Looking at a burro... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #1

Name: E
Trailer: Aliner
Georgia
Looking at a burro...

Hi all,
I sure don't need it but I am looking at a burro this weekend (hopefully!)
I have an aliner but a scamp has always been my "dream" retirement camper. I'm not retired, but hey this looks like a great deal.

What are the differences/similarities with the two brands?

I do t know much yet. Pics look really good, perhaps some surface crackling at the top corners? Could be the photo.

There is a window ac unit in the front window. Is that a problem? I will need ac, so it has to go somewhere.

Will a burro fit in a standard garage?

Decent price for a 1980 burro? 13' I believe.
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Burros ?

[QUOTE=Yarnstormer;627796]Hi all,
I have an aliner but a scamp has always been my "dream" retirement camper. I'm not retired, but hey this looks like a great deal.

Coming back from the Quartzsite Fiberglas Rally on Tuesday I ran across these burros in Oatman, AZ, where they run wild in the streets and in the surrounding countryside. They come in various sizes, their covering is something like the ratfur in Scamps and they will fit in a standard size garage. I'm sure some more knowlegable folks will come on with with info about other burros. David in Fresno and Sonora
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5141.jpg   IMG_5143.jpg  

IMG_5189.jpg  
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:10 AM   #3

Georgia
[QUOTE=DavidG;627805]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnstormer View Post
Hi all,

Coming back from the Quartzsite Fiberglas Rally on Tuesday I ran across these burros in Oatman, AZ, where they run wild in the streets and in the surrounding countryside. They come in various sizes, their covering is something like the ratfur in Scamps and they will fit in a standard size garage. I'm sure some more knowlegable folks will come on with with info about other burros. David in Fresno and Sonora
lol. helpful. thanks.

here I am up madly all night long researching! Where are the experts??? What about the window unit hanging in the front window?? it is supported by a metal post that appears to be bolted to the frame. And there may be some duct tape...
If I decide to restore is there a less conspicuous ac option?
Old 02-18-2017, 12:35 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I know nothing about Burros, but there are previous discussions on Burro and on air conditioning.
I suggest you do a search ( top of this page ) and start reading.
If you enter your search words in the second Google Site Search box, you will have more success.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 10.32.50 PM.png  
Old 02-18-2017, 06:32 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Biggest difference is the Burro- that's with a capital "B," the molded fiberglass kind - is a double hull design with a vertical seam. The outer shell is molded in left and right sections, rather than top and bottom. The interior is also two large pieces, left and right, with walls and cabinets molded in. From what I've read there may or may not be a layer of insulation between the outer and inner shells. You should be able to tell by looking inside cabinets.

Some were sold as finished trailers; some as DIY kits.

The big advantage is no rivets. It also permits some nicer shaping of the fiberglass, such as the taillight housings. The disadvantage is repairs and modifications involve large pieces of fiberglass. You can't swap out individual components like a Scamp. The walls are smooth fiberglass, rather than Scamp's rat fur- that's a matter of preference.

Like Scamp, a Burro has a wood floor, which can rot if windows and other shell openings aren't maintained.

A/C is the front is ugly, to be sure, but if adequately sealed and braced, it ought to be functional. I'm not sure how else you might add A/C. The usual choices involve a small window unit mounted permanently in a cabinet (tricky to get right), mounted permanently through a window (with adequate bracing), or mounted temporarily in a window (removed for towing). I've also seen portable units that sit outside with hoses going through the shell or a window. I don't recall ever seeing any roof A/C mods on a Burro. Glenn's suggestion of a search is good.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Look at the modification forum
Under Baja burrito rebuil
I think the guys name is Corey wells
He has among other posts a great write-up
Maybe a pm to him would help answer your questions ( click on his name)

Good luck
Keep us posted if you buy and post pics this forum is great resource
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #7

Georgia
Ok! Burro report! I looked at it this morning. Highlights are:
Soft spots at doorway and wheel wells
Diy with no vin, I don't think there is insulation
Wetness under cushions. Windows are probably leaking either due to seal around them or the fact that even when closed they are not closing all the way.
Been sitting for years, tires are trashed - would have to haul it home.
I assume it needs new axle as well.
Window with ac is just open, not removed, so thats good.

Current owner has been using as a playhouse, and ran an extension cord to run ac. I plugged in camper to power and inside elec worked, I did not test outside towing lights.

Squirrels have set up residence under one seat, could not tell where they were coming in.

One taillight broken, one sidelight broken. Lots of hairline cracks in fiberglass and large area on roof that has fibers showing from previous repair. Evidence of fiberglas repair around windows.
Door needs gaskets. Bunk bed is missing, but holes are there to indicate it existed. Original upholstery. Squirrelly tho I imagine!

Logo peeling. No evidence of frame repairs that I could see. Lots of rust. Front jack worked, did not test rear stabilizers.

The spare was very close to the body of the trailer, is that common? Also had a nest in it!

Carpet in ceiling has some mold, assume the two halves need resealing? Some rust on exterior where the trim has rusted. The vent trim is missing I assume it has leaked over the years tho it was not wet lime the back seat was.

I made a very lowball offer. They have had lots of interest of course so prob can get more due to recent glamping fad.

What's it worth? Anyone? I'm not sure this one isn't a little too much work for me esp since I don't have a covered area. Very cute tho. Seemed even smaller than the scamp.

One very cool thing. She had the original manual and the xerox copies of the original hand drawn assembly instructions. Very interesting!
Old 02-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Pics might help
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #9

Georgia
https://flickr.com/photos/14985911@N...57676990265593

Ask and ye shall receive!
Old 02-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #10

Georgia
I'm a newbie so we have to wait til a moderator makes sure my post is cool. The pics are in my flickr album
knitinyourpants if you want to hunt them up.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #11

Georgia
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4281.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	103071Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4274.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	103072
Old 02-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #12

Georgia

Name:	IMG_4255.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	103073
Name:   IMG_4253.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  52.4 KB

Name:	IMG_4270.JPG
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	103075Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4264.JPG
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	103076Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4259.JPG
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	103077Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4276.JPG
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	103078Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4273.JPG
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	103079Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4267.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	103080Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4263.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	103081Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4278.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	103082
Old 02-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #13

Georgia

Name:	IMG_4261.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	103083Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4260.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	103084
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4268.JPG  
Old 02-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #14

Georgia

Name:	IMG_4256.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	103086
Vertical Cracks in front of trailer at corner top to bottom not sure if you can see in this photo
Old 02-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #15

Name: Cory
Trailer: Burro
Tennessee
Comments on Camper

Hi, no problems with the profile comment. I'm not real computer savvy either. I'm also no expert. I have had a Burro and a U-Haul and I like to tinker. I'm doing a full resto on one right now.

Things are only worth what someone is willing to spend. The seller may get $2,500 on the internet? These campers are pretty hard to find and very popular. $4,000 - $5,000 + is pretty common for one in fair, usable shape.

Assuming a few things, by reading your post, I'd say you will need to do a lot of work. I can almost guarantee the floor needs to be replaced. If you are going to replace the floor, might as well address the frame weakness issues, if your gonna do that, might as well replace the axle .... See where I'm going. It never ends.

Depends on how bad you want one of these, how nice you want it to be and how much work you are willing to put in. Almost everything is fixable with common parts and materials, no matter how bad a shape the camper is.

I think $2,500 is pretty high based on the condition. However, in a couple of years, I bet you wish you could find one for that. Might cost you $4,000 ish in parts to restore completely (a lot of things can influence this #). After a nice restore, It should be worth $8,000 - $9,000 or more. Forgot to mention, be sure he has a Title, I would not do anything without a Title.

A lot of things to consider. I think it is safe to say that you are in for some work & $ if you buy this (if you want to make is safe and reasonably nice).

Good luck. Let me know if this does not help. Take care.
Scoboatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #16

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Wells View Post
I can almost guarantee the floor needs to be replaced. If you are going to replace the floor, might as well address the frame weakness issues, if your gonna do that, might as well replace the axle .... See where I'm going. It never ends.Good luck. Let me know if this does not help. Take care.
This is very helpful. I am somewhat handy but I am a single gal. If the floor cannot be replaced in pieces - ie the camper must be completely removed from the frame I surely cannot do that.

I am sure the axle is original and would need replacing + tires + bearings/wheels refinished.

Didn't know there were inherent frame weakness issues. Same with my aliner. Can't put a bike on the back.

I suspect it is already sold! But I will make them another not quite so low ball offer and plan on picking on it over the next few years until I am retired and can travel more. If they don't bite then that's cool. I would love a scamp but the carpet walls are a little freaky to me- it would have to be newer or restored. I wonder if there is a carpet replacement kit for scamps? I have a friend with a scamp for sale (if she still has it) but it has had leaks and needs tons of work.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:46 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
E, Scamp does not use carpet on the walls, but Casita does. Scamp uses Marine headliner designed to resist absorbing odors, mildew, or stains. Scamp will put new headliner in for a price, or you could purchase reflectix insulation & marine headliner by the yard and do it your self.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #18

Georgia
If you do fiberglass repair is it possible for it to blend completely?

Couldn't I just fix the rotten spots without doing the whole floor? Ie scrape away the rotten wood, put in a patch and or use hardeners?

We crawled underneath - only bad spots were behind wheel wells and at doorway.

I did notice that the door gap at the bottom was too wide, is it supposed to fit tightly?
Old 02-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #19

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
E, Scamp does not use carpet on the walls, but Casita does. Scamp uses Marine headliner designed to resist absorbing odors, mildew, or stains. Scamp will put new headliner in for a price, or you could purchase reflectix insulation & marine headliner by the yard and do it your self.

Dave & Paula

Thanks! I did not realize that. Perhaps it would not be that terrible to fix. Pretty sure her leak issue was either the vent was left open or needed to be resealed. I like the wood in the scamp - and the built in cassette player
Old 02-18-2017, 07:28 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1982 Burro
Minnesota
Registry
E.- That Burro sounds like what I thought I was getting into when I found mine. Instead, it turned out to be in great condition, only needing polishing and windows sealed.
If you like to do the work, it would be a good one to start with, at an attainable price. As Cory related, be ready to work and spend $$ to do the job right.
Fiberglass can be repaired fairly easily, and blend in well. Get the running gear sorted, and fix the bad spots in the floor. You can cover the rest, until you get ready to fix it. I like the Burros better than the Scamps!

Tags
burro