Looking at a burro... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #15

Name: Cory
Trailer: Burro
Tennessee
Comments on Camper

Hi, no problems with the profile comment. I'm not real computer savvy either. I'm also no expert. I have had a Burro and a U-Haul and I like to tinker. I'm doing a full resto on one right now.

Things are only worth what someone is willing to spend. The seller may get $2,500 on the internet? These campers are pretty hard to find and very popular. $4,000 - $5,000 + is pretty common for one in fair, usable shape.

Assuming a few things, by reading your post, I'd say you will need to do a lot of work. I can almost guarantee the floor needs to be replaced. If you are going to replace the floor, might as well address the frame weakness issues, if your gonna do that, might as well replace the axle .... See where I'm going. It never ends.

Depends on how bad you want one of these, how nice you want it to be and how much work you are willing to put in. Almost everything is fixable with common parts and materials, no matter how bad a shape the camper is.

I think $2,500 is pretty high based on the condition. However, in a couple of years, I bet you wish you could find one for that. Might cost you $4,000 ish in parts to restore completely (a lot of things can influence this #). After a nice restore, It should be worth $8,000 - $9,000 or more. Forgot to mention, be sure he has a Title, I would not do anything without a Title.

A lot of things to consider. I think it is safe to say that you are in for some work & $ if you buy this (if you want to make is safe and reasonably nice).

Good luck. Let me know if this does not help. Take care.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #16

Name: E
Trailer: Aliner
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Wells View Post
I can almost guarantee the floor needs to be replaced. If you are going to replace the floor, might as well address the frame weakness issues, if your gonna do that, might as well replace the axle .... See where I'm going. It never ends.Good luck. Let me know if this does not help. Take care.
This is very helpful. I am somewhat handy but I am a single gal. If the floor cannot be replaced in pieces - ie the camper must be completely removed from the frame I surely cannot do that.

I am sure the axle is original and would need replacing + tires + bearings/wheels refinished.

Didn't know there were inherent frame weakness issues. Same with my aliner. Can't put a bike on the back.

I suspect it is already sold! But I will make them another not quite so low ball offer and plan on picking on it over the next few years until I am retired and can travel more. If they don't bite then that's cool. I would love a scamp but the carpet walls are a little freaky to me- it would have to be newer or restored. I wonder if there is a carpet replacement kit for scamps? I have a friend with a scamp for sale (if she still has it) but it has had leaks and needs tons of work.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #17

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
E, Scamp does not use carpet on the walls, but Casita does. Scamp uses Marine headliner designed to resist absorbing odors, mildew, or stains. Scamp will put new headliner in for a price, or you could purchase reflectix insulation & marine headliner by the yard and do it your self.
Dave & Paula
Old 02-18-2017, 06:02 PM   #18

Georgia
If you do fiberglass repair is it possible for it to blend completely?

Couldn't I just fix the rotten spots without doing the whole floor? Ie scrape away the rotten wood, put in a patch and or use hardeners?

We crawled underneath - only bad spots were behind wheel wells and at doorway.

I did notice that the door gap at the bottom was too wide, is it supposed to fit tightly?
Old 02-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #19

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
E, Scamp does not use carpet on the walls, but Casita does. Scamp uses Marine headliner designed to resist absorbing odors, mildew, or stains. Scamp will put new headliner in for a price, or you could purchase reflectix insulation & marine headliner by the yard and do it your self.

Dave & Paula

Thanks! I did not realize that. Perhaps it would not be that terrible to fix. Pretty sure her leak issue was either the vent was left open or needed to be resealed. I like the wood in the scamp - and the built in cassette player
Old 02-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1982 Burro
Minnesota
Registry
E.- That Burro sounds like what I thought I was getting into when I found mine. Instead, it turned out to be in great condition, only needing polishing and windows sealed.
If you like to do the work, it would be a good one to start with, at an attainable price. As Cory related, be ready to work and spend $$ to do the job right.
Fiberglass can be repaired fairly easily, and blend in well. Get the running gear sorted, and fix the bad spots in the floor. You can cover the rest, until you get ready to fix it. I like the Burros better than the Scamps!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #21

Georgia
And...it's gone not surprised prob a good one for someone that was comfy making the leap
Old 02-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #22

Name: Gregg
Trailer: 1985 Burro 13ft.
Arizona
80 Burro

I don't know if you are still in the area, but I have an 82 Burro IN my garage WITH rooftop air on it . You are welcome to take a look aT IT. I'M IOCATED IN FORT MOHAVE, just upriver from Havasu Az.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #23

Georgia
Oh I'm in Georgia. Thanks!
Soooo bummed feeling like I should have bought it!

Tags
burro