Looking for a replacement fridge... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-13-2006, 01:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 76 13 ft Scamp (fits in my Garage...Yeah)
Hello Forum

My 83 Burro was delayed till thursday...but I allready know what i want to do for my first mod...I want to replace the icebox for a propane /110 ac fridge....

Where are the best places to go to find a replacement?

Thanks

Jim
jimtesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Here's the link for a Norcold replacement for standard icebox. Mike
Norcold 323T
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
My 83 Burro was delayed till thursday...but I allready know what i want to do for my first mod...I want to replace the icebox for a propane /110 ac fridge....

Where are the best places to go to find a replacement?

Thanks

Jim
Do not go to Camping world!
I just aquired a 99 burro and am replacing the ice box.
I bought refrigerator at Camping World last week and was going to put it in this weekend but the grandkids are coming for a few days before school starts.
I called Camping World and they said they could install it Friday morning but could not give me an estimate. I drove 60 miles one way today and they told me it would cost $1096.54 to install my refer. This price is after I had cut the cabinet opening to the proper size and ran the 110 and 12 volt circut. Needless to say, Camping World will not see me anymore.
They even charged me $60.00 shipping on the refer.
The Norcold price is very good as $448.00 was the best price that I could find.
Good luck,
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:11 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
We too faced the fridge dilemma ... and decided to scrap the propane system altogether. In Florida it's mostly too hot to cook inside anyway so we replaced the rusted out stove with a cutting board and a nice stainless steel Brinkman two burner camp stove that we can move to an outside table.

Since we generally don't rough it ... we stay plugged in ... we opted for a 4.3 cubic foot 110v fridge that we got at Sam's Club for $130. The amazing thing is that this little fridge (made by GE) uses under 150 watts of power. That means that for traveling down the road we can run it off an inverter (in theory anyway since we haven't tried this yet) wired to the battery.

A couple of solar panels should be able to provide 150 watts of power on a sunny day ... we'll see if we get that far.

Yes, we had to modify the cabinet and no I don't have pics yet. I'll follow up soon with pictures of the whole thing. We also installed a matching GE microwave above the fridge and below the upper cabinet. (beats me why but she wanted it and she makes the rules)

Oh yeah, scrapping the propane bottle allows room for a tongue box ... we'll see how that works out.
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:45 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
We too faced the fridge dilemma ... and decided to scrap the propane system altogether. In Florida it's mostly too hot to cook inside anyway so we replaced the rusted out stove with a cutting board and a nice stainless steel Brinkman two burner camp stove that we can move to an outside table.

Since we generally don't rough it ... we stay plugged in ... we opted for a 4.3 cubic foot 110v fridge that we got at Sam's Club for $130. The amazing thing is that this little fridge (made by GE) uses under 150 watts of power. That means that for traveling down the road we can run it off an inverter (in theory anyway since we haven't tried this yet) wired to the battery.

A couple of solar panels should be able to provide 150 watts of power on a sunny day ... we'll see if we get that far.

Yes, we had to modify the cabinet and no I don't have pics yet. I'll follow up soon with pictures of the whole thing. We also installed a matching GE microwave above the fridge and below the upper cabinet. (beats me why but she wanted it and she makes the rules)

Oh yeah, scrapping the propane bottle allows room for a tongue box ... we'll see how that works out.
It's great to hear ideas from another Floridian. The Boler I just got a couple of months ago and hopefully soon will be able to get started on re-fitting, only came with electric. Maybe the previous owners decided like you. I was considering having to install propane along with solar so we could boondock but though my wife talks about it I think we are going to end up getting hook-up sites to be able to run an a/c.

So I appreciate your take on the matter! Food for thought here!

Edit: P.S. Looking forward to those pics!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:14 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
We too faced the fridge dilemma ... and decided to scrap the propane system altogether.
Oh yeah, scrapping the propane bottle [b]allows room for a tongue box ...
Quote:
I think we are going to end up getting hook-up sites [b]to be able to run an a/c.
Maybe a Honda eu2000 in a sound-proofed tongue box to run the refridgerator & air conditioner?
Old 08-19-2006, 07:56 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Maybe a Honda eu2000 in a sound-proofed tongue box to run the refridgerator & air conditioner?
Possibly ... although gasoline storage and exhaust fumes bother me some. I was looking at a 'Kipor' genset? They offer a 1300 watt unit that might do the trick. I've used Honda and Coleman generators on the boat before but the Coleman was extremely noisy and the Honda, while quieter, wasn't exactly quiet when nearly fully loaded. Neither unit was intended for long term run times ... the fuel tanks held maybe 4 hours worth ...

It's a thought though ...

With the inverter, the issue will be the charging circuit from the tug's alternator ... automotive alternators have built in regulators that are not suited to heavy duty recharging of deep cycle batteries. Plus the wiring is too light to support say 50 or 60 amps of charging juice. I'm not crazy about where that line of reasoning leads ... namely reengineering the tow vehicle's electrical systems.

The genset may be the answer and provide some independence too while avoiding all the inverter issues.
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:00 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Hey Frederick;

Thanks! That's a great idea. I could add that later if we find we ever do venture out to the boondocks! No! Wait! You are totally right of course! I NEED A GENERATOR RIGHT NOW! What was I thinking?! I need it for back up for the house as well and I don't have one yet!

I must start this campaign with the wife immediately!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:39 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I must start this campaign with the wife immediately!
I got that idea from this website:
http://www.campingtrek.com/
You could just get one of those...

Tags
fridge