looking for a fiberglass camper in Washington - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #1

Name: kay
Trailer: in the market
Washington
looking for a fiberglass camper in Washington

Hi folks! I'm looking for a fiberglass camper with minimal to no aluminum interior structure. Is there such a beast? I have very debilitating electro-sensitivity and metal surfaces cause EMF radiation to ricochet and intensify. Thanks!
kelinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelinseattle View Post
Hi folks! I'm looking for a fiberglass camper with minimal to no aluminum interior structure. Is there such a beast? I have very debilitating electro-sensitivity and metal surfaces cause EMF radiation to ricochet and intensify. Thanks!

I had never heard of Electro-sensitivity or EMS as related to EMF. I did look up what WHO (World Health Organization) had to say about it. You might want to read what they say at https://www.who.int/peh-emf/publicat...acts/fs296/en/

One more not EMF means Electro Motive Force which is measured in volts. Mostly refers to DC or RMS AC.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Most molded fiberglass campers have little or no aluminum since it is not required for structural support. The required support is typically provided by wood or fiberglass dividers or cabinets.

Current non molded trailers typically have aluminum frames with fiberglass sheets.

There are metals of various sorts in the appliances of both, of course. Less than you would find in your kitchen because of smaller size.

You have come to the right place. Welcome.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #4

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
You probably want a late-model Scamp then. The interior is covered in Reflectix insulation which is foil-backed bubble wrap. All you would need to do is put metal screening over the windows and you would have a pretty nifty Faraday cage! That should prevent most EMF from penetrating to the interior.

The other way would be to get a trailer that needs the interior restored and cover the walls in metal screening before putting up any insulation or wall covering.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:21 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
I agree with Alex! If you are sensitive to EMI then it seems as though you would want to live in a Faraday cage, which shields you from exterior fields. You want to be mindful purchasing LED lighting, power supplies, computers, etc. as they all emit RFI. For example, the battery charger for my battery tools wipes out the radio when it is charging a battery! AND, Reflectix is conductive, which you can verify with an ohm meter, so be careful with loose hot wires.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
yes, best to get rid of all electrical items, they all radiate EMF. move far far away from all civilization... like in my town here, there's a AM radio station right in town broadcasting 10000 watts all day long, every day since the 1950s.

and, computers are massive sources of EMF, including their screens and CPUs.

your vehicle's ignition and fuel injection system is another source of EMF.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
yes, best to get rid of all electrical items, they all radiate EMF. move far far away from all civilization... like in my town here, there's a AM radio station right in town broadcasting 10000 watts all day long, every day since the 1950s.

and, computers are massive sources of EMF, including their screens and CPUs.

your vehicle's ignition and fuel injection system is another source of EMF.
You all missed the point. The OP wanted LIMITED aluminum. The Scamp would NOT be a good option with the foil insulation.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
You all missed the point. The OP wanted LIMITED aluminum. The Scamp would NOT be a good option with the foil insulation.
You missed the point. The OP self diagnosed a defect that scientifically has show to non-existent.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:45 PM   #9

Registry
FYI EMF = Electro Motive Force which is measured in VOLTS.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #10

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
You missed the point. The OP self diagnosed a defect that scientifically has show to non-existent.
Slow down cowboy! Just because something doesn't exist/has been scientifically disproven doesn't mean someone can't convince themselves that physiological symptoms they are experincing are due to said thing. And even those symptoms may be imagined. But if an aluminum-free camper is what will alleviate Kay's symptoms, then what's the big deal? Nobody's asking us to change our ways (yet).

The irony of a farady cage (metal by necessity) being the optimal solution for blocking EM radiation is not lost on me.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
My 1974 boler has no aluminum interior structure, trim around the table could be removed. The only real problem would be to replace the side windows which have aluminum frames and don't think I've ever seen non aluminum framed windows in a camper.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
Slow down cowboy! Just because something doesn't exist/has been scientifically disproven doesn't mean someone can't convince themselves that physiological symptoms they are experincing are due to said thing. And even those symptoms may be imagined. But if an aluminum-free camper is what will alleviate Kay's symptoms, then what's the big deal? Nobody's asking us to change our ways (yet).

The irony of a farady cage (metal by necessity) being the optimal solution for blocking EM radiation is not lost on me.
Key words in above statement are Physiological Symptoms. Which I believe to be true.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #13

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
People, we've all seen Better Call Saul...no use setting ourselves on fire over it. Sheesh. Someone wants a particular type of camper/trailer, so be it. YMMV, remember?

If you haven't seen Better Call Saul, and you can relax and enjoy the ride, it's a HOOT. And a shock. And an enlightenment. And a cry for more episodes!

Happy camping to all you out there who still camp (most of you, I hope?)

Kai the currently grounded.

OP: Kay, KelinSeattle: Why not come "visit" Peanut, the limited aluminum trailer, for an idea what such a low-aluminum thing would look like. Renton Highlands, 25 mi. SE of Seattle. Paul would be happy to give you the grand tour and tell you some trailerman's lies about the gutting and redoing process. We, too, wanted limited tech. I'm pretty sure we found a comfortable level for us.

You can, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 055.JPG  
Old 03-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
looking for a fiberglass camper in Washington

Great post, Kai!

As already said, none of the molded fiberglass trailers (as opposed to framed trailers with a fiberglass skin) have any aluminum structure. Some newer units use foil bubble wrap as an insulation layer (including Scamp, going all the way back to the late 80’s).

I’d think any vintage molded fiberglass trailer with Ensolite (closed cell foam) lining would fit the bill.

No budget or size was mentioned, nor whether you’re looking for a fully-equipped trailer (bath and full galley) or something more basic, but I’ll mention Casita, which lines their shells with foam-backed carpet, and Escape, which uses foam insulation similar to Ensolite.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #15

Mid Left Coast
note that Casitas have an aluminum C channel belly-band around the seam between the top and bottom shells. How this could possibly reflect or amplify any sort of RF is beyond my electronics engineering knowledge.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
note that Casitas have an aluminum C channel belly-band around the seam between the top and bottom shells. How this could possibly reflect or amplify any sort of RF is beyond my electronics engineering knowledge.

Casita and Scamp both have aluminum belly bands. NO they will not amplify rf. Also it's not likely they'll rebroadcast any rf even at a lower value.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #17

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Good points...had forgotten about Peanut's aluminum belly band. But it's on the outside with inches of wood inside behind it, caulked with butyl rubber inside and painted outside...it's there, but I'd actually forgotten about it, it's so low-presence.

I think if one was redoing the whole trailer (and we would do this next time) the belly band could be wooded inside and entirely fiberglassed over inside and out and leave off the mostly decorative aluminum.

Then I'd paint the lower part one color and the upper part another. THEN I'd stick on the stripes and logos.

Kathleen

"K"
Old 03-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #18

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
FYI EMF = Electro Motive Force which is measured in VOLTS.
Unless it's an Electromagnetic field, EMF, measured in Gauss.

In an insulated trailer, all of the pieces of the foil backed insulation, would have to be electrically connected to each other and grounded, to be a Faraday Cage. I doubt the foil backed insulation is grounded, but maybe.

I've found that stucco houses wrapped with chicken wire to hold it on, are pretty good Faraday cages that block radio signals.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:07 PM   #19

Mid Left Coast
an all aluminum airstream, with grounding stakes, would make a good faraday cage.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:30 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Unless it's an Electromagnetic field, EMF, measured in Gauss.

In an insulated trailer, all of the pieces of the foil backed insulation, would have to be electrically connected to each other and grounded, to be a Faraday Cage. I doubt the foil backed insulation is grounded, but maybe.

I've found that stucco houses wrapped with chicken wire to hold it on, are pretty good Faraday cages that block radio signals.

The very basic electricity formula is E = IR E is Elctro-Motive Force measured in volts. I is Current measured in Amps and R is resistance measured in Ohms.

Now you can try to change the meaning of things but it doesn't usually work.