Looking for a new road atlas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Looking for a new road atlas

A while back I started a thread asking "how many folks still use paper maps?" Many responded that they do. Every time we get lost the navigator blames the map. So, this winter I decided it was time to replace our aging road atlas. We actually have two, a 2006 Roadmaster (Mapquest) large format atlas and and an 2007 American Map large format atlas. Both appear to use the same Map Quest maps, are spiral bound, and have lots of information that is easy to read. Unfortunately if you are in Canada you are out of luck. The large format versions are U.S. only. I was hoping to replace these with an atlas of equal quality that was up to date and included Canada.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1100633873.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	67171

2006 Roadmaster

Name:   image-1042498136.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  67.0 KB

2007 American Map

Name:   image-993900121.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  86.9 KB

2014 Rand Mcnally

Name:   image-2798274082.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  24.7 KB

Michelin

The first one I tried was Rand McNally, a name that has been around for years. Well, if you want Canada, you have to go with the standard edition. These are suppose to be the same detail as the large format just smaller. Perhaps too small. While there's a lot of detail it tends to be confusing. Road numbers appear in the middle of nowhere and campgrounds are hard to identify. Also no topography except for the National Park maps. Maps are organized by state with lots of city maps. An interstate map can be found in the front.

The second try was Michelin. These folk divide the continent into a grid (yes Canada and Mexico are included in the large format version) and present a west to east flow rather than a state by state approach. Despite the large format there is a lot missing. Like rest areas! There are also fewer city maps. No city map of Burlington VT. for example. No topography here either. This one also has an interstate map in the front.

While it may just be I'm used to them, my old atlas seem to be easier to read and contain more detail. If you have one of these map quest derived atlases you may want to take care of it!

Name:	image-2664583701.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	67176

Mapquest

Name:	image-1356370561.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	67177

Rand McNally

Name:	image-3050501822.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	67178

Michelin

Other atlases I found.

Hema produces The Ultimate Road Atlas. The one sample page I found showed similar detail to the Michelin map.

The Kappa group which apparently now owns American Map has decided to "improve" the American Map Atlas much to the chagrin of many. The reviews of their atlas was less than favorable. The sample map shown on their web site (southern Florida) seems to confirm these are not the same maps.

National Geographic sells a road atlas that received good reviews but it's hard to find when it was last updated. (2004? 2010?)

Finally, both Walmart and AAA have road atlases. I did not look either. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #2

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post

Finally, both Walmart and AAA have road atlases. I did not look either. Raz
WalMart's Atlas is the same Rand-McNally you have pictured. It usually costs about 8-9 dollars and includes the addresses of every Walmart. It's cheap enough to buy a new one every year or so when your old one gets too ratty.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I purchase at least one Walmart Atlas per year, keeping one in the tow vehicle, one in the trailer, even one in the stick & brick, all to look up information on locations I haven't planned to be or check out.

For actual maps, I prefer the AAA individual state maps. My local AAA cringes when I come in, knowing I'm probably heading out on one of my country wide trips & will be picking up maps & camp books (well, their "new" Woodall books, not their older, better AAA Campbooks) for 1/2 to 3/4 of the states. They take up a little more room than an Atlas, but provide better resolution, more detail & roads, and show more towns with campgrounds.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Wally World Map

We have experienced a couple of problems with the Walmart map books
1) There are roads in the walmart map book that are shown as under construction yet the roads were completed 3 to 4 years earlier (So much for updating)
2) Their are county roads and state highways which are missing from the Walmart maps but are shown in other map books or on official state maps. We have found several state maps in the walmart map book to be rather incomplete

It appears the only thing that is updated in a walmart map book is the date on the front cover
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We carry the large spiral bound maps but as well we carry individual state and province maps. We stop at visitors centers as we cross state and boundary lines and always pickup a map and other info. Usually the state/province maps are much better and larger than any 'atlas' map, certainly the case for generally neglected places like Newfoundland.

As to construction zones, nothing seems to beat our smart phone for up to date info.

We also generally put the maps aside in the rare city and use the phone for directions.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #6

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Have you taken a look at the Rand-McNally Motor Carriers Atlas?

2014 Motor Carriers' Road Atlas (MCRA) (Rand Mcnally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas): Rand McNally: 9780528009181: Amazon.com: Books

It caters to professional truckers and seems to be well-suited to RV'ers, as well.

Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
WOW you guys are OLD SCHOOL. I use my GPS but do use a paper map once in a while when I want to pre-plan something or want to get fine details.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1flr View Post
Have you taken a look at the Rand-McNally Motor Carriers Atlas?

2014 Motor Carriers' Road Atlas (MCRA) (Rand Mcnally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas): Rand McNally: 9780528009181: Amazon.com: Books

It caters to professional truckers and seems to be well-suited to RV'ers, as well.

Rick

I did look as this one but perhaps not close enough. The maps did not seem much different than the regular atlas with the addition of truck routes, bridge heights, etc. Raz
Old 12-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
WOW you guys are OLD SCHOOL. I use my GPS but do use a paper map once in a while when I want to pre-plan something or want to get fine details.
You must have missed round 1 .

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...map-59019.html
Old 12-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
We do not have cable TV , I phones ,credit cards , cash cards , no dvd player ,no online banking , no home A/C , heat with wood , use maps , pay with cash , our phone only makes phone calls and dial up internet. Our grand children believe we live in the 19th century but we survive
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #11

Florida
Steve,

We have satellite TV, Smart Phones, carry a computer, pad and e-books, credit and debit cards, do online banking, use maps and gps, our phone does everything YET our kids and grandkids still think we're from another time. There's just no way to keep up. We adopt those technologies that make our road life easier and in some sense possible.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
That's the key Norm and Ginny......
What works for you - works for you.

I know just enough to get by.
Nothing fancy pansy. Still don't know about iPhones or iPads, etc.
My mentally retarded daughter does things on hers and I just shake my head.
She can't read or write so she still calls ol' dad.......LOL
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #13

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
I'm not a fan of gps.....old school, dinosaur generation tyvm. I've used the rand McNally across the US with no problems. Having all the walmarts listed including the off ramp # was very helpful.

I've heard benchmark was a good choice also.

If you enter my location into a GPS device.....it takes you on seasonal roads where you won't be found until spring. If you are pulling a trailer.... Forget it!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
My GPS has led me astray and I had to get back on the road
using the atlas.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #15

Florida
Jay and Cark,

We are really big map people when driving cross country but when we need to find the Harbor Freight or Fry's Electronics in an unfamiliar city we switch on the GPS. (We only have the GPS on our phones. The phone's GPS is particularly handy for geocaching)

When we're on the road for up to 11 months the smartphone makes banking and money control very easy.

Maybe most important the computer, phone and pad keep us connected to friends, family and the news of the world.

We never use the phone's GPS for crossing the coastal ranges of Oregon for example.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I'm a big fan of both maps & a GPS. The map gives a great overall view of the area, while the GPS will provide a smaller, but much more detailed view. Both can lead you astray - you have to add some common sense with either.

My favorite "bad map" story was a 1972 trip in July from NY to Leadville, CO. AAA made us a TripTik that routed us on Mosquito Pass Road between Alma & Leadville. On the map it looks like a good idea. In reality, while called a county road, it is a jeep trail that goes over 13, 185' high pass that doesn't usually open until August. Our friends in Leadville gave us the proper route, and, on a later trip, took us to the pass in their Trooper; it is safe to say my 1969 Camero would not have liked the drive!
Attached Thumbnails
leadville1.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote