lots of friends and we do have get togethers at our home.