Long Term Planning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-30-2006, 02:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
As I am getting ready for retirement (21 months and counting) it occurs to me that the one thing that I wish I could have on my travels is a universal library card. Yes, I have the lap top, but it is hard to cuddle up in bed with a good laptop and a box of chocolates. Keyboard gets all sticky, don't ya know

It would be great to be able to stop an any small town library and check out a few books while I camp a day or two (or more) in their area.

How do you handle your reading needs while on the road?
Judy N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 MKP Grandesse T (made in Denmark)
i sign out a dozen or so books & tapes etc from my local library and pay the fines when i return!
Denise K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:45 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
As I am getting ready for retirement (21 months and counting) it occurs to me that the one thing that I wish I could have on my travels is a universal library card. Yes, I have the lap top, but it is hard to cuddle up in bed with a good laptop and a box of chocolates. Keyboard gets all sticky, don't ya know

It would be great to be able to stop an any small town library and check out a few books while I camp a day or two (or more) in their area.

I find that I can read a lot of books via my PDA. I have a Palm TX with a couple dozen books on it. It's small enough to lay in bed and read. I can carry thousands of book in the palm of my hand.

Since it has it's own backlight you don't need to have anyother light on. You can buy the electronic book a lot cheaper than a paper book. Some places have free electronic books too.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 1300 Trillium
Our library has a vacation exemption. Just tell them how long you'll be gone and they check them out till then. Some libraries have free/exchange piles. If I run short I find a used book store. I like your idea of a national library card. Hard to make that work, tho.
Maggie O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:59 PM   #5

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Quote:

We always take too many books along---but we also use book exchanges when we find them and used book stores.

Happy retirement----soon
Diane
jdtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:06 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Judy, and three cheers for your upcoming retirement! You will LOVE being a member of the "No Agenda" club, staying extra days at that new camping spot you discover, hiking new trails, taking a class you just found out about, exploring a new museum for an extra day, or just hanging out according to YOUR schedule!

I LOVE books & reading - however, DH has wisely limited my stash in the Egg due to weight concerns, so I've been doing great with book exchanges and/or yard sales as we go along. RV parks and even some gov't campgrounds have exchanges, usually managed by the Host. I enjoy this approach - take one, leave one and never overload our trailer (at least not with books ).

We wish you joy in your retirement and many, many happy trails. Hope to see ya out 'n about one of these days! L 'n D
Old 06-30-2006, 04:34 PM   #7

Registry
I looked at this a couple years ago. I just now remembered it. Bookcrossing is another atlernative.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Library cards that are good all over: The province of British Columbia is starting that, I believe.

But I love the Bookcrossing thing, (it's like Acts of Random Kindness, but you can trace your book online).

I love used book stores. Best thing about rolling into a town you've never been in before is finding a Used Book store: treasure! MAD magazine paperbook from 1960s two summers ago, my 9-year-old and I fought over who got to read it first! Camping time is Sharing time! (Now hand it over!)
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:54 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Aside from the LeaveOne-TakeOne sources at CGs, I keep my eyes peeled for library book sales and garage sales -- One can pack away a lot of paperbacks for rainy weather.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote