Looking at a 13' Scamp tomorrow - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Kristen Beck Send a message via Yahoo to Kristen Beck
Hi Cindy,
I winced when you said balpeen hammer, so sad. People are heartless aren't they! The show you went to "migrain on steroids" we can relate. Here in Southern Oregon if your bug isn't thumping, don't bother going. People don't appreciate the stock beauties like they used to anymore, it's all about the stereo and airbags. We prefer the old school stock. You know, your lucky if you don't have to crank start it! Well we have good news, went to Salem and purchased ourselves an easter egg! It's great! So cute I can hardly stand it, although trailer salesmen leave something to be desired. They were a little insulting. I questioned whether we needed the electric break converter to take it home, thinking we would just get it in Medford. This guy said, If you can't afford the converter you shouldn't be buying the trailer. I looked at him with my most insulted glare and said, trust me the money is not a problem. He wasn't our salesman he was just the owner of the joint. Our salesman was really very nice, unfortunatley not very knowledgeable about scamps. As my sister said, the manditory walk through and instruction appt. should be filled with lots of "usefull" information. He didn't know the bunks turned into a couch, it was a learning experience for us all! But I'm thrilled with it. We get to take it home on Friday the 13th, should be fun, sister might go with me. Hope you all have a really wonderful Easter, I will upload some photos of our little bubbles soon. chat later,

Kris and Neal

Old 04-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #16

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Congratulations!

What are they doing to it that you can't take it home right away?

Bobbie

Old 04-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #17

Registry
Well,
It has automatic breaks on the trailer and we don't have a converter. They didn't know it had the automatic breaks plus the technicians that take through the "walk through" and set up process, for safety reasons, don't work on saturdays so I have to go back up next friday and get the low down on set up, how to use propane and how to tow it. Never have done it before, should be very interesting. Plus i need to get the converter thing for my Honda eliment. I hate having to wait a week but safety first. We were actually very pleasantly surprised to find out it had the power breaks on the trailer and also an automatic hitch up and down switch. No cranking here! that thousand pounds would just do me in, ha ha ha! It was owned by an older gentleman, I guess the hitch thing kind of proves that. Really just a total gem, beautifully maintained and still has that new trailer smell.

kris and Neal
Old 04-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #18

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
congrats on getting the trailer!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Kris,

By "converter" do you mean something like the Prodigy Tekonsha Brake Controller and the Bargman Style 7 way connector?

We aren't the type to do things ourselves so we had to take our Honda to the dealership with the Prodigy controller and had them do all the wiring for us. Glad we did as there is new equipment under the hood that wasn't there before (maybe a fuse or something). Also I am sure we have the right gauge wire installed too. They did a much better job than we were able to do on our own. Too bad the Honda doesn't come ready to wire.

Patrick did his own I think, so if you have Element questions get his advice. I don't know if he also needed the transmission cooler or not. We had that installed also in our Odyssey.

Sorry if others have responded and this is a repeat. Have been having trouble with fiberglassrv lately.

Nancy
Old 04-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #20

Registry
Hi nancy,
I called out local U-hual and they have the converter you mentioned, the prodigy.
We are going to see what the directions say about installation and if it is beyond our scope we will take it to the professionals. The RV place did mention the transmission cooler, I will have to check into that too. How does your honda do pulling your trailer. I said to neal, I will be thrilled if I can go up a hill doing 45, he said it will do fine. We have some fun hills here in oregon. I don't plan on pushing Little sparky(our element) beyond her capabilities so i'm sure it will be fine. We ran into a couple in sequim washington who said you could not even tell they were pulling a trailer, it did just beautifully. I just want it in my driveway. Neal has threatened to park it on the front lawn at christmas time and decorate it with christmas lights, I said only if we can hook the light up deer to the front so it looks like they are pulling it. He agreed to my deer idea, it should really make the neighbors happy! Good thing we have a pretty good group of neighbors. Well we are off to u-haul and then a lovely easter dinner with the family, did you catch the sarcasm!! I think neal just made a growl sound. ha ha ha ha got to love the the holidays! Have a good day and thanks so much for the prodigy advice, we neeed all we can get being new to the rv world.

Thanks again,

kris and Neal
Nancy
Old 04-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #21

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
So where are the pictures of your Easter Egg, Kristen?

Bobbie
Old 04-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #22

Kris,

We have the Odyssey with a tow rating of 3500 pounds. We also have a Scamp that is a few hundred pounds lighter than the one you are getting. Our tow experience will not be the same as yours.

I tried to find the Dexter link that Pete put up somewhere that gave such excellent advice on electric brakes and adjusting the trailer brakes. I printed it off and there was no url on the pages. When I went to look for it for you I could not find the right place. The Dexter site is a bit difficult to work around. I found bits and pieces of the pages I have printed but not that whole, very informative, part. I tried the helpful links and document center here but they weren't working. Check that area to see if it is working, maybe that is where I got my info from.

If you are on the Scamp Yahoo forum you can also look at the links, files, whatever to look for information about batteries, the bargman connector, axles, etc.

Hope you can come to the Jul Oregon gathering, need to get on a waiting list.

Nancy
Old 04-08-2007, 06:24 PM   #23

Kris,

Use the search engine and look for posts about the Element. You should run into lots of stuff others have said and Patrick is the one with the Element and trailer most like yours.

Nancy
Old 04-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #24

Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00135.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	7171
So where are the pictures of your Easter Egg, Kristen?

Bobbie[/quote]

hey bobbie,
I have a picture of the fiberget egg and Little sparky(element)under my profile. I had to get help in getting on there, it was too big had to adjust the size a bit. Hope to get lots more as soon as we get her home. Next friday is the big day, i'm so excited. I think I might sleep in it friday night!

kris
Old 04-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #25

Kris,

I finally found what I think would be a big help to you. Make a hard copy of pages 4-22 because if you are like me you will never find it again.

Go to dexteraxel.com

Then go to products.

Under products find Trailer Axles (Service Information)

Under 600-8K Capacities select Complete Service Manual

The part you need to pay attention to are pages 4-22 for now. Also has info regarding wheel bearings for later learning. The above pages will tell you what you need to know about wiring up that Brake Controller and adjusting the brakes when they need it. We had quite a time adjusting ours.

I can't give you a link to the Complete Service Manual as it is an Adobe download.

Nancy

Tags
scamp