Looking for advice/First trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
We've owned a pop up, a Scamp 13, a Pleasure-way van and now the Bigfoot. Each one has it's advantages and disadvantages.

The set-up with the pop up was a royal pain but the 360 degree views were fantastic. Heating and cooling one is ineffectual at best, at least in Florida. We had one with a storage trunk on the front and that was awesome. Something to consider is loading it before you go. If it has a fridge you'd have to pop it up or crawl on your belly to load it or you'll be taking a cooler and transferring everything in camp. Pop ups are nice to tow since they have less frontal area and we could see over ours. Rain and pop ups suck!

The first time we took the Scamp out we set-up so fast we thought we missed something. I walked around and double checked everything, got a cold drink and settled into my chair, all in under half the time it took to set up the pop up. I could definitely feel it behind me but I towed it with a Jeep JK 2-door. For us, 2 adults and maybe 1 child would be the max for a 13.

The carry out stove is mainly a pop up thing and something I miss. We have a Coleman two burner stove we use outside with a small folding table but that carryout was cool.

If I were to do it all over I'd still start with a pop up. We bought one that was 8 years old and in great shape for $2500. When we purchased ours most of them were family car friendly and you can fit four fairly easily. The extra work is just part of being able to have a fridge, furnace, sink etc... I like the 10 foot boxes with the storage trunks. King on one end and double on the other. Keep it in a garage and it will last a good while.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #22

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
We started out camping with our 2 children (under 4yrs old) in a volkswagen camping van, then had two very small tent style trailers prior to getting a 13' Scamp (we are on our 2nd one now). If we could have done it over, we would have started out with the Scamp. Michigan is always rainey when you camp, and the setting up/ taking down is bad enough without having to do it wet. We are almost always out of the trailer anyway, so the small area in the 13' Scamp is only for sleeping or eating.
Both of our Scamps were 20 to 22 years old when we purchased them, and didn't need a thing, but that never stopped me from changing things to better meet our needs/desires. We also sold our first Scamp for what we paid for it, 13 years later.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Is over 10 years old worth looking at:
Our 39 y.o.+ 1973 Hunter Compact-II was is in great original condition when I repainted and updated the appliances and water & electrical systems last year.
Our Lil' Bigfoot is 18 y.o. and seems as new.
Unlike Love, fiberglass is forever...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My trailer is soon to be 25 years old, I've owned it for 10 years as of three days ago. I've changed the axle and added an awning and believe I could sell it for what I have into it right now.

Willy, if you decide a 13' all molded trailer is for you, I can provide some links that show what families have done to the front gaucho to create safe and secure sleeping areas for small children.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
.......I can provide some links that show what families have done to the front gaucho to create safe and secure sleeping areas for small children.

Best of luck!

Pssst....a gaucho is a bunk bed.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Pssst....a gaucho is a bunk bed.
Psssst. I know. But the links show "cribs" instead of bunks.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Psssst. I know. But the links show "cribs" instead of bunks.
The Pssst was for the OP, not you , Donna.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #28

Oh, well... now we ALL know.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
For a couple with no children but eventual plans for two, a 13' is a good size. The front bunks will suffice until the kids are 10 or 12 years old, roughly. By then you may feel ready for something different and have a pretty good idea what that something is, and your 13' egg likely will sell for as much as you paid for it if not more.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #30

Name: Willy
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Quote:
My trailer is soon to be 25 years old, I've owned it for 10 years as of three days ago. I've changed the axle and added an awning and believe I could sell it for what I have into it right now.

Willy, if you decide a 13' all molded trailer is for you, I can provide some links that show what families have done to the front gaucho to create safe and secure sleeping areas for small children.

Best of luck!
That would be great since I think that is what I'm leaning toward. I had contacted Scamp and asked if there were any Scamp owners in the area that I could visit to take a look at. They gave me 2 numbers that I plan on contacting after the holidays. Does anyone know of any other way to find Scamp owners who have 13' trailers that I can take a look at. I'd just like to get an overall appreciation of the size and build quality.

Also, is there a good resource somewhere to find used Scamp's?
jawsthemeswimming4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #31

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Besides the FOR SALE ads on this site, I frequent the following:
Craigs list
findanyrv.com
and
http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/

According to the Jeep web site, your Patriot has a towing limitof 2000 lbs. That pretty much rules out all by the 13' in the Scamp lineup.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #32

Name: Willy
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Besides the FOR SALE ads on this site, I frequent the following:
Craigs list
findanyrv.com
and
http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/

According to the Jeep web site, your Patriot has a towing limitof 2000 lbs. That pretty much rules out all by the 13' in the Scamp lineup.
Yes, the 13' will be my only option. I will check out those sites and see what is available. Any other info anyone can provide to someone in my situation would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!
jawsthemeswimming4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #33

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
There are/were other makers of 13s besides Scamp. I think you will see many Scamps for sale; I wouldn't rule out other makes if they become available within what you would consider a reasonable driving distance.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #34

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Crowded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
As my profile indicates, having just added a Starcraft pop-up this weekend, we seem to have one of everything in out fleet'

I don't know of any 13-14' FGRV built that will be comfortable for 4 people, that are all over the age of about 8, on a rainy day, much less when sleeping, .

But why, just for sake of discussion, did you specify dry weight? They are never towed at that weight.

And well equipped for $7000, pretty much rules out anything that's not at least 10 years old.

All that said, I agree that a pop-up may well be your best bet. We had one for our family for a number of years and did experience the rain factor more than a few times, but the investment is low, most are fairly sturdy and kid proof, and they are a lot easier to tow.

Here's a good place to start learning about that part of our family:
PopUpPortal
We have a 16 ft. Scamp SD with bath . We have taken our 2 grand daughters (8 yr + 10 yr) weekend camping with us on several occasions and find that when it's raining or when sleeping that my wife and I feel cramped for space. I could not fathom taking 2 kid for a long trip in a 13 ft Scamp.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #35

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have a 16 ft. Scamp SD with bath . We have taken our 2 grand daughters (8 yr + 10 yr) weekend camping with us on several occasions and find that when it's raining or when sleeping that my wife and I feel cramped for space. I could not fathom taking 2 kid for a long trip in a 13 ft Scamp.
I have 5 kids. We use a Trillium 4500, which is not quite 2' longer then a 1300, but with exactly the same, but stretched, floor plan.
We sleep most of the kids in the trailer, and my wife and I sleep in our van, with the youngest kid.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote