Looking for a lightweight - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Well, while running some risk of being drummed out for inconsistency, but parroting my sons words, a 800 lb tent trailer might be a good alternative for a first trailer when your vehicle is rated at 1500 lbs. That's the sole reason he has me rebuilding tent trailers, rather than FGRV's, for his family TV.

Unfortunately, the price of high mileage can come in the darndest places, like in limited tow capacity.

BTW: No one hereabouts knows if other country versions of your car, with seemingly higher tow limits are, in fact, the same vehicle as we get, nor are the general towing conditions, speeds etc the same. Stick with your book and ignore the others.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
I don't know if the tow rating diiscrepecy between Europe and north America is to protect the owner or the manufacturer of a element but I do know Derrick has towed 7 different 13foot trailers and a 16foot scamp well over 80000 miles without a single issue on the element although none of the trailers has a washroom

Old 05-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #17

California
Again, the book is the book. What some one successfully does has no bearing whatsoever on tow ratings. Add to that, I suspect a lot of those miles were delivering empty trailers that were under the 1500 lb limit and your son is an experienced TV driver, the OP is a newbie.

My Dad refused to ever wear a safety belt, apparently without any ill effect, but does that mean anything???? Nope...
Old 05-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura June View Post
Have you checked out a 13' scamp. I believe they weigh around 1200 lbs.
Sadly thats not the case. Most 13' Scamps loaded up are well over 1500lbs - the lightest one on the the thread Trailer weights in the Real World came in at 1620 lbs the heaviest 13' Scamp weighed in at 1950 lbs.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:51 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Well, after reading a multitude of posts on manufacturing weights and towing limits I have never seen anyone that addressed this so I'll do it. I'm sure this post will get negative responces from a few people, but food for thought anyway. Manufacturers state a max load rating on their items, no matter what it is, a rope, ladder, chair, car or truck, well below the real breaking limit or use point. In this world of people suing everyone over their own actions, remember McDonalds and the hot coffee and burning yourself ?. They use the numbers to cover themselves from being sued. I'm not saying to go WAY overboard on the manufacturers numbers, just that there is a big built in safety factor in them to cover themselves. I've seen to many posts of people towing with different vehicles and trailers for many thousands of miles with no problem that some people may think is the wrong combination for a safe tow. Guess what I'm saying is that it's not black and white with factory numbers for any combination and common sence should be the rule. Kind of like we NEVER drive over the speed limit
There have been many excelent responces to newbies on towing a trailer and to make sure the tug will be good combo with their desired trailer. Just seems to me that some of the responces are aimed to be overly negative, but that's just how I interpet some answers. I totally agree with any over the top safety responce to any question, we all win with that.
Anyway. these are my thoughts. Safe travels to all.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:35 AM   #20
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
One of these might be a more comfortable tow. They also have a bigger bed than a 13'. Raz

http://www.golittleguy.com/model?id=...-Wide-Platform
Old 05-05-2014, 06:54 AM   #21

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
This discussion has been ongoing in many many other threads. (just search under 'towing' or 'tow rating' etc). At this juncture, I think that all everyone has made their opinion known and it is time to close this thread.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #22

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
This thread is being re-opened with a reminder to please keep the discussion focused on the OP's request for a list of lightweight fiberglass campers that can be towed by a vehicle with a 1500lb tow capacity.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #23
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
I was thinking of suggesting Lite House. There were not many of them made (mid-'90s vintage, out of New Mexico), but they were designed to be pulled by a small car. The Weiscraft Little Joe is, I think, a newer incarnation of the Lite House, but the one listed on the real world trailer weights must be very different, as it came in at over 1500 lbs.

Good luck with your search!
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #24

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
This thread is being re-opened with a reminder to please keep the discussion focused on the OP's request for a list of lightweight fiberglass campers that can be towed by a vehicle with a 1500lb tow capacity.
I agree with your comment Pam, BUT could we say that the OP is looking for a trailer that "Weighs under 1500 lbs ready to go" so as to not get into the discussion of what a vehicle that is rated to tow 1500 lbs can pull?

FWIW: I think that the moderators should discourage any discussions encouraging towing in excess of mfgs tow ratings, but that's just my opinion .....
Old 05-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #25

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Interesting discussion on CBC recently about how the web reinforces opinions. There are 7.5 billion people on this earth and a whole lot of those people have web access, and all of them have opinions.
No matter what the opinion, if you Google it, you will find posts that endorse that opinion.
You can find web sites that encourage "cutting", drug use and suicide as recreation.
I don't think there is anything the moderators can do about encouraging over-weight towing.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #26

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
The flat earth society has web access to
Old 05-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #27

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Interesting discussion on CBC recently about how the web reinforces opinions. There are 7.5 billion people on this earth and a whole lot of those people have web access, and all of them have opinions.
No matter what the opinion, if you Google it, you will find posts that endorse that opinion.
You can find web sites that encourage "cutting", drug use and suicide as recreation.
I don't think there is anything the moderators can do about encouraging over-weight towing.
I hope you meant "Discourage overweight Towing"

Sure there is.... Just make that a criteria for posting "No guns, no politics and no over mfgs. weight towing suggestions"

On my Motorhome Tech site I prohibit any discussions about cooking, glamping, travel routes and places to eat.... and any suggestions about towing in excess of stated weight limits, it's a huge issue with Toyota Motorhomes, basically you can't tow anything.....

It's a "Technical Discussions" only forum.....

But lets stick with the OP's question.....
Old 05-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #28

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
How about that new Meercat? Not glass but aluminum, so maybe out of price range, but 900 lbs, new, nice for one.

Tags
light, weight