Looking for advice/First trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #1

Name: Willy
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Looking for advice/First trailer

I'm debating between a pop up and a travel trailer. I'm just looking for suggestions/pointers. Here are my thoughts so far:

1. Must be under 1500lbs unloaded
2. I'd prefer to stay around the $7000 range
3. Must be able to sleep 4
4. Would like a fridge (small fridge is fine)
3. Must have a sink
4. Must have a stove (would prefer a removable stove so it could be used outside as well)
5. Would like heat and AC
6. Don't want anything too old
7. I want something that will last
8. Must have a table inside that seats four to use on rainy days for dinner
9. Nothing over 13 or 14 feet

I've been looking at new Scamp, Escape, Trillium Outback, and even Taylor travel trailers. A new Scamp 13' with the options I want comes out around $14000, which is significantly more thant I want to spend. Does anyone have any recommendations based on the points above?
jawsthemeswimming4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV Willy!

Points, yes... for $7,000 you're looking for used in the all molded world, and that can be a good thing

You'll have a tough time keeping a loaded 13' trailer to under 1,500 pounds when you're talking about the stuff for four people. Check out this thread for more information: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Good luck on your hunt!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
Thanks for the quick reply. As for the weight, I meant 1500lbs unloaded. I look forward to hearing from more of you and any advice you can give.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I think a popup would be a better option for you. When our two kids were still at home, we used an old Starcraft popup, still have it. I'm pretty sure it weighs more than 1500 though. Do some research in that direction too. Lots of used popups out there. We bought a nice Jayco for our daughter that needed canvas, $1000 to replace the canvas, $500 for the trailer, two new tires and it was ready to go.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
bob is correct---with children, there is a definite advantage to having the added space that a pop-up/tent trailer provides.

however.....here is where i will weigh in with our own personal experience....as far as loading and unloading the car with camping stuff, a pop-up that allows storage is supreme. storing it inside and only adding clothing and food to get away for a weekend trip is incredibly freeing. but---and it's a huge BUT to me----if the weather is inclement when you are setting up or taking down the unit, you will only have to do it once...perhaps twice if you are very patient,....before you will be willing to donate a kidney instead of having to do it in the rain! as much as having the luxury of the added space, i'd have a solid trailer again in a heartbeat...unless i could guarantee perfect weather when i camp. (and if you have that ability, could you please sell it to me, really cheap!).

just my two cents worth ---from many , many years of tenting and tent trailering/pop-up trailering with our kids.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Willy, how old are the kids? I'm asumming kids, although you didn't say... you just said "3. Must be able to sleep 4"
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The law of tents and popups: it will almost surely be raining, rained the night before, or at least a heavy dew when it's time to close it up. There has been many times that we have had to close it up wet, and open it and dry it out when we got home, but as many or more times when we didn't. It's just one of those things that go along with the fun of camping. Our old popup would sleep 8, has two tables, and was roomy enough for our two kids to bring a friend along. We've had it so long I won't part with it. Replaced the canvas once, we've owned it since 1978! We use a screen room now with our Uhaul and teardrop, plus another canopy, so we still get to fold up wet stuff at times. Just have to have the attitude to accept the way the weather is, we can't change it!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Here you go and it's from COSTCO.

Lifetime® Camping Tent Trailer
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As my profile indicates, having just added a Starcraft pop-up this weekend, we seem to have one of everything in out fleet'

I don't know of any 13-14' FGRV built that will be comfortable for 4 people, that are all over the age of about 8, on a rainy day, much less when sleeping, .

But why, just for sake of discussion, did you specify dry weight? They are never towed at that weight.

And well equipped for $7000, pretty much rules out anything that's not at least 10 years old.

All that said, I agree that a pop-up may well be your best bet. We had one for our family for a number of years and did experience the rain factor more than a few times, but the investment is low, most are fairly sturdy and kid proof, and they are a lot easier to tow.

Here's a good place to start learning about that part of our family:
http://www.popupportal.com/index.php

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #10

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
We started with a pop-up and used it for years. Now we have a 13' Scamp and love it.

I think which you go with comes down to a variety of preferences. With the pop-up we would go to a spot usually within several hours of our house and setup camp for several days to a week. We never used it on our out of state vacations when we were traveling around to a variety of spots because we had limited time on vacation and didn't want to spend an hour or two per day putting the camper up and down.

This year with the Scamp and our minivan we did both the camping for a week in one spot and also the 6000 mile trip to CA and loved it.

The biggest difference is the Scamp is MUCH smaller inside (painful when it is raining outside), but it is nice to setup.

My wife and I have 3 kids. 2 kids (over 10) sleep in the Scamp with us. The oldest child usually sleeps in the van or in a tent when he comes along.

We paid about what you want to pay for ours and it is only a few years old. We added a fridge and AC and just use electric heat.

If it was me, it would all come down to how I was going to vacation and how often we would be setting up and taking down. But as people often note, you have to figure out what fits you the best and what priorities you have.

If you aren't experienced with either of these options, consider renting to better inform your choice.

Enjoy the camping. We have loved doing it with our family.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #11

Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
Florida
You may like the one I just got. Casita 16' weighs 1400 lbs. floor plan like pic but with fridge and micro

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3020855032.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	53558

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4285394705.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	53557
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #12

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Willy go here.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Record of trailers weighed in use. Easy to keep a 13 footer under 2Klbs. A 16 can be kept under 3K with a little effort put into what to take and what not.

Jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #13

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
You may like the one I just got. Casita 16' weighs 1400 lbs. floor plan like pic but with fridge and micro

Attachment 53558

Attachment 53557
Andyman: unless you keep your Casita filled with helium, you might want to check your weight figure again!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #14

Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
Florida
I haven't had it weighed but the # is from the original shipping document
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #15

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Willy, how old are the kids? I'm asumming kids, although you didn't say... you just said "3. Must be able to sleep 4"
No kids yet, but within the next few years. So we want something that has the ability to accommodate that.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #16

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
As my profile indicates, having just added a Starcraft pop-up this weekend, we seem to have one of everything in out fleet'

I don't know of any 13-14' FGRV built that will be comfortable for 4 people, that are all over the age of about 8, on a rainy day, much less when sleeping, .

But why, just for sake of discussion, did you specify dry weight? They are never towed at that weight.

And well equipped for $7000, pretty much rules out anything that's not at least 10 years old.

All that said, I agree that a pop-up may well be your best bet. We had one for our family for a number of years and did experience the rain factor more than a few times, but the investment is low, most are fairly sturdy and kid proof, and they are a lot easier to tow.

Here's a good place to start learning about that part of our family:
PopUpPortal
I asked for dry weight because I can manage the loaded weight. I have a 2012 Jeep Patriot 4x4 with a 2.4L 4cyl engine so I need to make sure my vehicle would be able to tow it. Are ten year old trailers worth looking at?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsthemeswimming4 View Post
... Are ten year old trailers worth looking at?

For a fiberglass trailer, that might be too new.

But seriously, if the floor is not rotten, they last 40+ years.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsthemeswimming4 View Post
Are ten year old trailers worth looking at?
Of the four Trilliums that I own, the youngest is 34 years old. The first one I bought had been sitting in a field for the last several years. Other then the impressive accumulation of dead bugs, the trailer was in good shape. After an afternoon of cleaning, it was ready to camp in.
Fibreglass trailers are very durable. That is not to say that you should not inspect them when you are shopping. As mentioned a rotten floor is a problem, but still repairable. Where a rotten floor on a stick built trailer is fatal.
An old fibreglass trailer may be the least expensive way to get camping, after a pup tent.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'm with Dave W on this. Our trailer is young compared to his at 22 years old. A fiberglass trailer can virtually last forever. Truly amazing in their longevity. People rarely think ours is 22.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #20

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Tom isn't being facetious. As with wine, there are good years in fiberglass camping trailers and also bad. A marque with a great reputation way back when can be sold and "go downhill" under new management. Some sit in the street and some are garaged; there are "time capsule" trailers and great numbers from the land that time visited every day, much to their detriment. Looking at this site, I see many trailers more than 10 yrs. old--perhaps a majority among those who post regularly. Maybe we need to commiserate about deferred maintenance and repair with those in the same old boat so to speak. There's some truth to that but not all the truth. Each of us must find our own truth and our own trailer. It's a voyage in the literal sense. One must see what one is able to see.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote