Looked at a Casita today.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #1

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Looked at a Casita today....

So this morning I went and looked at a restored Casita. I did not buy it....there were two things I couldn't get past. The first was a weird kind of chemically smell that they couldn't say for sure where it was coming from. The other was a soft spot in the middle of the floor. The owners had put down laminate flooring (which was bubbling on the back edge), but if I stood on that edge, there were a couple really soft spots in the floor. Can Casita floors rot like that? I feel like I probably should have purchased it as it was an OK price and was totally re-done, but I didn't want to deal with rot and a smell I couldn't identify...any input?
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggless View Post
So this morning I went and looked at a restored Casita. I did not buy it....there were two things I couldn't get past. The first was a weird kind of chemically smell that they couldn't say for sure where it was coming from. The other was a soft spot in the middle of the floor. The owners had put down laminate flooring (which was bubbling on the back edge), but if I stood on that edge, there were a couple really soft spots in the floor. Can Casita floors rot like that? I feel like I probably should have purchased it as it was an OK price and was totally re-done, but I didn't want to deal with rot and a smell I couldn't identify...any input?
Bubbled flooring indicates a long ignored leak to me; Casitas do have wooden subfloors that although sealed, can get wetted once holes for nails/screws happen. Maybe that's also the source of the smell? I'd be leery of this one but with the right price I'd be willing to refloor it.
Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #3

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD
Duluth,Minnesota
It would have to be a REALLY good price before I would think about buying anything with a soft floor- you would be in for a lot of work tearing everything out to replace the floor and that weird smell would scare me! I would wait for something I felt comfortable buying...
Randy Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
If it's this one , I would pass on buying it. 2001 casita spirit 17' camper- customized
2001 casita spirit 17' camper- customized - $11900 (Zumbrota MN)

I bought a 1999 Casita 17' in March of 2012 for 42% less than what they are asking for this one.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #5

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
It isn't that one....that one is way too high priced for my budget....if I wanted to spend that much, I'd just shell out for a new one....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita