Looking for advice We won how to carry bicycles - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #21

Name: Tom and Joy
Trailer: Scamp 16
Santa Rosa, California
I received another response to my inquires about bike racks on towed vehicles. This from LetsGoAero, maker of the Bike Wing racks:

Hi Thomas,

Good afternoon.
While towable RV's can create a pretty rough ride we have rated our BikeWing-2 to hand those conditions. If you would like to see some photos and reviews of customers with Rpods and other small trailer trailers, we have a couple on our website and our friends at etrailer have a ton as well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Warm Regards,

Amanda Kennedy
LetsGoAero
(719) 630-3800 or (877) 464-2376
ThomasBalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Tongue mount is not only better against sway, it is far better on the bikes. I carry mine on front and have for 14 years. Bike racks on the back of a trailer are really rough on bikes.
Hi. We also have a 13 Scamp and have been searching for a way to carry our hybrid bikes. could you make this great carrier for us? We are in Oregon

Joanne
Joanne B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #23

Name: Kent
Trailer: shopping
WA
You may have already invested in the bikes and are just looking for a way to carry them.

But if it were me and I was designing an over-the-road travel system and wanted to bring bikes, I would buy two decent folding bikes and just store them inside the camper when not in use. That solves the problem of expensive racks and will also make it much easier to toss the bikes inside the car or tow vehicle when you want. Also let you bring the bikes on public transportion in larger cities and just bring them inside with you in stores and places like that where you might be afraid to lock them outside. Or just store them inside the camper at the campground. Something like a Brompton or Tern:

https://www.brompton.com/
https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes
texasdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #24

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Makes a good argument for towing with a pickup truck with a canopy. My Rad City e-bike, (which weighs around 65 Lbs, isn't well suited to being hefted up onto a roof mount or anywhere I would have to lift it higher than my tailgate,) rides in a removable SARIS mount in the bed of the truck, with separate front fork and removed front wheel mounts. It isn't even attached to the bed, and it doesn't move around at all in transit.
https://www.saris.com/product/traps-triple
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...-commuter-bike
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:59 PM   #25

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasBalmer View Post
I received another response to my inquires about bike racks on towed vehicles. This from LetsGoAero, maker of the Bike Wing racks:

Hi Thomas,

Good afternoon.
While towable RV's can create a pretty rough ride we have rated our BikeWing-2 to hand those conditions. If you would like to see some photos and reviews of customers with Rpods and other small trailer trailers, we have a couple on our website and our friends at etrailer have a ton as well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Warm Regards,

Amanda Kennedy
LetsGoAero
(719) 630-3800 or (877) 464-2376
We have a Bike Wing, specifically because it's RV-rated. It's not the easiest to use (for two mountain bikes) but it works OK and it's light. We've put about 10,000 miles on ours with no problem, using the OMW Casita hitch receiver bolted to our frame.
I did discover the bikes get quite dirty back there, and the chains rust easily, I believe because of the steel used to make them. We don't have a lot of rear axle capacity to spare, or I'd mount the bikes on the tongue.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #26

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne B View Post
Hi. We also have a 13 Scamp and have been searching for a way to carry our hybrid bikes. could you make this great carrier for us? We are in Oregon

Joanne

Yes Floyd should make us all bike carriers! Worth a try, but I think you'll find most people highly value their time, and won't be starting a side business. I know a guy who is a very skilled welder, and people are always asking him who built the toy carrier on the back of his truck. When he tells them he did, they usually offer to buy it from him on the spot. He's retired, and his friends are always asking him to weld stuff for them. He declines about 98% of the time. He is retired, after all..
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #27

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
There are companies that make and sell RV tongue bike racks. There is no way you could have someone fabricate you a rack at these prices, unless you have a friend that is a welder.

One nice thing about option #1 below is it stays with the tow vehicle. So whether the trailer is attached or not, you can take the bikes with you.

There is this style (cheapest option, not extended receiver):

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...rt/C18013.html

Here's a second style:

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp.../LC429756.html

Here's another one:

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #28

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by amieVA View Post
Thanks for the helpful responses. It seems like a tow vehicle rack might be the simplest option for this summer. I have always wanted to take a welding class though....

I had a welding shop add a 2 inch reciever to my scamp. Now they can come with them ;-) I have used both my 4 bike and 2 bike racks. Not sure if I would try a long trip with the four bike. It seems highly dependent on the mount being on a vehicle with full suspension. ;-) Would have no problem with using the 2 bike. I also used the hitch to tow a friend's fishing boat about 3 miles to safe parking in a break down emergency, so the shop did well. And Scamp makes go product.

Would have more information for you, but I now because of an accident I ride a Trident Stowaway recumbent trike. Folds up and fits nicely in the tow vehicle. Can get it into the camper, but it is a bitch. Have bout 3000 miles on mine. Would recommend them to anyone considering this as an option. Stowaway | Trident Trikes, Recumbent Trikes, Chameleon Convertitrike, Stowaway Folding Trike
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #29

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Yesterday I read that Hollywood Racks does not approve of any of their racks being used on a towed vehicle. I wrote and asked them why, and just this morning got this response (talk about timing!):

Tom, Any trailer or trailered vehicle (including 5th wheel type) has a slight side to side motion that's very low frequency (1 to 1-1/2 times per second) that fatigues the steel from which the racks are manufactured. The fatigue first happens at a molecular level, but eventually (several thousands of cycles later) a visible crack will appear......
Blimey.
I'm surprised the back of every trailer doesn't fall off!

Several thousand cycles == about an hour.

Hmmmm
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:06 PM   #30

Name: Tom and Joy
Trailer: Scamp 16
Santa Rosa, California
While initially saying their BikeWing-2 racks will work on towed RVs, Let'sGoAero is now stating on sales literature that the BikeWing-2 is approved only for powered RVs.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
While initially saying their BikeWing-2 racks will work on towed RVs, Let'sGoAero is now stating on sales literature that the BikeWing-2 is approved only for powered RVs.
That's because the suspension is completely different in a motor home type RV so the driver doesn't bounce out of his/her seat. Take a ride in a towed rig sometime - dramatic difference. Hold on when you hit a speed bump or wear a crash helmet.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:38 AM   #32

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Timing: not too late, but too late

I logged on an hour before our departure with bikes on back to see what other alternative I could consider that would me to add the cargo rack back on instead of the bike rack. when I read this:
Quote:
Yesterday I read that Hollywood Racks does not approve of any of their racks being used on a towed vehicle. I wrote and asked them why, and just this morning got this response (talk about timing!):

Tom, Any trailer or trailered vehicle (including 5th wheel type) has a slight side to side motion that's very low frequency (1 to 1-1/2 times per second) that fatigues the steel from which the racks are manufactured. The fatigue first happens at a molecular level, but eventually (several thousands of cycles later) a visible crack will appear. Once the crack has formed, it will enlarge, finally to the point where the rack drops off the vehicle and the rack (and bikes) impact the roadway. ..... Thank you, Jen Dickson / Hollywood Racks

And guess whose rack we have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'm a licensed Professional Engineer (Mechanical) in Oregon. This reply means that the manufacturer is not capable of performing a proper weld on their product.

The Hardlygood Rack isn't welded. It's bent from square steel tube with an assortment of holes drilled for through pins and through bolts by which the cross pieces are attached. I suspect the crack propogation comes from these holes, likely the one for the hitch pin.

I have slack snubbing hitch pins installed. That will reduce any slop and 'slide hammer' effect, but isn't perfect. I'm also going to add some ratchet straps to: 1, take up what I hope will be most of the 'crack-the-whip' effect of side to side sway, and 2, act as break-away retainers should the metal succumb.

It's too late to do much more than that. We're going about 40 miles away, (Darned small states and travel restrictions...), so I expect we'll be OK.
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #33

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
We made it without incident.
this time....
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:22 PM   #34

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I just ordered a pair of e-bikes. The rack I made 20 years ago probably won't work well for the e-bikes so I am just starting to research and figure out what to use with these. I like the idea on putting them on the tonque. We have a 17ft Bigfoot so need to be able to open the rock guard after removing the bikes.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote