Looked at my first 13 Scamp today - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We don't sit around inside much. About an hour at the dinette playing cards before bed is it. I can not sit there for long stretches. First thing we did was take out the front bunks. I redid that with nice comfy foam and memory foam. It is a comfortable place for me to curl up with a book. Much better than trying to sit at the dinette (I am short and I need a booster under my feet, that has helped). I can not sit in the front with my feet reaching the floor either. But this problem I have everywhere.

Sitting around at camp sites isn't our thing. I need to be doing something. When the time comes and our bodies won't do stuff we will probably give up "camping". Since we live on a lake with great views from our windows, and lots of wildlife to watch it won't be a big problem to not camp.

I agree Jim, I wouldn't want to sit around inside a 13 Scamp. I can't see that a 16 Scamp would be all that much different. The 13 has that large area in the middle for moving past another person. The 16 feels more cramped to me.

Nancy

Old 04-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Honda Element
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

As I type, a hitch is being installed on my E... although I may have to re-visit the electrical connection.

I showed the trailer hitch guy, the 7-pin connector diagram from the Scamp manual (I found on this website), and he thought it was 'probably' incorrect, that they should be blade rather than pin connectors ("90% of trailers use 'this' connector"). Does the Scamp connector truly have 7 round pins? I guess it's not a huge deal... as I googled and found a 7-pin round TO 7-pin 'blade' adapter... or worst case, I cut the connector I got off, and attach a round pin one.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Does the Scamp connector truly have 7 round pins?
The old style were pins, new style are blades. If you need more validation, see this link straight to the Scamp site (at the bottom of the page): Plug Type: Bargman 6-spade, with center pin
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Honda Element
Thanks. Anyone know approximately when they switched to the new blade style?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #19

Trailer: 2007 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Jeep Liberty Renagade V6
thanks! this topic answer any question I had about what options I should have on my scamp. I've though about ordering the custom 13' with a toilet & shower. Then adding a fridge, a/c & furnace when I got it. Has anyone else done this?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #20

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Ted, having replaced all of the above at one time or another, I would seriously recommend just having them installed at the factory during the build. You'll have them; they won't cost any more than buying them later; and you'll save yourself a whole bunch of aggravation trying to cut holes in the right locations of the proper size, and trying to run LP lines and wiring after the trailer is built. That's not to say it can't be done... I just wouldn't want to have to do it!

I'm reasonably sure that Scamp builds all their trailers with reinforced roofs to handle the weight of an A/C, but if you don't have a unit installed, make sure it's pre-wired and the appropriate reinforcing built in to handle the weight.

Roger
Old 04-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #21

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Thanks. Anyone know approximately when they switched to the new blade style?
Actually, the seven pole "Bargman" style connectors became the defacto standard sometime during the mid-'90s. The seven-pole connector with all round pins is a truck connector commonly used on 18 wheel semis and is still available through truck supply houses and at most truck stops.

The round six-pin connector is still in common use.

Scamp, being a custom manufacturer, will supply pretty much whatever connector you specify on a new trailer, so while most of them are now (and have been for the past several years) shipped with the "Bargman" style connector, there's no guarantee that any specific trailer you look at will be so equipped.

Roger
Old 04-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #22

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
... or worst case, I cut the connector I got off, and attach a round pin one.
If by some chance the Scamp comes with a connector with seven round pins, I suggest replacing it (the trailer connector) with a "Bargman" or "RV" or "flat pin / blade" style connector. The "trailer hitch guy" is right - this is the common setup, and the only one appropriate for use with electric trailer brakes. It would be far more useful for the tow vehicle to be set up with the RV connector than a mis-application of the round-pin commercial connector, and far more likely that an alternate tow vehicle could readily pull the Scamp if it has the RV connector.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp