Looking for a Cabin in the Woods (and selling my PL) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-24-2015, 07:07 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Recreation property is a great investment, if it is waterfront ( not including a river that floods ). I paid $13,900 for my quarter acre and sold it several years later, after making improvements and paying water and property taxes, for $8,900.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:41 PM   #22

Name: Linda
Trailer: Hunter
California
Have you check out an Earthship Home, totally self-contained, built out of tires, cans and bottles. They collect water from the sky (no Well), have indoor gardens that grow food from a grey water system. good luck on your next adventure.
Homeofmyown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:03 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeofmyown View Post
Have you check out an Earthship Home
Saw a documentary on one such the other day on CBC TV.
They spent around $250,000 building the house initially and then had to spend more to add auxiliary heat ( they were in Manitoba, with winter temps at minus 40 ).
It was not cheap to build. The windows alone cost $40,000.

Link here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...uple-1.3004939

Link to short video: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ials-1.2855603
Old 04-25-2015, 06:15 AM   #24

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Best of luck to ya Deryk!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:42 AM   #25

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Ah yes, Thanks for reminding me Glenn about mountain cabin building codes and ordinances. The latest is for the state and counties to pass fire suppression steps that requires cabin owners to remove all trees and brush from within 100 feet of a structure. That means the nice shade trees next to your cabin have to be cut. If not, your homeowner's insurance will be canceled, and a nano second after that, the mortgage company will slap their own high-risk policy on the property and start foreclosing on your mortgage for not having insurance.

If you have an old mining claim, you will want to close off any mine shafts lest some moron or you decide to wander in and get killed from poisonous gases. Then there is always the chance there is a dead body or two at the bottom of the shaft from accidents or otherwise, or other types of toxic waste that was dumped in over the years. Then there is the occasional remote mining claim that was used as an auto chop shop, with the unwanted pieces and other evidence thrown over the mountain side.

I was offered a property that had been used by meth cookers and shut down by the county and feds when they spotted it from satellite photos. Had a demolished concrete building and a forfeited Cat D-9. Whoever was willing and able to drive it off the mountain got it cheap. I was told there is still an illegal well dug and buried on the site. They disguised it by burying it and marking it with broken glass so they didn't have to remove several hundred feet of pipe and then fill the entire hole in with concrete, all hand mixed. If it is ever discovered, congratulations, the new owner will be responsible for that themselves.

Then there is always the wached-out ecoterrorist nut job who decides they don't like your cabin on THEIR pristine land of unicorns and fairies, and torches it.

Btw, don't rely on the realtor will reveal these things. Noooooo, they knew nothing about THAT. You have to do your homework and know what to ask and look out for. If not, as they say, “You bought the ranch”.

Owning a Scamp is looking better all the time.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #26

Name: Linda
Trailer: Hunter
California
Earthship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Saw a documentary on one such the other day on CBC TV.
They spent around $250,000 building the house initially and then had to spend more to add auxiliary heat ( they were in Manitoba, with winter temps at minus 40 ).
It was not cheap to build. The windows alone cost $40,000.

Link here: 'Earthship' takes off-the-grid living to new level for Manitoba couple - British Columbia - CBC News

Link to short video: Manitoba home built almost exclusively with recycled materials - Manitoba - CBC News
That Earthship is a mansion, there are many other designs that are very affordable. As for the windows, they can be free from from glass companies that change out sliding glass doors. The tempered glass cannot be recycled so the glass companies are usually happy to give them away rather then paying the cost of taking them to a landfill. Almost every part of an Earthship can be built from recycled materials.
Homeofmyown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:51 AM   #27

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
You don't know me, but...

Deryk, I've only just found you through your post selling your Parkliner. I can tell by your signature that we share many interests, not the least of which is Tolkien. Be well and be blessed in your adventures. You're welcome at my fire, anytime...bill
Old 05-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #28

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Bill! I am looking for a new adventure!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Had cabin built and I finished the interior,elec,pluming, septic,water over a 10-20 yr period. In Tioga county Pa (6 acres) about 3 1/2 hrs away from me. Got old after awhile, kids were not interested. Boy races cars, girl lives in Ca, was not fun with them not there, Then i worry about when I am home, then worry about home when up there. So with a very heavy heart ,I sold it for about what cash I put into it. I then bought my Scamp which gets me out in places i never been to and my cabin is just steps away from me. Good Luck your gonna luv it. Carl
Attached Images

Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote